Subject: game stores in honolulu rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lukas Wernig
Austria
Villach
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i'm visiting honolulu in february and wanted to ask if there are any good gaming stores on oahu?

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Ramsey
United States
Grove City
OH
flag msg tools
badge
Hush
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite is Armchair Adventurer at 1287 Kalani St Ste 105 Honolulu, HI 96817. He has a LOT of old stuff in the back room that I haven't found anywhere else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Batterton
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
SpiderCat. Direct from the 9th plane of Hell. Adoptions are held every 666 days .
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a long time, but Jellys was great. Its off Kam Highway close to Pearl Ridge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E D
United States
wilton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnyMouse wrote:
My favorite is Armchair Adventurer at 1287 Kalani St Ste 105 Honolulu, HI 96817. He has a LOT of old stuff in the back room that I haven't found anywhere else.

This store has a lot of games! Good luck finding what you need, tons of fun to browse tho lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Ramsey
United States
Grove City
OH
flag msg tools
badge
Hush
mbmbmbmbmb
unveilmyeyes wrote:

This store has a lot of games! Good luck finding what you need, tons of fun to browse tho lol

It's definitely a lot easier to find things now than it was a year ago. Since early spring, any time I went in for something I came out with exactly what I was looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Moulton
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AnyMouse wrote:
unveilmyeyes wrote:

It's definitely a lot easier to find things now than it was a year ago. Since early spring, any time I went in for something I came out with exactly what I was looking for.

I went there on a visit a few years ago and had to literally dig my way to the back of the pile of games to find things. They have tons of old wargames and I didn't know the value of most of it. I did find in shrink copies of Liberte and Himalaya for original prices.
Cool place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Van Fujishige
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few game stores, depending on your definition.

The Armchair Adventurer caters to mostly historical wargamers, but he does carry quite a selection of boardgames. I'd say the biggest on the island. The owner, Glen, use to own another store here called Just for Fun, then closed it and worked at the local hobby distribution company until it closed down. As such, he opened his new store with all of his old stock. It's actually gotten better over the last year, since he expanded his space and all the board games are in one room... in the corner. It's been loosely organized by myself and a few other gamers and isn't kept that well. If you feel like doing some treasure hunting, you'd have great luck here. There are also tables in the store, but they're mostly taken over by Flames of War players. A word of warning though; he ups the price of all his games a dollar over MSRP.

Jelly's The Original use to be the premier spot, but has fallen downhill in recent times. They have ample playing space, but absolutely no new stock. The stuff they have on-hand isn't very attractive as it's been thoroughly picked through. They have 2 locations.

Other Realms focuses on miniature wargames, specifically Warhammer and Warhammer 40k. They're located in an open air shopping center and have access to 2 conference rooms that they rent out on Mondays for RPGers and Wargamers alike to play in. Board gamers are also welcome. Selection there is limited to Fantasy Flight stuff, but the selection is sparse.

Toylinx is a relatively new store owned by a local distribution company. They cater to the Yu-Gi-Oh! and C/TCG market while maintaning a single wall section of games that they know very little to nothing about. They're in good with Konami, so they promote the Resident Evil game like it's nobody's business, though they've never heard of Dominion.

Gecko Books is the closest to what you'd call a game store, though their focus is primarily comics. They have a nice modest collection of games, and the owner, Ted, regularly brings in new product (though not always on arrival week). I do demos there on occasion when time and space allow. He's also fairly knowledgable in games, as he frequently asks what's hot and is familiar with the 'geek.

There are others that just do card games, but are a bit limited. Paula's Sports Cards and Da Planet are rife with M:tG players, but have very little else to offer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Wernig
Austria
Villach
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wow, thank you very much for alle the info! I will definitely check them out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Van Fujishige
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to play, there's also a meetup group here...

Oahu Board Gamers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls