United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently acquired a copy of die Macher, and love everything about it, except for the fact that it only comes with 2 dice, which can slow down certain phases of this already, long game. Plus, I'm a big nerd who likes to have enough dice to share with everyone.

In die Macher, it's not unrealistic to roll up to 6 of these special dice in one action, while other players also need to roll 1-3 dice of their own in a phase that can (and should) be resolved simultaneously.

As such, I'm on the lookout for other games that have dice with the same value distribution as the dice in die Macher... I may have some already in my collection and don't realize it, or might be able to snag one of these other games cheaper than another copy of die Macher.

The d6 used in die Macher have the following distribution of values:
0 - 1 - 1 - 2 - 2 - 3

If you know of any other games that use this type of custom d6, please post it here, along with how many of those special d6 it comes with... Thanks so much for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aren't the talisman expansion dice like that? that probably doesn't help any though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sunken City

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
Why don't you just buy another 4 copies of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Little
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
Why don't you just buy another 4 copies of the game?

That is indeed a tempting option, but I think it has been officially vetoed by the wife before it ever really hit the floor for discussion. I tried convincing her that we could rent out the spare bedroom to earn a little more money for German games, but she was less than thrilled with the idea...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Little
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
Infernarl wrote:
aren't the talisman expansion dice like that? that probably doesn't help any though...

Doh -- very close! Just cracked open my Dungeons of Doom expansion and saw the dice are 1-1-2-2-3-4 ... The 3 and 4 are on opposite sides of the die, like the 3 and 0 on the die Macher die, so we could just play stating the 4 = 0 when rolled for die Macher, but I'm a sticker for perfection (when it comes to games, anway), so I'd rather not mark them up or make sloppy rules like that.

Close call, though -- thanks for posting that. I thought I found one there for a sec!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Bonnermann
Germany
Dortmund
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Finale from the Kosmos 2-player line comes with two of those dice. Don't know how difficult it is to find it in the US, on German eBay they usually sell for 2-3 €.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Frederick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Plus dice are really easy to make, and good-looking ones to boot. Stickers on blank dice look pretty good, and there are lots of games that come with blank dice (where they have you apply the stickers), or you can just buy blank dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Little
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
mfrederick wrote:
...and there are lots of games that come with blank dice (where they have you apply the stickers), or you can just buy blank dice.

I've been considering that. I've got *a lot* of blank d6s that I use when I develop boargame prototypes, usually by applying stickers to the sides. While that works and looks decent for prototypes, my Anal Retentive/Obsessive Compulsive Gamer Gene kicked in and I almost felt guilty considering such a thing for die Macher.

That said, though, that may end up being the best long-term solution if there aren't any easily accessible games with dice featuring the same 0-1-1-2-2-3 distribution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Vriese
United States
Newberg
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or you make sixty cardboard chits, 10 each with the numbers zero and three, 20 each with the numbers one and two. Then dump them all in a opaque cup and have a big 'grab-fest'.

Doei!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why don't you just use the very easily obtained d6 and cut the rolls in half (rounding down). 1/2 = 0.5 = 0; 2/2 = 1 = 1; 3/2 = 1.5 = 1; 4/2 = 2 = 2; 5/2 = 2.5 = 2; 6/2 = 3 = 3. There you go, all the results you wanted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred D.
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmb
ynnen wrote:
I've got *a lot* of blank d6s that I use when I develop boargame prototypes, usually by applying stickers to the sides. While that works and looks decent for prototypes, my Anal Retentive/Obsessive Compulsive Gamer Gene kicked in and I almost felt guilty considering such a thing for die Macher.

If those are made of wood or any other deformable material, use a flat screwdriver and a hammer to punch the numbers on the sides. Make sure to fixate the dice first or accidents will happen.

When the sides are done, run some contrasting (maybe dilluted) paint into a punched number and let each side dry. Repeat 6 times.

I have made custom cubes this way a few years back. If you end up making large enough series, the fabrication of metal 'stamps' would pay off. You can even do that yourself if you have the right tools.

Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Raeside
United States
Bettendorf
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I am not sure about this game because I don't own it. I recently read the description and page one of the rule sheet for Think Twice. This game contains one "multiplier" die that has 0-1-2-3 but I am not sure about the frequency of each number.

http://boardgamegeek.com/game/7433

Can anyone confirm the frequency of the Think Twice die?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amelia Tharme
United Kingdom
Eastbourne
flag msg tools
mbmb
One of the dice with Starship Catan has a 1-2-2-3-3-4 distribution. Could work if you use a -1 die roll modifier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Pushing a lesbian old growth union-approved agenda since '94.
mbmbmbmbmb
Try this -- it's a set of six blank d6 with stickers.... should be plenty.

http://www.advancinghordes.com/product_info.php/cPath/2_77/p...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its just a d6/2 rounded down, do some math

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Cleveland
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
just do regular d6 with rule of take half round down. 1=0 2=1 3=1 4=2 5=2 6=3 problem somewhat solved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Cleveland
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wow the ad in the middle of the chain of posts totally threw me off sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C.
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Grab some standard d6 - white with "indented" black dots. Fill in some of the dots with white correction fluid (It's called Liquid Paper in Australia) until only the required number of dots are showing.

I worked out that if you make the following changes, the pattern of dots remains nicely symmetric:

1 stays as 1
2 stays as 2
3 becomes 1
4 becomes 2
5 becomes 3
6 becomes 0 (BLANK)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred D.
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmb
Kudos to Andrew. This works beautifully here. (and much less work than my sollution)

EDIT:
But I'd have 3 stay as 3 and 5 become 1 .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
The only problem is that the high and low sides won't match. In a die macher die, you get:

0-3
1-2
1-2

while here you'd get

0-1
3-1
2-2

I wouldn't have a problem with that distribution, but ynnen might be anal enough to care.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Little
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
I wouldn't have a problem with that distribution, but ynnen might be anal enough to care.

Ahem, let's make that Anal Retentive, just to be on the safe side.

And yes, I am that crazy. I'm the guy who color coordinates all the dice for games like Minion Hunter, so everyone gets dice of their player color. Or has 10 sets of 10 different colors of d10s for Twilight Imperium so you can roll all your attacks at once (Red = Fighters, Orange = Destroyers, Yellow = Cruisers, etc).

While I could cobble together a makeshift set of dice from my die blanks or the zillion-odd plain white d6s I have from the zillion-odd crappy games I've cycled through my collection, I'm AR/OC enough to want actual dice with these distributions.

If I were a coin collector, sure, I could scratch out the "7" on a 1975 quarter and replace it with a finely etched "0" to make it a 1905 quarter to round out my collection, but it's just not the same... The same reason I don't like using proxy cards in M:TG (Oh, see this Plains card I scribbled on? This is actually a Black Lotus... really).

I'm CrAzY like that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred D.
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmb
hibikir wrote:
The only problem is that the high and low sides won't match. In a die macher die, you get:

0-3
1-2
1-2

ninja

Ok like this then...
0-3 as 4-3
1-2 as 5-2
1-2 as 1-6

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Pushing a lesbian old growth union-approved agenda since '94.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, I found some perfect dice for this: Warhammer 40K 2nd edition rapid fire dice. They're labelled 1-1-2-2-3-*, the last symbol being an abstract lightning bolt (indicating a jammed gun in 40K). They're out of print now, but any 40K player who has upgraded to the new edition should have two such dice they aren't using.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.