Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan
United Kingdom
Worthing
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
Which Arthurian setting do you enjoy gaming the most?
High Medieval King
Welsh King
Historical King
      37 answers
Poll created by danmer

I approved the final proofs of the new all-singing*, all-dancing** Song of Arthur and Merlin yesterday, and am expecting it to be available via the Ganesha wesbite from next week. It's now a standalone book, so you don't need any of the other supplements to play it.

With this in mind, I thought I'd set up a little poll to find out which setting you like the most ... based on this extract from SAM:

"Stories of Arthur have been around for many generations, maybe from as early as the sixth century and definitely from the ninth century, intertwining many different settings and characters. Depending on your take on the legend or history, you may decide to play games set in the classic Arthurian setting of an enchanted medieval world (High Medieval King), or prefer the equally enchanted but slightly grittier setting of earlier Celtic folklore and old school history (Welsh King). Some players wish to re-enact the real life battles in Britain of the fifth and sixth centuries - the historical era in which a real life Arthur might have lived - bereft of magic and monsters, but still full of tactical choices and tough warbands (Historical King). The same miniatures can be used for the Welsh and Historical King games, using models from the many existing Dark Ages ranges; for High Medieval games, look to plunder fantasy ranges and historical models from the medieval period 1100-1500."

* It doesn't really sing, it's only a book.
** It doesn't really dance, it's still only a book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
"I wonder," he said to himself presently, "I wonder if this sort of car *starts* easily?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Your poll doesn't have Monty Python so I can't vote, sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United Kingdom
Worthing
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
High Medieval surely?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
"I wonder," he said to himself presently, "I wonder if this sort of car *starts* easily?"
mbmbmbmbmb
danmer wrote:
High Medieval surely?

By some definitions of "high", certainly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United Kingdom
Worthing
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting results so far ... Wasn't expecting the High Medieval King to be lagging so far behind. Good job the next game I'm working on is historical Arthurian.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Egan-Payne
msg tools
mb
Just cast my vote and managed to even things out a little bit without even trying!

I think we should start a campaign to get the BBC to either rescreen or release on DVD that Arthur series they made when I was a kid. I think it may have been the first mass media depiction of Arthur as an early medieval warlord but I'm happy to be proven wrong on that point
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United Kingdom
Worthing
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It is available on DVD already, the series was called Arthur King of the Britons. The same as one of my books

I did have the DVD but looking for it just now I can't find it... Anyway it's available on Amazon, and is well worth it for Brian Blessed, who plays the important role of Brian Blessed, as always!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barks
Australia
Armidale
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't really decide between Welsh King with the option of veering between fantasy and history, and High mediaeval with shiny armour, grail quests, maidens, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim G
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I like high medieval, but I recently started reading The Winter King and my allegiance has shifted to Historical King
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.