Popular Tags: [View All]
David Gardner
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Katana: "I demand you transfer two top cards with a [Tower] from your board to my score pile. If you do, draw a card of equal value to the total number of [Towers] on those cards, and transfer it to my forecast."

I know that you are directed by the rules fully to carry out as many dogma dictates as you can.

I play the Katana on my opponent. She has only one top card with a [Tower], which she dutifully transfers to my score pile.

Our question: Does the second sentence trigger, or not?

Reason for yes: We carried out as much of the Katana as we could and she did make a transfer and so we do the forecast draw because something happened and to the best of its ability.

Reason for no: Though there was a transfer, it was not TWO TOP CARDS, thus the secondary dictate of the dogma action does not officially trigger.

I predict the answer is NO (above), but I don't know for sure and no one has yet posted a rules query about the Katana here on the Geek.

Thanks in advance!

Innovation big-time fan,

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess is no as well, if nothing else because of the wording: "the total number of castles on those cardS."

If it weren't for that, I'd assume yes for the reason you state above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
You played it correctly according to our interpretation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph DiMuro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that you do the forecast draw. My reason is based on the wording of the Explosives dogma in the first printing:

"I demand you transfer your three highest cards from your hand to my hand! If you do, and then have no cards in hand, draw a 7!"

The inventor later clarified that "if you do" includes the case where the opponent has only one or two cards in hand, and transfers them. In fact, in the latest printing, the card now says "if you transferred any" instead of "if you do".

If I'm wrong, and you don't do the forecast draw, that means I have two cards with the same wording, but different interpretations. Not a good thing. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
TrojH wrote:
I would say that you do the forecast draw. My reason is based on the wording of the Explosives dogma in the first printing:

"I demand you transfer your three highest cards from your hand to my hand! If you do, and then have no cards in hand, draw a 7!"

The inventor later clarified that "if you do" includes the case where the opponent has only one or two cards in hand, and transfers them. In fact, in the latest printing, the card now says "if you transferred any" instead of "if you do".

If I'm wrong, and you don't do the forecast draw, that means I have two cards with the same wording, but different interpretations. Not a good thing. soblue

That's a bad on my part -- Katana should say "If you transferred any" to be more clear. But yes, you would get a foreshadowed 1 in this case. Enjoy your future discovery of The Wheel!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gardner
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris, thank you for the clarification.

In the case of our game, my daughter transferred Horseshoes, which had 1 Castle, and there were no more 1's or 2's or 3's...

... do we draw a 4 for the Forecast, OR (my assumption is that this second option is the case), do we not complete this part of the dogma because there are NO "cards of equal value to the number of Castle(s) on the card(s)"?

--David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
You'd still draw up, as with any other action involving the keyword 'draw'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls