Subject: Game stores in Houston, TX? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Anderson
United States
Cordova
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Does anyone know of the best game store in Houston, TX?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Deckard
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nan's Games and Comics has a very eclectic selection, including wargames, boardgames, role-playing games, and family games.

Nan's Games & Comics Too
(713) 520-8700
2011 Southwest Fwy
Houston, TX 77098

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! I left Houston almost thirty years ago. But I still have fond memories of the great conventions sponsored by Nan's (Nancon). Good to know they're still in business after all this time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Derscheid
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott,

I notice you put Tennessee in your profile. Are you visting Houston for a couple of days, a week, or moving in? What games do you play already?

(When you're looking at a games page, at the bottom, you can add a rating, show what you own, and put in comments, then click Submit. This helps everyone figure out what to recommmend.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Prohl
United States
The Woodlands
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Disclaimer: last time I was in Nan's was about 1.5 years ago.

The only unfortunate thing about going into Nan's is dealing with the employees, who tend to be on the dark side of surly, not to mention unkempt. It's unfortunate, too, because it's convenient to Rice, and I would like to support a local game store. Alas, more dollars will go to gamesurplus.com instead of Nan's.

RCP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Reilly
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert, you are not the only one to have had this sort of experience with the employees at Nan's. Some friends of mine went there a few months back and, while they were impressed with the store's selection, they found the employees very unfriendly and unhelpful, and so decided to leave without buying anything. I myself have been there a number of times, and always found the employees a bit sullen; they give the impression of being suspicious of everyone. Maybe they have to deal with a lot of shop-lifters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Digiovanni
United States
Unspecified
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have to second (or third) this opinion of Nan's. They have the best selection of anyone in town (by far), but their employees are just so unfriendly. It makes you feel like you are interrupting whatever it is they were doing by just BEING in the store, nevermind asking them for help.

And the last poster nailed the impression of their seeming to be suspicious of everyone. I couldn't put my finger on it, but that description kinda sums it up.

What it probably is, is that people come in, and feel so unwelcome that they just look around for a bit, then just leave, without getting anything or talking to anyone.

Hopefully someone in management from Nan's will read some of these complaints and realize that they have a problem and that it is likely costing them a lot of potential business. I know that from the other game and comics stores that I go to that the employees there are helpful, friendly, and excited about their products and go out of their way to talk to you and recommend stuff to you based on what your interests are. I've discovered many new games and comics just this way.

Get a clue, Nan's. I'd love to do more business with you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Holmes
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Eee-va?
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know, but my experience is MUCH different. Especially lately, the staff at Nan's has been VERY friendly.

I think they are used to getting people (regulars) that come in and don't want to be helped. They just want to come in and browse. If you strike up a conversation, or ask a question, they tend to be really friendly. I have seen them carry on nice conversations with VERY annoying people.

Right now the staff there is super helpful, and the store has never looked neater. You should check it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Klestadt
United States
Bellaire
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess folks have had different experiences. I've been a happy customer of Nan's for about 16 years now, and I've always found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. There's been plenty of times I just browsed for hours and didn't buy anything (but wished I could have) and other times I spent $50, $100, or more, depending on the budget. I've almost always been happy with stuff I've bought there, and my only regrets are the things I didn't buy and now wish I had because the games are/were long out of print and hard to find, even on ebay. In short, I love browsing and shopping at Nan's and plan to do so again shortly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls