Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Manning
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Madison's newest FLGS opened today and my wife and I decided to check it out. We were delighted. This is definitely a board game store. They have an incredible selection of board games. It is neat and clean with an awesome looking gaming area in the back. RPGs, minis and CCGs are all represented but the emphasis is board games. They have a huge selection of cool family and children's games. We picked up Navegador and the card game Nuts. I really think this will become Madison's ground zero for board gaming. We have a lot of gaming stores in Madison but none that catered to boardgamers until now. If you're in town check them out this weekend during Middleton's good neighbor festival.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Matejka
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome. I plan on stopping by tomorrow. Great to hear!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Schafer
United States
Stoughton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I stopped by and picked up a copy of 7 Wonders.
I think I wandered around for an hour trying to choose. They have so many games there, I was impressed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Where is it/what is it close by? I don't live there but my wife has family there so we visit frequently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Manning
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfugeek wrote:
Where is it/what is it close by? I don't live there but my wife has family there so we visit frequently.

They're on University just a little past Scott's Bakery/Club Tavern and Just before the new Wiley Street Co-op. Maybe 4 miles from the UW campus straight down University Ave going West. Really easy to find. Just go West on University and keep an eye to your left when you hit Middleton.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Halleran
United States
Monona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
6771 University Ave, Middleton, WI

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=6771+university+ave&ll=43.0969...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Hammermueller
United States
Cedar Grove
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll definitely check them out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Me too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Williams
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
www.ormistonwhisky.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been following the build up to the opening on facebook, they have been posting loads of great pictures of the shopfitting.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Im-Board-Games-Family-Fun/1...

Matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Ravenscroft
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Quote:
but none that catered to boardgamers until now.

I'm wondering why you don't consider the venerable Pegasus Games in this category. They've been catering to Madison boardgamers the entire time I've been in Madison (15+ years). Pegasus carries a very good selection of Euros as well as minis and CCG's, and they organize boardgaming events, including lending out and teaching games in the games room at Geekcon.

While I'm thinking of it The Last Square, while mainly focusing on wargames and minis, also carries a good selection of Euros.

I'm looking forward to checking out I'm Board, but they're not the only game in town
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Ravenscroft
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Just popped over for a look. They certainly are carrying a lot of inventory - a really good selection of games and certainly the largest in town. I hope they get the patronage they need to stay in business - it's definitely the go-to place if you need a certain game right away. Has that new game store smell, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Manning
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gobbeg wrote:
Quote:
but none that catered to boardgamers until now.

I'm wondering why you don't consider the venerable Pegasus Games in this category. They've been catering to Madison boardgamers the entire time I've been in Madison (15+ years). Pegasus carries a very good selection of Euros as well as minis and CCG's, and they organize boardgaming events, including lending out and teaching games in the games room at Geekcon.

While I'm thinking of it The Last Square, while mainly focusing on wargames and minis, also carries a good selection of Euros.

I'm looking forward to checking out I'm Board, but they're not the only game in town

Maybe that came off too strong. Pegasus definitely caters to boadgamers and is a Madison institution. I've been in Madison for 13 years and they've been my go to store the whole time. I'm just excited to have an alternative that seems to put a little more emphasis on board games and hopefully board game events. Most of the Pegasus events are CCG, minis or roleplaying. I love the Last Square too.

Really we're pretty lucky here in Madison to have so many choices. I think the area can support all of our game stores. I don't want anyone reading this to think they should write off the other four stores in town. I know I'll do my best to support all of them because in the end thats what is best for gaming in Madison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Schafer
United States
Stoughton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought my first game from Pegasus, Power Grid.

They just have smaller selection, and they do focus more on CCG's. Which is fine. The selection @ I'm Board is the best in town.. which will keep me coming back, versus buying what I want online. They had about 6-7 games I wanted, where as Pegasus has 1..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just stopped by today. Very nice store, amazing selection. Very knowledgeable and quality staff. I made my first FLGS purchase since the Avalon Hill days of Kay Bee Toys. Yes, you do the math.

I will definitely return here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Draco Hantero
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was very impressed by the selection as well. Wanted to reiterate too that they have a large section of kids/family games that just does not exist at any of the other stores in town so if you want a game for the little ones this is certainly the place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Mount Horeb
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! I didn't know anything about this. I was hanging out in that area all weekend too....I'll stop by as soon as I can. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Newton
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool to see everyone supporting their FLGS! Way to go BGGeekers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin L
United States
Verona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've added I'm Board to the list of retailers on the Madison regional guild page: Madison, WI, USA

It's a great place!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
2019 unique titles | 2019 total plays
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
houjix wrote:
It's a great place!
This is true. I played some games there today and it was nice. Again, welcoming and it's nice to browse the quality selection. I'm really happy to see this place show up and I'll be doing what I can to spread the word and support the place!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaadd Powell
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to see about getting down there and doing some Demos/teaching sessions of games soon. Talked with the owner and he seems really into boardgames and is very keen on growing things. I have a pretty solid background of teaching games (after 5 years at FFG) so most of those titles are easy, and I have some others I rather like too. Will be trying to do stuff via their Facebook, with notice on when and what.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Matejka
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds awesome, Thaadd. Keep us posted!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Layout is a lot more open than Pegasus and the owner was nice enough to sign me up for their rewards program without me having to ask. Selection is great. It's retail price so I'll probably mostly keep ordering online but it's nice to have the option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kikathumper
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going over there tonight with the Madison Company of Gamers Meetup group (open to everyone! ). Really excited to have another place to meet on this side of town. Brian (owner) is staying open late for us and has been promoting the meetup on FB and Twitter for us! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thaadd wrote:
I'm going to see about getting down there and doing some Demos/teaching sessions of games soon. Talked with the owner and he seems really into boardgames and is very keen on growing things. I have a pretty solid background of teaching games (after 5 years at FFG) so most of those titles are easy, and I have some others I rather like too. Will be trying to do stuff via their Facebook, with notice on when and what.

How sad I was when I went to do research for my trip to Madison for Back Friday that I find out that Thaadd has left us for Madtown! cry

Well I checked out this shop while there and picked up a couple of small card games I was having a hard time finding in the TC. Needless to say, I'll be back and it's my favorite shop in Madison now, esp since I tend to stay in Middleton while I'm there. So you lucky suckers in Madison get not only a fantastic shop, but a fantastic member of the BG community from up north.

See you at Convergence I hope Thaadd?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaadd Powell
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure - I was being lured pretty hard by the Ops Department to come back and sport a little walkie talkie. I think I might enjoy convergence more these days since it will a bit more like a homecoming. I've already registered for my first Madison convention - WisCon in May and I am looking forward to that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |