Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Paradis
Canada
Québec City
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a little article I wrote for the Victory Point Games web site a few weeks ago. Hopefully some gamers might find it interesting.

My design philosophy for all levels of wargames is that the player should only be required to manage a reasonable number of manoeuver elements during play (not thousands upon thousands of counters). By my definition, a “manoeuver element” can consist of more than one counter, such as a stack or a small group of units acting toward the same goal. When I design a game, an ideal number of maneuver elements for a player to command is between twelve (roughly the number of troops in an infantry squad that an NCO commands) and sixteen (the number of pieces on each side in a chess game), with twenty units close to the maximum that I feel comfortable burdening a player with.

It seems to me that, in many wargames, the player wears too many hats. This often results in slow gameplay (and, I believe, less enjoyment for most players) due to everything from information overload (too much data to process), to paralysis by analysis (too many permutations and possibilities to consider), to old fashioned decision fatigue. This often results in the game system (instead of the player) playing/controlling the action because the player is too busy just trying to push his myriad counters around correctly! VPG’s "small format" games are an ideal venue for my design philosophy, and you can expect many more No Retreat! series games in the future.

No Retreat! 3: The French Front, 1940 I began working on No Retreat 3 in late 2009, and a lot has changed since the first version thanks to all that I’ve learned along the way! The core mechanics of play remain VPG’s No Retreat! rules set, but with several adjustments to account for the different time/scale ratios. No Retreat 1: The Russian Front, 1941-1944 features a scale of two-month turns, Army and Front-size units, and 100km hexes. No Retreat 2: The North African Front, 1940-1942’s scale is one to two-month turns, Division and Brigade-size units, and 16km hexes. No Retreat 3: The French Front, 1940 presents another new scale of four-day turns, Army and Corps-size units, and 30km hexes.

So the big difference in NR3 is the very short time that each turn represents compared to the first two games. Thus, the combat results and replacement system needed to be a bit different. For each side’s “energy” resource required to do things, NR1 used discards and NR2 used fixed Supply Points. In NR3, the energy resource is “Initiative Points.” The players receive a fixed amount each turn with additional Initiative Points earned through battle victories or discards. With the shorter time scale, the Shattered Units box is gone, and the supply penalties are different, too, along with the Zone of Control rules. In the Reserve/Rail Movement Phase of each turn, both players can deploy troops; this takes into account the excellent road/rail network of that part of Europe and recreates the surprise moves that happened in this campaign (The Ardennes, Sedan, Arras, etc…).

NR3 also has Paratroop Raids, Sea Evacuations, the Maginot Line Fortifications, open cities, and even covers the remote possibility of a Swiss invasion – and more features still!

The other major change in the system, inspired by the recent NR1 Solitaire Expansion Kit, is the addition of historical Plan cards. Each player draws one of these cards and receives Victory Points on specific occasions if he succeeds in meeting the card’s goals. You do not have to follow the card’s orders and goals, but if you don’t, gone are those precious Victory Points! There is also a possibility of changing plans later in the game, if you’re not satisfied with your initial draw. In NR3, there is also the distinct possibility that the Allies could get their act together and adapt quickly enough to Blitzkrieg tactics (given the chance and breathing space), something they were not able to do in the actual campaign.

The major operational differences between the foes are seamlessly integrated. The French have to declare their attacks before conducting their Movement Phase, not at the beginning of the Combat Phase, thus limiting their options in a battle of maneuver, with French stacking options and advances-after-combat likewise limited for a time. There are also different Combat Results Tables, depending on the number of mobile units engaged (with the Germans having the advantage here). Germany’s Luftwaffe, tactical superiority, and German battle flexibility are also simulated in a hassle-free way, as is the gradual improvement of French defensive tactics against the Panzers over time.

There are still a few things that I want to adjust, depending on playtesting feedback. But I’m sure that you will find this game to be fast-playing, exciting, and yet render a historically accurate depiction of this dramatic Campaign.

As with the other No Retreat! titles, there will be multiple scenarios:

1- Standard Game (Starts on turn 1) 2- Historical Game (Starts on Turn 1) 3- Simulation Game (Starts on Turn 2) 4- "Case Red" Scenario (Turns 7 to 12) 5- Dunkirk Scenario (Turns 4 to 7)

No Retreat! 4: The Italian Front, 1943 to 1945 The Italian campaign of WW2 is a great game topic, sadly underproduced by wargame designers since the venerable Anzio was published by Avalon Hill in the late 1960s. My No Retreat! take on this subject "fixes" (in my opinion, of course) the minor weakness of this great Avalon Hill classic. Specifically, these include Anzio’s excessive playing time for the grand campaign (80 turns!), the large number of units, and the often long (albeit historical) downtimes between frontline action. The map for NR4 covers all of Italy, with Sicily included, and features the key facets of this fascinating campaign: the mountain battles, multiple amphibious landings, extensive German fortification lines, the myriad of troops composing the Allied armies, elite units, and so forth. And of course, all of this will feature the low unit density, spiffy card events, and ease of play that you have come to expect from a No Retreat! series game.

In NR4, there is also an intrinsic change designed into the core gameplay. Playing the Germans during the Italian Campaign in previous game releases hasn’t always been very fun – most of the time the Germans are playing strictly defense with little opportunities for decisive blows or much maneuver. So, in NR4, there is a possibility that players must switch sides (depending on a Success Threshold table). Thus, both participants should have the chance to do some serious attacking!

No Retreat 5: The Western Front, 1944 to 1945 I will begin work on NR5 in earnest in 2012. It features the battle for Western Europe, starting with the D-Day invasion and ending with the probable capitulation of Nazi Germany. The twist in this game is that the first half of play features preparation and the invasion itself, while the second half is a more traditional wargame about this near-final campaign to end WW2. In effect, there are two game systems included in the rules, with each half of the game playable separately.

Operational No Retreat! I am also about to embark on a design adventure to create a new series of more operational level No Retreat! games. The unit scale will drop to the Battalion and Regiment level and feature smaller battles and maps. The first two titles on my To Do List include The Air Assault on Crete, 1941, and The Battle for Velikie Luki, Russia, 1942-43. Here, the twist is that the way of resolving combat does not need to be a traditional odds-based system. When I’m done, you can expect fast, furious, yet realistic low-complexity tactical/operational level games.

The Game Event Horizon As I’m sharing my ruminations about far-future designs here, allow me to tease you with two more long-term projects that VPG has agreed to publish. These are:

A series of solitaire submarine games where you command one, very specific submarine from WW2, and live its story. The first such game features a German U-Boat in the game, U-662: The Hunter and Hunted, 1942 to 1943. For the second game, I plan to deal with an American submarine in the Pacific, but I have not yet decided which one.

Finally, with my biggest idea for last, I am working on my own remake of the uber-classic Avalon Hill game, PanzerBlitz. If you appreciate my designs, you’ll see some neat little “new and different touches” to WW2 tactical combat game in what I am striving to be a very elegant system that everyone who grew up playing PanzerBlitz can easily recognize and appreciate. Significantly, I am designing it release in efficient modules, each covering a specific time period and area of WW2 (e.g., Russia ‘41, France ‘40, North Africa ’42, etc...).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good stuff!

NR4 sure sounds interesting - and even a bit terrifying with the side switch you mention! But it sounds like a good incitement for the Allied player to keep pushing. (I suppose the German "earns" his chance to play the more offensive side by delaying the Allies long enough?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
Québec City
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FderGrosse wrote:
NR4 sure sounds interesting - and even a bit terrifying with the side switch you mention! But it sounds like a good incitement for the Allied player to keep pushing. (I suppose the German "earns" his chance to play the more offensive side by delaying the Allies long enough?)
I have already some experience in the "switch sides" concept as I have used it for my "No Retreat! Russian Front" solitaire module.

There is many ways of doing it, the players will keep their VP score intact when they switch sides.

But here I'll do it the complete opposite of what you tell: It's mainly the underdog player (the one with Less VPs) that will have the opportunity to switch sides. Not the one who is winning. But some "critical" ojbjectives taken or lost might also preclude a switch of sides. I'll use the NR! "Sudden Death" mechanic to manage all this. like for the NR! Solitaire module.

Also, an extra optional "joker" card in the deck will give the possibility of a more "random" switch occuring, where if the targeted player really does not want to do the said switch, he can stop it, but at a VP penalty.

Plus there will be yet another optionnal rule allowing you to scrap the "Side Switching" altogether if you don't like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
Québec City
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dantes wrote:
Panzer Blitz sounds great! (The others also.) I wish you strength and good luck!
Thanks! I really want to make the "PanzerBlitz" game easy to play but not a parody of the real, historical operations. Making the game system will be the easy part; the "problem" will be doing the maps and all the counters. Designing the scenarios should be fun, I already have a lot of material for those.

But I'll not tackle this intensively before next year. I barely got enough time as is to finish my cut=rrent projects. I guess It'll be a fight between doing "Panzerblitz" or the "U-662/USS Drum" solitaire series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sinclair
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Detroit Red Wings fanMicrobadge: Grand Rapids Griffins fanMicrobadge: Detroit Tigers fanMicrobadge: NFL fanMicrobadge: I play both wargames and euros
How about NR6 - Pacific?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Larsen
Denmark
Naerum (Copenhagen)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are a machine, Carl!

I dont know how you do it, with a full-time job "on the side".

But no matter how, it sure works!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
Québec City
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian Sinclair wrote:
How about NR6 - Pacific?
Yeah. Well... I don't know THAT much about the Pacific so I put that project on the back burner in 2010. I had one Australian gamer who wanted to tackle the subject, and I was working with him for a while, then he decided that Designing was not his cup of tea and dropped the project: I'm lucky though, as he sent me all his work and research material.

The tentative title was: "Hell in Paradise" The Pacific Front.

It will be at a smaller "operational" scale. No strategic game with all the theater here, there are games doing this very well already, like: Empire of the Sun.

The planned few games were about the first New Ginean Campaign, Tarawa, and Guadalcanal.

So, perhaps, one day, I'll do this, I'm slowly accumulating more research material.. But the priority is not there for now. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Langenfeld
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's quite a plateful. Drop me a line when you're looking for playtesters for NR3+.

The PanzerBlitz update sounds like fun. Panzer Leader was a real favorite, back in the day. I was tempted for a while by MMP's Hill of Death, but shied away when the reviews started coming in. Sign me up for the playtest of that as well.

As for an American sub, the first that actually came to mind was the USS Walrus, the sub from the novel/film, "Run Silent, Run Deep". I suppose there'd be licensing problems with that, however.

-Joel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
Québec City
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SkunkyBeer wrote:
That's quite a plateful. Drop me a line when you're looking for playtesters for NR3+.

The PanzerBlitz update sounds like fun. Panzer Leader was a real favorite, back in the day. I was tempted for a while by MMP's Hill of Death, but shied away when the reviews started coming in. Sign me up for the playtest of that as well.

As for an American sub, the first that actually came to mind was the USS Walrus, the sub from the novel/film, "Run Silent, Run Deep". I suppose there'd be licensing problems with that, however.

-Joel
Right! I started the system with "PanzerLeader", too. My first wargame, bought in a Mimami, Fl, hobbyshop, was "Luftwaffe": at the time I hesitated between it and "Panzerblitz", also on the shelves.

As for the American Sub, same as the German: I wanted a sub that had an average/long/meaningful career, but that was not too "famous". Just a "run of the mill" sub. I searched for it for a year or so, until last month I saw the eulogy for the captain of the USS Drum, just recently deceased: so I read more about the skipper and the sub's history and it dit fit my requirements almost perfectly.

So the USS Drun it will be!

BTW the Sub still exists and you can actually visit it!

http://drum228.org/

P.S; will drop you a line for NR4. NR3 is almost finished already!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
They all sound great to me. I am really looking forward to NR3. I hope that the deluxe version from GMT is successful so that they all get the same treatment .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
Québec City
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TGov wrote:
They all sound great to me. I am really looking forward to NR3. I hope that the deluxe version from GMT is successful so that they all get the same treatment .
With luck, there might just be more to come on the P500.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j b Goodwin

Lynchburg
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy !@#$%^

Sounds GREAT!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Langenfeld
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
licinius wrote:
SkunkyBeer wrote:

-Joel
Right! I started the system with "PanzerLeader", too. My first wargame, bought in a Mimami, Fl, hobbyshop, was "Luftwaffe": at the time I hesitated between it and "Panzerblitz", also on the shelves.

As for the American Sub, same as the German: I wanted a sub that had an average/long/meaningful career, but that was not too "famous". Just a "run of the mill" sub. I searched for it for a year or so, until last month I saw the eulogy for the captain of the USS Drum, just recently deceased: so I read more about the skipper and the sub's history and it dit fit my requirements almost perfectly.

So the USS Drun it will be!

BTW the Sub still exists and you can actually visit it!

http://drum228.org/

P.S; will drop you a line for NR4. NR3 is almost finished already!
Great. I have a copy of Clark's Anzio around here somewhere. I was supposed to have read it for a book club, but it was a busy month, and I knew I wasn't going to make the meeting... Now I have the motivation to revisit it. I've already finished the Sept book, so I'm in the clear.

{Edit}
The Sept book is Beevor's D-day - That will get me to turn 3 or 4 of NR5. Hurry up, eh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
Québec City
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SkunkyBeer wrote:
{Edit} The Sept book is Beevor's D-day - That will get me to turn 3 or 4 of NR5. Hurry up, eh?
Argh... Not... Enough... Time... cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
>Argh... Not... Enough... Time...

Only because you insist on keeping your day job, instead of devoting yourself to our gaming needs

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
Québec City
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brian asklev aursen wrote:
>Argh... Not... Enough... Time...

Only because you insist on keeping your day job, instead of devoting yourself to our gaming needs

Brian
Right. And don't forget my girlfriend's needs... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Right. And don't forget my girlfriend's needs... whistle
Not my problem - I just want a lot of games

....Unfortunately I dont have time to play them because of my wife´s needs....

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spyros Gkiouzepas
Greece
THESSALONIKI
flag msg tools
badge
But what is the question?
mbmbmbmbmb
I find this whole subject very interesting! Thanks for sharing this information. I am fairly new to wargames (played only FAB, EE, CoH 1941 and 1943, CC:E, Espana 1936 and Tottensontag) over the last couple of years I begun to appreciate the virtues of wargames. I thinkall of the ideas are interesting and I look forward to see the CRTs of NR3 and their relationship with the mobile forces involved as well as the change sides mechanic of NR 4.

Probably it's just me, but I find that the most interesting part of this post the one about the unit density. I really like the design philosophy behind it. I can see why some people won't be very enthusiastic about having only a handful of counters to represent the epic fight of the Eastern Front but that what caught my attention in this game initially

licinius wrote:
My design philosophy for all levels of wargames is that the player should only be required to manage a reasonable number of manoeuver elements during play (not thousands upon thousands of counters). By my definition, a “manoeuver element” can consist of more than one counter, such as a stack or a small group of units acting toward the same goal. When I design a game, an ideal number of maneuver elements for a player to command is between twelve (roughly the number of troops in an infantry squad that an NCO commands) and sixteen (the number of pieces on each side in a chess game), with twenty units close to the maximum that I feel comfortable burdening a player with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
You know with Hitler? the more I learn about that guy, the more I don't care for him
badge
contrarian
mbmbmbmbmb

Yes, the only problem with this thread is that I want all these games now. The France 1940 campaign sounds great. I was thinking about getting 'Case Yellow' - now I think I might hold fire. A Swiss invasion - I'd do that just to see what happens...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
Québec City
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashiefan wrote:

Yes, the only problem with this thread is that I want all these games now. The France 1940 campaign sounds great. I was thinking about getting 'Case Yellow' - now I think I might hold fire. A Swiss invasion - I'd do that just to see what happens...
The France 1940 game is almost ready. The playtest is done and I have dont the very last adjustments to the scenarios yesterday.

All that is left to do is a few examples of play and player/designer notes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Dubois
France
La Garenne Colombes
Hauts de Seine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing this with us....with a little delay for me snore

As a French (and as a grand son of prisoner), i am looking forward for NR3 and NR5 of course but NR4 sounds very interesting too.

NR3 : i guess sea evacuation means Dunkirk, right ? The introduction of Blitzkrieg tactics is a great plus.

NR4 : i second that it is a campaign that deserves a closer and better focus/look. Will Monte Cassino receive a special treatment/ruling ?

NR5 : wow, just wow. It sounds very epic !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
licinius wrote:

It seems to me that, in many wargames, the player wears too many hats. This often results in slow gameplay (and, I believe, less enjoyment for most players) due to everything from information overload (too much data to process), to paralysis by analysis (too many permutations and possibilities to consider), to old fashioned decision fatigue. This often results in the game system (instead of the player) playing/controlling the action because the player is too busy just trying to push his myriad counters around correctly! VPG’s "small format" games are an ideal venue for my design philosophy, and you can expect many more No Retreat! series games in the future.
I think this is a really important point, and one I fully agree with. The decisions that you are making should be both manageable and appropriate to the scale. That's one reason why I tend to prefer point to point maps at the strategic level, as they filter out a lot of the noise and let you think about avenues of advance rather than counting MPs and ending up in this or that hex.

I'm very interested in tactical games at the moment, and the discussion brings me back to Fields of Fire, a game that I find cluttered and difficult, but one with a fantastic focus on what the player's role is and what are the appropriate things he should be able to do or not do. I would love to see someone take this approach to a 2-player game, so that you lose effective control of your forces as they come into contact with the enemy, and your decisions are reduced to where to commit reserves and when to signal an end to the engagement and break off. I think it would probably require an area map to be effective, which is essentially what FoF uses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
Québec City
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fdubois wrote:
Thanks for sharing this with us....with a little delay for me snore

As a French (and as a grand son of prisoner), i am looking forward for NR3 and NR5 of course but NR4 sounds very interesting too.

NR3 : i guess sea evacuation means Dunkirk, right ? The introduction of Blitzkrieg tactics is a great plus.

NR4 : i second that it is a campaign that deserves a closer and better focus/look. Will Monte Cassino receive a special treatment/ruling ?

NR5 : wow, just wow. It sounds very epic !

Yes, Dunkirk.

BTW my Grandfather landed in France (Britanny) as in Infantry Lieutenant in June 1940 with the 1st Canadian Division (to rembark almost immediately, LOL!). He then did land back AGAIN, on June 6th, 1944. Survied the war as a full Major.

In NR4! there will be quite a few special rules, including one where the player could switch sides ( ! ) during the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
Québec City
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And here is a picture of my Grandfather in 1940 (hey, he already had won some medals!). Obviously in the Canadian Army Infantry was already fully motorized! LOL!

Notice the drill whistle around his neck. He was an officer at the time, but First Seargent-Major in 1937. Old habits die hard and he kept his whistle with him at all times as a "good luck" charm.

And Yes, at the time almost everybody was smoking.

Click on the picture to see it full-size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
Québec City
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seanmac wrote:

I'm very interested in tactical games at the moment, and the discussion brings me back to Fields of Fire, a game that I find cluttered and difficult, but one with a fantastic focus on what the player's role is and what are the appropriate things he should be able to do or not do. I would love to see someone take this approach to a 2-player game, so that you lose effective control of your forces as they come into contact with the enemy, and your decisions are reduced to where to commit reserves and when to signal an end to the engagement and break off. I think it would probably require an area map to be effective, which is essentially what FoF uses.
Very true.

This is what I want to do. But with maps. I,m looking at doing a tactical system. The engaged units will lose effectiveness during combat.

There will be no dice, no combat-based odds, no modifiers to compute either. You resolve the engagements by hading bot sides throw a pre-determined number of round markers (two sides per marker), and then compare both resutls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |