Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Disclaimer: I will not cover the rules since they are available online. I will also assume the reader has some familiarity with deck building mechanics.

When I first heard of Eaten By Zombies, and heard it was a deck building game, I rolled my eyes a little. The market is flooded with deck building games, and it's hard for new entries into this genre to distinguish themselves. Then I looked a little further and saw how different the game mechanics were, and instantly pre-ordered it (I do like Zombies as a theme).

Is it like Dominion?

The inevitable question. The answer is that it's not anything like Dominion. First of all, it's not about accumulating the most points, so that right there sets it apart from most of the deck builders (Puzzle Strike and Nightfall being the two other exceptions I know of).

So if I love , should I get this?

It's hard to say. If you like to build a finely tuned deck for accumulating lots of points, then no. Players can mess with you, and because damage taken loses cards out of your deck/hand/discard pile, maintaining careful card ratios is hard to maintain. If you like a great theme, and you like to try something new, then definitely check this out.

So what's so new about yet another deck building game?

Eaten By Zombies is cooperative and competitive. At the same time. This is because there are three ways to win:

1. Players can either all win together by defeating the entire zombie deck (cooperative victory)
2. They can turn on each other by actively trying to screw over the other opponents. (last man standing victory)
3. If a player has become a zombie, they can win by forcing one of the remaining human players to go insane. (team victory)

The gameplay also shifts as the zombie horde grows in the intensity of its attacks. At first, you only reveal one zombie at a time, and players can almost always deal with just one zombie, no matter what kind it is. However, once you empty the zombie deck, you shuffle the zombie discard pile and increase the zombies drawn to two...and then three...four...five...braaaaiiinnnsssss... We had one game where we were trying for a cooperative victory, but the zombie horde got so out of hand that it shifted to a fight for survival. Then the next game we demolished the zombies to achieve a cooperative victory! It's really interesting how the game shifts as it progresses.

Also, the fact that when you scavenge for swag (go shopping in the village) you place the purchased cards into your hand INSTEAD of the discard pile really adds some complexity and planning you don't have in any other deck building game. Sure, you can make sure you have X number of cards in your deck, and just hope that you shuffle it thoroughly, but in Eaten by Zombies you can look at what you have left in your hand, and then figure what you can purchase to compliment that. It's such a small rule change but it really adds a lot to how much planning you can do (unless you keep forgetting to put cards you bought into your hand...not that I ever did that).

Summary

Eaten By Zombies is a LOT of fun, and unless you really have something against zombie themes, I highly recommend you check this out. The box looks like a little army ammo box, and they took it a step further with the card dividers by having one for each of the four starting decks with the character's name, and then having the card divider double as a reference card. Human player info on one side, and zombie player info on the other

Whether you have a really cutthroat competitive group of gamers, a den of thieves/Cylons that like to backstab each other or a lets-hold-hands-and-sing-kumbaya group of cooperative game lovers, there's something here for you! If you are really, REALLY, REALLY tired of deck building games, definitely try this one out because it offers a lot of really new innovations.

Cameron

(woot for my first review ever!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samantha RD
South Africa
Harrismith
Free State
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Good first review

I have kickstarted this and can't wait to get my copy - it sounds really fun - the idea that your goals will shift during the game actually didn't even occur to me, but of course they would, how many people were you playing with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Robinson
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review. I kickstarted the game and am excited to get my copy in the coming weeks/months. How did you get a copy so early?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Booms: I pre-ordered, so I am one of the lucky first 100 (mine is #52).

Samantha: We played with three players. It should be the same no matter how many players you have, since you add more zombies to the zombie deck.

Cameron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Booms, those few that are getting their copies this early either preordered directly with Max at GenCon/Origins or on our website where we had it for about a week before deciding to move it to Kickstarter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Tullgren
Sweden
Höör
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maydaygames wrote:
Booms, those few that are getting their copies this early either preordered directly with Max at GenCon/Origins or on our website where we had it for about a week before deciding to move it to Kickstarter.

I preordered from your website before any kickstarter, but doesn't seem as it's been shipped to me yet. At the site it's been "Processing Pre-Order" since I ordered

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jc or Jace
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review Cameron =D!

I'm surprised it's your first since it's really good!

I ordered 8 copies from Kickstarter !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Roy
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
27 World Series titles and counting!
badge
Looks like 28 is coming in this year!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review, that sounds like a lot of fun, can't wait to get it myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I juggle cats.
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeede wrote:

it's not about accumulating the most points, so that right there sets it apart from most of the deck builders (Puzzle Strike and Nightfall being the two other exceptions I know of).

Add Rune Age to your list. The two you mention are about accumulating the least "victory points". Rune Age is about accomplishing an objective (different for each scenario).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cameron,

I like your take on the game. When you get a cooperative victory, are you counting the cards in each deck to see who the 'real' winner is? Or are you just saying everyone wins?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh my god. It sounds awesome. I might have to buy another deck building game. I have Dominion (all of it), Thunderstone, and Nightfall (to attempt to get something in another direction). Eaten by Zombies definitely feels like a different direction!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I'd rather like to know is if you hate Dominion, will you hate this too? I haven't tried any other deckbuilding game, as Dominion totally soured the experience for me.

What I don't like about Dominion is the mechanical nature of it, that amounts to just building your deck. My turn, I do this, take one card, then it's your turn... It just felt boring, and the payout is non-existant, since you're building your deck just to build your deck.

Anywho, that's my opinion of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
murksofus wrote:
What I'd rather like to know is if you hate Dominion, will you hate this too? I haven't tried any other deckbuilding game, as Dominion totally soured the experience for me.

What I don't like about Dominion is the mechanical nature of it, that amounts to just building your deck. My turn, I do this, take one card, then it's your turn... It just felt boring, and the payout is non-existant, since you're building your deck just to build your deck.

No a viewpoint widely shared by a growing horde of people burnt out after logging 300 plus plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chearns wrote:
Cameron,

I like your take on the game. When you get a cooperative victory, are you counting the cards in each deck to see who the 'real' winner is? Or are you just saying everyone wins?

We just said that everyone wins. I've always found the "we all won, but I won more than anyone else did" cooperative victories to be stupid. Especially since if you really want to be the sole winner in Eaten By Zombies you can just backstab your teammates

murksofus wrote:

I also hate Dominion, and this is a lot less mechanical. I didn't mention it in the review, but Eaten By Zombies is a "multiple buy" deck building game in that you can buy as much stuff as you want, so long as you have the currency for it (well, and as long as you don't exceed your hand limit). I would highly recommend you try this game, as well as Thunderstone and Puzzle Strike.

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave D
msg tools
What about card quality? I really dislike having to sleeve cards. I can probably stand some white scuffing at the edges, but not so much corners splitting, or problems with the cards being able to hold up to repeated bending from shuffling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Holliday
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kurahoshi wrote:
What about card quality? I really dislike having to sleeve cards. I can probably stand some white scuffing at the edges, but not so much corners splitting, or problems with the cards being able to hold up to repeated bending from shuffling.

I'm keeping a set un-sleeved to play with and to get a better a sense of the card quality. I'm planing to post pics of any damage every 15-20 games. I keep the box in my bag at all times so I'll post pics of that too as it gets bet up. I'm taking it camping this weekend so this may not last...shake
I can tell you I was blown-away by the cards when I first opened the white proof and then again when I opened the first box... but I know I'm the design and you can't trust me... but really the cards are unbelievable!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kurahoshi wrote:

It has some of the best quality cards I've seen of late. I don't like to sleeve cards, but I have no worries about these ones holding up under heavy use. Also, a very nice plus for pre-order owners, they apparently had the promo cards printed at the same time as the regular cards, so they are identical.

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aaron belmer
United States
Webster Groves
St Louis
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first game tonight, man this is really well thought out and designed game. AND the production quality is super top notch. Mayday should really be proud of the:

-card quality
-box it comes in WITH room for expansions and sleeved cards
-well written rulebook
-card dividers

Just all around awesome game.

It's funny, played the game with my wife to try it out. We played cooperatively at first, open hands, to learn the game. She's not much of a gamer, and really prefers co-op games, which EBZ totally allows.

But then halfway through the game, we both come to a stark realization: there's nothing you can do with the zombies in your hand when playing 100% co-op. They stick around, start to muck up your hand, and you have to be able to play them out.

Now at first, I explained how with open hands, we could play them strategically together to take advantage of each other's hands and fight them successfully. But she got kind of a devious look in her eye, and played one on me, and we slowly picked up our hands, lol.

From there out it was on. Great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review Cameron. This game is going on my Wish List. The heck with that, it is going on my MUST BUY listzombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Cookman
United States
Tampa
FL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review Cameron! Double-WooT for you!

I was a supporter before I read this review, but the review makes me want the game NOW!!!

Unfortunately, I must be patient and wait for it to come around Essen time, I guess.

Mark
365ZED
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the positive comments! I may start to do this more regularly...

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.