--Rainbow(s)

Mechanics:
--Campaign/Battle Card Driven
--Area Control/Area Influence
--Paper and Pencil
--Deck/Pool Building
--Dice Rolling

DATES

The start date for the contest will be Thursday, 1 September. Submissions will be due by midnight (your timezone) on Sunday, 18 September. (Meaning you will have all day Sunday to finalize your designs. I will stop accepting submissions at 2300 hours on Monday, 19 September, Mountain Standard time. I know how timezones work, people. You can't tell me on Tuesday morning that it's still Sunday night for you.)

Voting will take place during the last two calendar weeks of September and the first two weeks of October. Votes must be in by midnight on Sunday, 16 October. (You will have all day Sunday to complete your printing and playing.)

THE RULES
Spoiler (click to reveal)

1. You must use at least two of the seven "ingredients" given. You may use more, but it will not necessarily win you any bonus points.

2. Submission guidelines (found below) must be strictly adhered to.

3. Any ingredient used must be or feel like an integral part of the game, rather than merely "tacked on." This is, of course, somewhat subjective. Therefore, if you can defend the use of a particular theme or mechanic within your game, feel free to do so.

4. Rules may be subject to modification, but only for the purposes of clarification or to better adhere to BGG guidelines.

5. As always, keep comments civil and constructive on this and all WIP threads.

SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
Spoiler (click to reveal)

1. All submissions will be made on the submission thread, and must include:

a. Designer's or designers' name(s)
b. Name of game submission
c. List of necessary components
d. Brief explanation of the game, including approximate time to play
e. Link to game files, or (preferably) link to Work-In-Progress thread
f. Photo of the game, OR link to VASSAL module of the game

2. Games that have been previously designed for other contests are allowed, but only if they contain at least two contest ingredients.

3. Games that do not contain at least two required ingredients can be submitted if modifications are made so that the game does fit the contest.

4. There are no limits to the number of components, but remember that players may not wish to print out and try your game if it requires 27 pages of cards or 416 eurocubes.

5. No mechanics are disallowed, as long as the game still fits the contest. You can even do roll-and-move, if you like, but the moderator may or may not tease you for doing so.

6. Multiple submissions per designer are allowed and are, in fact, encouraged.

PRIZES

The prize pot will be split among the first, second, and third place winners in a 3-2-1 ratio.

The moderator will contribute 25 Geekgold to the prize pot. Any and all tips to this thread as well as the submission thread will go towards the prize pot.

Current prize pot: 398 Geekgold

SUBMITTED GAMES

Star Conquest, by Jose Carlos de Diego

Dominant Species Express
, by Jack Neal

Off World Colonies
, by Todd Sanders

Dark Star, by Kevin Eagles

Battlestar Galactica Express, by Evan Derrick

Stellar Prospector, by Sharon Adamson

Chromatix, by Chad Mestdagh

Prismatic Battles, by Pierre Rebstock

Star Armada, by Sean Johnson

Mighty Morphin’ Rainbow Rangers
, by Catch 22

Shattering the Equilibrium, by Andrey Stoliarov

Writer’s Block, by Colin Germain and Aaron Trammell

THE WINNERS

To determine the winners of the contest, I had everyone fill out a poll (see page five of this thread) of five questions for each game. Each question was weighted differently:

Fun: 0-5 points
Ease of Creation: 0-3 points
Art: 0-3 points
Rules: 0-2 points
Favorite: 1 point per vote

The points were averaged in each category and then totaled. The games with the highest overall totals will receive first, second, and third place prizes. Side prizes will be given to the games that had the highest score in each of the four categories (Fun, Ease of Creation, Art, and Rules). An additional consolation prize will be doled out to the game with the lowest overall score.

And now for the winners of the Iron Game Designer Contest.

Drum roll, please...

First Place Winner
Colin Germain and Aaron Trammell, with Writer's Block! (13.333 points)

Second Place Winner
Todd Sanders, with Off World Colonies! (11.667 points)

Third Place Winner
Chad Mestdagh, with Chromatix! (10.4 points)

Most Fun
Colin Germain and Aaron Trammell, with Writer's Block (3.333 out of 5)

Easiest to Create
Jack Neal, with Dominant Species Express (2.778 out of 3)

Best Art
Colin Germain and Aaron Trammell, with Writer's Block (2.889 out of 3)

Clearest Rules
TIE!
Todd Sanders, with Off World Colonies (2 out of 2)
Evan Derrick, with Battlestar Galactica Express (2 out of 2)

Honorable Mention
Catch 22, with Mighty Morphin' Rainbow Rangers (7.25 points)

You can check out the full results in this lovely spreadsheet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
...Well, I have to say, I expected a bit more debate on the rules. Apparently everyone is pretty okay with the contest as they stand?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Adamson
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just one quick question, given the (purposefully) heroic turnaround time for design--which time zone will the midnight deadline be (for those of us in, say, New Zealand ...)?

Thanks!
Sharon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
snookums wrote:
Just one quick question, given the (purposefully) heroic turnaround time for design--which time zone will the midnight deadline be (for those of us in, say, New Zealand ...)?

Thanks!
Sharon

That's a fair question. I'll be watching the clock in my own time zone (Mountain Standard, USA), but if your timezone is behind mine, I'll gladly make allowances for that. Just as long as everything is in by midnight on YOUR timezone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Adamson
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I think technically my time zone is currently about 18 hours or so ahead of yours, but I'll just stick to your timing (which is probably more convenient for me anyway, since I've never been a 'midnight' kind of gal).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
snookums wrote:
Thanks. I think technically my time zone is currently about 18 hours or so ahead of yours, but I'll just stick to your timing (which is probably more convenient for me anyway, since I've never been a 'midnight' kind of gal).

That works. If your timezone is is ahead of mine, feel free to stick to my schedule rather than yours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Humphrey
United States
Culver
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this contest still a go today?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i am poised to start
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fee
United States
Corning
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No fair! They're using brains against us! We removed our brains to make room for guns and explosives!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm starting to poise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Trammell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
BOOM!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ready to rock!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, the rules are up on this thread. I will now create a separate thread that will be exclusively for submissions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The submission thread is up! Please remember that this thread is for submissions only. Contain any discussion to this thread or to the WIP threads that will, hopefully, be created.

Also, any and all tips are welcome and will go straight to the prize pot for this contest.

Good luck, everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Incidentally, I will not be participating in this contest. The fact that I have had these themes and mechanics in mind longer than anyone else would (obviously) give me an unfair advantage in a contest that is so short on time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Adamson
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
Mechanics:
--Paper and Pencil
--Deck/Pool Building
--Dice Rolling

Hi, sorry for the silly question, but I'm a relative novice here. Are there commonly agreed definitions of each of the mechanics you mention?

Thanks very much
Sharon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
snookums wrote:
Hi, sorry for the silly question, but I'm a relative novice here. Are there commonly agreed definitions of each of the mechanics you mention?

You can check them out here: http://boardgamegeek.com/browse/boardgamemechanic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Adamson
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:
snookums wrote:

Thanks. Alas, I probably haven't designed or played enough games to understand exactly how these work, as they are very brief descriptions (for example, based on the description, I would have said that Race for the Galaxy has a deck building mechanic, but it's not listed as a deck-building game). This wouldn't worry me so much, but I don't want to end up creating a game that doesn't actually use one of the right mechanisms!

I guess the only thing for it is to give it a go...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fee
United States
Corning
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No fair! They're using brains against us! We removed our brains to make room for guns and explosives!
mbmbmbmbmb
snookums wrote:
lordrahvin wrote:
snookums wrote:

Thanks. Alas, I probably haven't designed or played enough games to understand exactly how these work, as they are very brief descriptions (for example, based on the description, I would have said that Race for the Galaxy has a deck building mechanic, but it's not listed as a deck-building game). This wouldn't worry me so much, but I don't want to end up creating a game that doesn't actually use one of the right mechanisms!

I guess the only thing for it is to give it a go...

You can search (using the advanced search) by mechanic to find games that use it. Check to see if those games have rules posted (or better yet, find some PnPs that have the mechacnic you are seeking) to allow you to get a feel for the mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fee
United States
Corning
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
1. A separate thread will be created at the beginning of the contest. All submissions will be made on that thread, and must include:

Should we put an entry to show our WIP into the submission thread (and edit as details become available such as play time, pics, etc.) or just put it here until it is "submission worthy"?

(And apologies to Mark Cookman, but I don't foresee zombies in my entry for this one - but there are leprechauns)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alright i think i have an idea settled on.

Film: Blade Runner
Mechanic: Area Control, Dice Rolling

Off World Colonies
asteroid mining in the off world colonies with eventual replicant conflagrations.
2 players, 30 minutes

players are competing mining companies exploiting resources in the off world colonies. game will include asteroid orbit navigation, control over limited resources and i think an innovative game board idea.

during the game a (AI driven) replicant group begins to wreak havok in the system and players must cope with attacks on their mining fleets
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
manyslayer wrote:
kurthl33t wrote:
1. A separate thread will be created at the beginning of the contest. All submissions will be made on that thread, and must include:

Should we put an entry to show our WIP into the submission thread (and edit as details become available such as play time, pics, etc.) or just put it here until it is "submission worthy"?

Either is fine. If your game is not actually "submission worthy" when you post it to the submission thread, then you can just modify the post as you go along. Or you can just post here until the game is completed to your satisfaction.

Quote:
(And apologies to Mark Cookman, but I don't foresee zombies in my entry for this one - but there are leprechauns)

Leprechauns are cool, too! Although if you could find a classic sci fi movie that has zombies, you could still do a zombie game....

[edit]Alternatively, you could come up with your own theme and just use two of the mechanics listed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fee
United States
Corning
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, this is the idea growing in my brain:

Theme: Leprechauns at war (rainbows involved)
Mechanics: Dice Rolling, Area Control, Campaign/Battle Card Driven (maybe)

Not sure on a name yet. Basically, a war game between different clans of Leprechauns fighting over the right to brew the green beer for the next St. Patrick's Day. As well as standard units, units can carry a pot of gold that allows a rainbow to be formed between the clan's home and the pot of gold that leprechauns can travel across for rapid deployment.

Of course, this is my insane time at work (start of the school year) so I hope I'll have sufficient time to work on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
snookums wrote:
kurthl33t wrote:
Mechanics:
--Paper and Pencil
--Deck/Pool Building
--Dice Rolling

Thanks very much
Sharon

Strictly speaking, no, none of these mechanics have accepted definitions here on the Geek. So if you have a mechanic in mind that could fit into one of these categories, you're probably okay.

But if you check out the "Adv. Search" button at the top of the page, next to the normal "Search" option, you can do a bit of sleuthing to see what has already been done. Select the mechanics you want to explore, select "Print and Play," and look at the rules for the games that come up. They should give you an idea of what has been done before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fee
United States
Corning
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
manyslayer wrote:

Leprechauns are cool, too! Although if you could find a classic sci fi movie that has zombies, you could still do a zombie game....

Maybe if I somehow manage to get one done in the time allotted...

or Zombies in Oz.... (Eating Brains Over the Rainbow?zombie )

Edit: found image too cool not to post for this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
manyslayer wrote:

Of course, this is my insane time at work (start of the school year) so I hope I'll have sufficient time to work on this.

I know what you mean. I started classes last Tuesday and I'm starting a new job next week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fee
United States
Corning
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
manyslayer wrote:

I know what you mean. I started classes last Tuesday and I'm starting a new job next week.

Have fun .

I just have to get student data and program updates ready for the school districts my organization supports. At least I don't deal with the kids directly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.