Popular Tags: [View All]
Hank Panethiere
United States
Kirkwood
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coerceo is an abstract strategy game consisting of hexagonal tiles and tetrahedral pieces (shaped like pyramids). The object is to capture all of your opponents pieces on an ever shrinking playing field.

Coerceo is a strictly two player game where players alternate moves. The objective of the game is to remove (capture) all of your opponent’s playing pieces from the board. You capture the opponent’s pieces by enclosing them on two (on the edge of the board) or three (in the middle of the board) sides with your own pieces.

The pieces start in groups of six in three positions on the board . Black pieces start on the black spaces while the white pieces start on the white spaces.. On a players turn they can move one of their pieces to an adjacent space of their color, since spaces are triangular moves are diagonal. Pieces are removed (captured) when a playing piece is surrounded on three sides by the opponents pieces. Another way to capture a piece is to surround it on two sides while the piece is trapped on the edge of a tile.

When the last piece on a tile either is captured or moved off of the tile so that no pieces remain on it, the tile is collected by the person who removed the last piece. The tile can only be removed if it is surrounded on less than four sides by other tiles....in other words is connected to other tiles on three or less sides. Two collected tiles can be exchanged for an opponents piece, thus removing it from the board (this counts as a full turn). Timing is everything when using this mechanic. Another rule that makes for some good strategy is one where you can move into a captured position safely, you can only be captured by the opponent...so you can move to a position where you are completely surrounded but are safe.

The rules may sound a bit confusing but the rule book is great and has many examples of the various moves and mechanics. It really is a super simple game to learn. If you need to look up a rule you can easily find it in the well laid out rulebook.

The game has much more strategic depth than it at first seems...after a dozen or so plays I can see that this game is going to be a keeper.

The game components are of special mention. The copy I received is housed in a black wooden case with a gold colored metal clasp and hinges. The Coerceo logo is printed in gold on the box and on the inside of the box top which is covered in a felt like material.

The tiles are thick and should hold up to repeated plays well, they are made up of triangles in a light brown color (for the white pieces) and a dark brown color (for the black pieces) that contrast well with each other. The pyramids are plastic but have a marbled look to them which adds even more to the overall look of the game, they are of good quality but a bit light.

The only change I would like to see, and it's a small one that doesn't affect play, would be to have the backs of the tiles changed from just a blank white face to a dark brown or black with the Coerceo logo printed on them....it would really complete the great look of an already great looking game.

Overall I highly recommend Coerceo for many reasons. It's very well made, simple to learn, has enough strategy and interesting mechanics to keep replayability high, plays in a reasonable amount of time (about 30 minutes) but most of all it's fun.

I'm not a huge fan of abstracts as I mentioned in the subject line, but this is one I will gladly bring out often and play whenever asked.

I don't know if it will become samey after many plays but for now it doesn't feel like it will.

I rate this game a 9 on a 10 scale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: I love this game...and I'm not a fan of abstracts.
Er, don't you mean hexagonal tiles? (and tetrahedral pieces, for that matter).

Thanks for the review of this gorgeous game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank Panethiere
United States
Kirkwood
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zefquaavius wrote:
Er, don't you mean hexagonal tiles? (and tetrahedral pieces, for that matter).

Thanks for the review of this gorgeous game!

Duly noted and corrected. Tried to keep it simple as far as the pyramids go, just goofed on the hexagonal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What distinguishes Coerceo from other abstracts (that you don't particularly feel for)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
s m t
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
“If I were to remain silent, I’d be guilty of complicity.” — Albert Einstein
mbmbmbmbmb
It brings me joy when I learn that another soul is rejoicing in the land of abstracts.

Game looks fun.

Thanks for the review!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank Panethiere
United States
Kirkwood
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fateswanderer wrote:
What distinguishes Coerceo from other abstracts (that you don't particularly feel for)?

That subject line may have been too restrictive...I do like some abstracts and am actually a fan of a few.

I just like the "feeling" I get when I play Coerceo, and I don't feel like my brain is melting, just set on a nice simmer. It has no theme but it feels like it does...I can't really explain it. Other abstracts I do like have the same quality (Aapep, Ubongo, Ingenious, Warp 6, Knockabout)

The production quality is a big factor as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank Panethiere
United States
Kirkwood
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
I've been seeing photos of this game pop up in the new images, and just the look of the thing made me want to get it. It also sounds like it plays really well.

I never thought I was a fan of abstracts either until I started playing the Gipf series. Now I have a ton of them, and the more beautiful to look at, the better.

This is definitely one I want to try. Thanks for the review!

I'm with you regarding the aesthetic part of abstracts. I'm drawn to good looking abstract games.

I really need to check out the Gipf series. Where should I start in your opinion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really nice looking game-thanks for the review
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
metalchorus wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
I've been seeing photos of this game pop up in the new images, and just the look of the thing made me want to get it. It also sounds like it plays really well.

I never thought I was a fan of abstracts either until I started playing the Gipf series. Now I have a ton of them, and the more beautiful to look at, the better.

This is definitely one I want to try. Thanks for the review!

I'm with you regarding the aesthetic part of abstracts. I'm drawn to good looking abstract games.

I really need to check out the Gipf series. Where should I start in your opinion?

If you just want to get a feel of the gipf games, several are playable for free on Boardspace.net.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
metalchorus wrote:
Duly noted and corrected. Tried to keep it simple as far as the pyramids go, just goofed on the hexagonal.
Heh heh, no problem.

I forgot to ask the most important question: Where did you get this game (sound like a gift or a review copy)? I've had lust since the first photos appeared on BGG....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Heretics
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Hank, how'd you score a copy of this game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
metalchorus wrote:
The only change I would like to see, and it's a small one that doesn't affect play, would be to have the backs of the tiles changed from just a blank white face to a dark brown or black with the Coerceo logo printed on them....it would really complete the great look of an already great looking game.

I think even better (for every such tile-based game, not just Coerceo) is to have the playing surface printed on both sides of the tiles.

That way if one side of a tile gets stained or damaged, the tile is still usable by simply playing with the other side up.

Plus there's no wasted time inconveniently having to turn tiles over "right side up" to set the game up.

Leaving one side blank is penny wise, pound foolish. Printing a logo on one side is less useful than printing a usable playing surface.

---

That said, the game looks very interesting and attractive!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leach
United Kingdom
Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
Looks beautiful but I can't envision what it is that makes the gameplay particularly interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.