Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Spencer
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I was able to play my first round of WoTR tonight, and I thought I'd do my best to put up a little report about what I can remember. Both players were first-timers, so I'm sure we made a few mistakes around here somewhere. At any rate, let's dive in. I played FP during this one.

Things started out pretty small. My friend didn't allocate any hunt dice the first round, and the fellowship coasted an easy 3 on its way. I was also able to play an event card to add the elven rope tile to the pool. I figured it wasn't too early to start investing in the future, and Gandalf let me replenish my card. The shadow player started to consolidate forces, and used his muster to make sure Isengard was ready for war.

Not surprisingly, he didn't allow another turn to go by without allocating hunt dice (usually 2). He brought Saruman into play pretty quickly, and begin mustering troops in a dangerous way. The fellowship moved fairly steadily, and without much damage. By the time I declared in Lorien, I only had one corruption (though I had been revealed before). I knew at this point that I needed to get Gandalf the White and Aragorn out ASAP for the extra dice. I separated Gandalf and Merry from the party and set them down to Helm's Deep (which was by now besieged with all the host of Orthanc) with a special card. I was hoping they would help the elite troops I had hold out a little longer. Unfortunately, they did not. Helm's deep fell quickly and I lost two companions. Of course, that was part of the plan and I had a readily available Will of the West die to reincarnate Gandalf in Lorien.

The SP had a ton of troops hanging out in Helm's Deep and I knew it was long gone. Unfortunately, he kept rolling Eyes and the hunt box was way too full to allow the fellowship to go far.I had Dead Men of Dunharrow, and so I thought it was worthwhile to split Strider from the fellowship and send him to Minas Tirith (and eventually Dol Amroth). He was crowned pretty quickly and I was up to full dice, which felt reassuring.

That's when things started to go south, or north more accurately. The SP brought the Witch King into play in Angmar. On top of that, his army at Dol Guldor began marching and took out Dale and the Woodland Realm. I knew he was looking for Erebor and Rivendell next. I knew he had victory close at hand, and the fellowship was nowhere near close enough to assure me the victory (and I just wasn't rolling enough character dice).

I decided the best I could do was distract him from obvious victory. I emptied Lorien and made for Moria with an army led by Gandalf the White. This was unexpected and I took it easily. The Witch King began to move, but his army was well out of range, and the SP had very few troops anywhere close to Moria. Aragorn began to lead his army out of Dol Amroth, but I knew they'd be too slow to do much of anything. I knew I needed 2 more VP, but I couldn't imagine how I would get it. Then the wheels started to turn.

I noticed I'd been holding on to the Eomer card. I burned it to recruit a leader and an elite on the Ford of Isen. Not surprisingly, the SP brought his army out of Helm's Deep to meet it. I played a combat card that let me immediately retreat my army, and they headed for to the Gap of Rohan. By now my plan was out, and the SP knew he was done. He'd emptied Orthanc entirely to drive me out of Rohan. My single leader and elite marched into Orthanc on my last action die and won me a military victory.

It was a surprisingly tense game for both of us. I think that leaving Orthanc unguarded was a rookie mistake, and I think we both probably made several. I know for me it was tough to decide what to do with the companions. I think I also should have played the fellowship more aggressively. I definitely underestimated how hard it would be to get the other nations to war as well. By the end, it was only Rohan at war (though Gondor was close). It absolutely made us both want to immediately roll another game. Unfortunately neither of us had the time today, but hopefully we will again soon.

I don't think we made too many big mistakes, but do let me know if you notice any. I'm sure my recollection isn't precise, so I bet there's some timing things I messed up on in there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume that the Elves were also at war if you took Moria with them?

Great report, welcome to a great game. Sounds like your first game was exciting, they invariably are!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great to hear you got to play this great game!

One observation though:

Hurricanespence wrote:
I noticed I'd been holding on to the Eomer card. I burned it to recruit a leader and an elite on the Ford of Isen.

The Eomer card can only be played in a free region containing a Free Peoples Settlement. The Fords of Isen is a Fortification not a Settlement so you could not have placed Eomer and the Rohan unit there.

There are plenty of these little thing to learn as you play more games so don't feel let down for misplaying this (even if it gave you the win).

Have a look at my page: www.warofthering.eu for great resources for this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Spencer
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Veldrin wrote:
Great to hear you got to play this great game!

One observation though:

Hurricanespence wrote:
I noticed I'd been holding on to the Eomer card. I burned it to recruit a leader and an elite on the Ford of Isen.

The Eomer card can only be played in a free region containing a Free Peoples Settlement. The Fords of Isen is a Fortification not a Settlement so you could not have placed Eomer and the Rohan unit there.

There are plenty of these little thing to learn as you play more games so don't feel let down for misplaying this (even if it gave you the win).

Have a look at my page: www.warofthering.eu for great resources for this game.

Whoops! blush There's the big mistake of the game. I knew I'd made at least one. My opponent made a couple, including mustering in the wrong locations, but this was a pretty big one. I feel sure my other army would never have made it to Orthanc without Eomer. Though I suppose I could have brought them into play in Westemnet and achieved the same thing, now that I look at it. Now I understand why some people use minis from other games to differentiate towns, cities, and fortifications, it's tough to see. Also, your page was one of the first I went to looking for resources. It is a really great spot for WoTR info, so thanks.

(And yes, the Elves were at war before the Moria march. I had forgotten to mention it, but I did burn some muster dice on making sure they went to war. So I'm glad I remembered that one at least).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And, yes, leaving Orthanc empty is a rookie mistake particularly with Gandalf in/near Lorien and Fangorn. The non-expansion Ents will easily kill Saruman that way and one less dice for the SP makes a HUGE difference. A garrison of 3 or 4 Isengard orcs is pretty standard.

Good session report, btw!

Edit: added props

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls