Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darran Jones
United Kingdom
Bournemouth
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We've regularly started playing games as a family, but my youngest daughter can't always join in with us. Can you recommend any cool board games that are fun to play with a family of four?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bekking
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
My six year old daughter likes to play:

Ticket to Ride
North Pole
The Magic Labyrinth
Pastiche
Archaeology: The Card Game
Biblios
Ribbit

We play 2 player and 3 player, when her 14 year old sister joins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Magic Labyrinth
Water Lily
Abandon Ship
Two by Two
My First Carcassonne
Villa Paletti
Duck, Duck, Bruce
Zombie Dice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
With some help they could play Incan Gold (mine were 8 and 7 when they first played and loved it)

and also Pyramid (German Version is called Fluch der Mumie)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dither Dither
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience with my young son:
(1) Sorry! is surprisingly good for an old game.
(2) My First Carcassonne is a kids game that still enjoyable for adults (and a nice link to the original game)
(3) Rat-a-Tat Cat nice straight forward card game with memory and maths
(4) PitchCar fun dexterity game
(5) Jungle Speed which is like snap extreme (ensure all finger nails are cut)
(6) Labyrinth is very enjoyable
(7) Farkle simple dice push your luck game
(8) Halli Galli as any game involving hitting a bell is a winner
(9) Loopin' Louie is simply brilliant fun and for me is as an essential part of any board game collection

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sleeping Queens is a must to look at for any younger kids (boy or girl).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Howell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We'll second a bunch of the games in these lists.
We'd also highly recommend you try out cooperative games that everyone can enjoy together.

One of the best for a family of 4 with young kids is Forbidden Island!

Our then 7 yr old did a video review of it as well that you can check out either here on BGG:
http://boardgamegeek.com/video/872/forbidden-island/family-v...

Or on our website: http://www.theBoardGameFamily.com where we have a lot of suggestions of great games for families with young kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Wiberg
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have an 8 and a 6 year old. While the 8 year old LOVES to play board games, the 6 year old is curious at best and sometimes loses interest in the middle of games. I've been most successful with short or co-op games.

Forbidden Island works well because everyone is on the same team - and even if the little ones loses interest and decides to chase the cat instead of playing, you can decide as a group what the move should be.

Saboteur is a pretty quick game too - at least the rounds are quick. The concept of the game is pretty easy to understand too, so that makes it one I'm willing to attempt with the 6 year old.

Also, Bandits is a pretty fun card game that is easy enough for kids around 6. They need to be able to count - that's about it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Incan Gold. Its a great game for adults and kids to play together. It plays fast and can handle up to 8 players. Our kids played this at 4. One of the things that makes this great is that oddball strategies by a young player will not result in a king maker situation. The Diamant version has better components and is really great for kids. Also, the game can have a player drop out without really messing up the game for the other players.

There are also lots of kids games which are OK for adults. Some of our favorites were Rat a Tat Cat and Viva Topo!.

Also, we just added Zooloretto to our rotation and our 7 year old has no problem with it. This is a great game for younger players. 6 may be pushing it a bit, though, depending on the child. It is great in my opinion because although it is simple it still feels like an adult game, not a kids game. The animal theme is great for kids and something they can get exited about. Lastly, it is an easy game to handicap, which I sometimes do with the kids. You can give younger players extra money at the start if you want to help them out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Levy
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of the ones above are great choices ... I'd like to add two possibilities:
Castle Panic - this is a great family co-op game

And
Poo: The Card Game - we played this is a group with kids near that age to 40yo's and everyone had fun with it. It's a bit of a take that game, but the first person out gets to come back, so it's also a bit forgiving. Plus, the monkeys are funny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
15 Keys
United States
Living in the Delco
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a father of (two!) 6 year olds, I think about this all the time. I find that age-appropriateness is important here for three reasons:

1) Inappropriate content. Killing, death, sex, and anything like that isn't for kids this young. This isn't an issue for lots of games out there, but I put this here because this is what most people think of when they think of 'age appropriateness'.

2) Ability to understand rules and effectively use them. While kids may be advanced or possibly can understand more than you realize, being able to effectively carry out long-term strategies, balance multiple things in their head, or to be actually effective in negotiations is much more difficult for children of any age.

3) Ability to 'really get' the game and enjoy it on a level that isn't just about throwing cards or rolling dice. For a non-game example, when I was a little kid I tried to read Lord of the Rings, and while I was old enough to understand the book and the words, I really wasn't mature enough appreciate it.

I find #3 to be the most difficult one to assess, but you can sort of get a feel for it. I know someone who has his 6-year old play Munchkin with him, and while the kids understands the rules (they are pretty straightforward), there is no way they actually appreciate it, especially since every card is pretty much a riff off of Fantasy Tropes.

SO....with that in mind, here is what I play with my 6 year olds:

-Carcassone, though we omit the farmers (I'll invoke reason #2 above, except that is a common house rule even for adults). I find this one to be exceptionally great for kids because they have to think and have multiple strategies, but they are all things they can grasp.

-Ticket to Ride, though I omit the negative points for tickets at the end (though they know that rule and would probably be ok playing it fully).

-Playing Cards. This sound obvious, but things like Gin or Crazy 8s (etc.) teach them lots of similar strategies as board games, are easy to play and learn, and only require a pack of cards. Plus, card games are awesome.

I am looking into getting Zooloretto some time as well as the European Ticket to Ride (teaching more geography!)

But just keep those three things above in mind when picking out a game for your kids, but always make sure all of you are having fun playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
How did this list get so far without:Hey, That's My Fish!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Larsen
United States
Santa Clara
Utah
flag msg tools
I had such great plans for this OverText, but then I forgot what they were...
badge
This is a fearsome fisherman viking.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to have to agree with everyone who mentioned Forbidden Island, Incan Gold, and Carcassonne (without farmers).

My almost 4-year-old loves to play Incan Gold with us. She usually plays very conservatively - leaving after the first room or two - but she ends up in second place a fair amount of the time. My almost 6-year-old has actually won the game a few times in some 4-8 player games.

The 4 year old loves to play Carcassonne with no meeples, just as a puzzle. My 6 year old did the puzzle variant a couple times, but then spent a week begging me to teach her the "grown up rules", so we played a few games using the full rules minus the farmers. She hasn't won yet, but she loves being able to play an adult game.

That said, my 6 year old's current favorite game is Forbidden Island. She finds it very exciting; she starts to get all tense and squealing as things get more frantic towards the end of the game. She has played half a dozen times so far, and she only needs a little coaching now. Fortunately it's a cooperative game so the coaching isn't to anyone else's detriment. I (and my daughter) highly recommend it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ordinary Evidence
Canada
Nanaimo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/40692/small-world with my 6 year old son. He loves the game, and he is starting to master the different strategies the different combos require.

It is also a good game for his cognitive development: spatial awareness, counting by 1s, 3s, 5,s and 10s, and reading/comprehension skills.

Fun and educational!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Hoy
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poo: The Card Game isn't an awful game for children (they love the theme) but I found it to require a bit too much reading for the 7 year old I was playing with. More importantly, I found the game lost its novelty amongst the adults after 3-4 plays which meant that while the children loved it, it became a chore to play with them.

Bridge Troll: A nice quick, fast, and fun game in which each person takes the role of a troll who can either eat or ransom people as they attempt to cross their bridge. Quite a bit of fun both with young children and adults.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb
My 6 year old daughter's current favourites are:

Dominion
She saw us playing it and wanted to join in, and has coped with it surprisingly well.

Pick Picknic
She'll stop anything she's doing to come and join in this game, which can't be said of many games, as generally it's my younger son that I play with while she watches/does other things. A real hit!

Fan Tan
She wanted a game that could be played with a regular deck of cards - this is it!

UNO
Classic family favourite and works brilliantly with any number and all ages.

Monopoly Junior
We started on My First Monopoly, then moved on to Monopoly Junior. It's got the building aspect of Monopoly without the trading, and is great for kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Mountain
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
From my experience Chess and Quoridor are two abstracts that kids around 6 years of age can learn and enjoy.

These are also great for adults to play together after the kids have gone to bed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Boyko
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Viva Topo!, my 6 year old daughter likes it and my 3 year old son almost gets it.

I have also played Ingenious with her, as well as Blokus Trigon and Go with a really small board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Maloney
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look into the catalog of Gamewright Games, who not only produce games that can be played by 6-year-olds, but many of these games can be enjoyed by adults, operating at a different level.
Dweebies comes to mind immediately. The 6-year-old will get a kick out of the Dweebie characters on the cards and learn from the experience of trying to match characters at the end of created lines of cards. Adults will examine ways to use memory and calculations to determine optimum placement decisions.
Ka-Ching! is another one. Here you've got something of a basic math problem, easy enough for kids to figure out. When adults play, higher level calculations come into play.
Then, too, all 6-year-olds are not created equal. Delving into generally more complex games is possible with some, not so possible with others. Consider your own 6-year-old when making decisions about game play, certainly not box age recommendations. In many cases, companies put older limits on the box, because testing with younger ones is trickier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ronald fraigun
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
in addition to whats listed here, I would add
Chicken Cha Cha Cha
into the mix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Ball
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Waiting for the "game bubble."
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are just a few of the games my daughter loved when she was six (and still does):

Africa
Talisman (Revised 4th Edition) (remove the Hag card)
Dawn Under
Zooloretto
Hey, That's My Fish!

A few other of her favorites (& good for a six-year old):

Forbidden Island
A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game (co-operative mode)
Castle Panic
Ticket to Ride

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ordinary Evidence
Canada
Nanaimo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just picked up Fortune & Glory: The Cliffhanger Game yesterday (yay!) and I am playing with my 14, 10 and 6 year old in cooperative mode.

It works really well, because we can all help each other and it fits in with the theme.

And it is tons of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Apparently you guys all have genius children or my child is a dumbass.

My daughter is 5.5, and she likes Sleeping Queens, Hisss, Kids of Carcassonne, Checkers, Uno, and several dexterity games. We've tried Hey, That's My Fish!, but she didn't like it when her penguins fell in.

She also likes a lot of the normal childhood games we all grew up with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sant
United States
Easton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, penguins shouldn't be falling in during HTMF! Unless you mean at the end of the game when the score is tallied? During the game they can be isolated, but are always on a single ice block.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know. We usually just take them off for the sake of cleaning up the board. I didn't realize it was going to be traumatic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.