BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Gaming with Kids

Subject: What games for a 6-year old? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Zakszewski
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
If giant monsters have appeal, add King of Tokyo. A bit of reading for the cards, but we find that a good chance to practice. Great theme and art, interesting choices and loads of fun for grown ups too. My 6 year old son Loves it. Others mentioned Castle Panic and Carcassone, which we also like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try these:
Sleeping Queens
Rat-a-Tat Cat
Hey, That's My Fish!
Break the Safe
RattleSnake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can vouch for Sleeping Queens and RattleSnake. My five-year-old loves them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cole
msg tools
I have two kids one is 5 the other is 7 and they like putting jigsaw puzzles together. i bought a few from http://www.alljigsawpuzzles.co.uk/ maybe your 6 year old would enjoy doing a puzzle with you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lo Ma
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My 5 year old currently loves the following games:

Château Roquefort - a set collection game in which your mice/rats are trying to be the first to collect 7 different kinds of cheese amongst the roof rafters of a chateau/castle. It also invloves a clever moving labyrinth mechanism with which you can hopefully get another kind of cheese under your rat's feet or even better, to drop an opponent's rat into the dungeon! Beautifully done components.

King of Tokyo - my boy loves this game of monsters and mayhem, and so does the 6 year old girl from across the street. It's a dicefest that involves getting energy, buying cards with special powers, attacking other monsters, and healing yourself after an attack. The last monster alive or the first one to get 20 victory points is the winner. The bits are very cute - not scary - and the kids adore them. Note that we play without the Tokyo board - it makes the game much simpler for the youngsters. However, if you have issues with kids doing fake silly battle, avoid this one.

Castle Panic is also very popular at the moment. It is a co-op game in which all the players work together to fight off the monsters that are trying to destroy your castle. Very fun, very cute - not scary - and causes lots of laughter. My 5 year old neeeds a bit of coaching in his decisions, but the 6 year old neightbor girl gets it perfectly and makes excellent decisions. We aloso allow 2 trades per turn for 2 or 3 players - it makes it easier and more fun for the kids. We also remove 6 monsters from the game to make it a bit shorter for my 5 year old boy (who has a shorter attention span than the 6 year old girl he plays with).

Abandon Ship is another rat game with very clever bits. It's about getting your rats off the ship before it sinks, accumulating points along the way. In the regualr rules, which color rats you're rooting for is kept secret - but with the kids, we keep this info open to all. It seems to add to the fun as kids get their rats off, and connive to sabotage other players rats. Plus the actual sinking ship in this game is ultra cool.

Marrakesh is similar to the above game but with a different theme. Here's you're trying to get your camels to the market first while avoding the shifting sands of the sandstorms. You can also sometimes send your opponents' camels into the maelstrom!

Other good possibilities are - my son has actually just now outgrown these after playing them for a long while, but they'd be fine for a 6 year that's new to them:

Max is an awesome cooperative game in which all the players are trying to get little animals, like a squirrel, bird, mouse, etc., safely away from the hungry cat Max. You roll and move a creature, take shortcuts, and bribe Max with kitty treats to get the animals to safety. This seemingly mild-mannered game is exceedingly tense for a 4 to 6 year old.

Monza is perfect for kids who dig cars and drag racing. A well-produced HABA game with great bits and one of the best racing games fro young youngsters, and is far more complex than a simple roll and move game. It requires color and pattern recognition to figure out the best route to take to win the race given your dice rolls.

Dinosaurs Extinct? is a great roll and move game with an awesome theme if your kid is into dinos. You're all trying to get your dinos to the 21st century rather than go extinct! Includes dino minis to give additional atmosphere. Simple game that's great for the 4 to 6 year old set and includes such things as earth events, hit points and healing, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juanjo
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading this topic makes me discover a big list of games I must try with my children!

I'm not able to make the older (5 years old) play almost any game because she wants to break the rules everytime. And gets bored too fast.

The little one (2'5 years old) is focussing his efforts in find and "destroy" my warhammer plastic miniatures... I hope I'd be able to focus that energy (in the future) to better purpouses.:D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J G
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter turned 5 a few days ago and sleeping Queens is her favorite. Dozens of plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One that hasn't been mentioned yet that kids tend to love is: Enchanted Forest

If she likes mechanical stuff, then go to goodwill and pick up a copy of: Dragon Strike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Hauser
United States
Marine on St. Croix
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great suggestions here. My son is 6 and we play loads of games with him. Super-Vampire is a huge hit in our house.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deev
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played these with a 6-year-old:

6 Very popular:

Sushi Go!
I also play this with adults. It's great!

Catan: Junior

5 Pretty popular:

Ticket to Ride: First Journey

4 We've played this a bunch:

Blokus Trigon

3 She's chosen this one a couple times but it doesn't usually go awesomely:

Castle Panic

2 IMHO, actually too old now for ...

Froggy Boogie
Robot Turtles

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Cardboard Dad
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first 35 or so videos on The Cardboard Kid’s GeekList are all games we played when she was five and six.

There are many excellent suggestions here in this thread. Good luck, and we hope you find the perfect choices for your family!

edit: even though she's nine now, there are some games she's recently reviewed that could be a very good fit for a six-year-old gamer.

Isle of Monsters
Haunt the House
Fairy Tile
Bugs on Rugs
Dinos Not Assembled
Tiny Towns
Cabo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Omi Shetty
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
new user
My daughter like Puzzles while she was 6 years old: http://www-en.toupty.com/online-sliding-puzzle.php?name=puzz...

Play is how children learn about themselves and their world. It is how they develop and practice the physical, thinking and social skills needed in
life. These tips will help you choose toys and play activities for your child based on their age or stage of development.
https://docsbay.net/toys-and-play-6-to-8-year-olds

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Walker
United Kingdom
HANTS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Catan
Catan: Junior
Munchkin
Tsuro

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paula T
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Lots of good games already but there's not that's not been mentioned, it might actually have been my daughter's favourite aged 5-6, certainly the most played game we have and that is
Leo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.