Subject: Looking for Game Stores in Alabama rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hector Irizarry
United States
Unspecified
Alabama
flag msg tools
I'm looking for game stores in Huntsville/Birmingham, Alabama or closer to, that carries the new line of euro-games. Please, no Toys-R-Us, KBToys, etc. The only one that I know is Bookmark. Please anyone from this area provide info. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is one in Tuscaloosa called Crimson Castle that has a large selection of Euro Games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Irizarry
United States
Unspecified
Alabama
flag msg tools
Thanks! I'll give a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can email the owner to see if he has something you want in stock or
he will special order something for you to. I have only been to his store
once, but it was very nice:

crimson@bellsouth.net

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Believe it or not, there are at least three stores in Birmingham alone that carry Eurogames. The Galleria Mall has Nord's Games, a specialty chain that has a whole wall of the latest designer boardgames, as well as chess, miniatures, RPG stuff, etc. Across the street *next* to Toys R Us is a little shop called Hobbytown, USA that has a *few* eurogames, but mostly model kits and RC toys. Behind the Summit shopping center on Highway 280, there's another small strip shopping center on Cahaba Road, called Legion. They have three storefronts, one of which has a small selection of Eurogames. Of these three, I'd say Nord's in the Galleria has the most variety, although there are some gems tucked away in the others.

If you don't mind an extra 40 minute trip west, there's a really really good new chess and boardgame store in Tuscaloosa, home of the University of Alabama. It's Crimson Castle, on 15th street across from the old Central High School. It's run by a guy who had the largest game store in north Texas before his wife went to work for UA last fall. He has a great selection of new and older (and some out of print) eurogames, and gets all the latest things from what I've seen. Definitely worth a trip.

Pm me if you need further directions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Irizarry
United States
Unspecified
Alabama
flag msg tools
Thanks to all so much for the input. I'll e-mail you back if need directions, specially for Birmingham.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know if you make it down to Montgomery much but, if so, there used to be a Comics/Game store off of East Blvd close to the Montgomery Mall. They had a decent amount of Euro-games there. It's been a couple of years but I'm guessing it's still there. Address info is below:

VISIONS CARDS & GAMES
3621 DEBBY DR
MONTGOMERY AL 36111
PH 334-288-3300

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwsparks
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
When the bullet hits the bone!
mbmbmbmbmb

Ponce1944,

Here in Huntsville, there is also Hobbytown USA, which carries a few Euro games (but admittedly not that many). I've had good luck with special orders from Bookmark, and they still give you 5% off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Irizarry
United States
Unspecified
Alabama
flag msg tools
They use to carry a lot of the euro's but lately I haven't seen that much there, mostly fantasy and wargaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When the HSV Hobbytown opened, they had a HUGE row of board games, right down the middle of the shop. It was quite a sight to see. Now, they have that small, half section where it looks like occasionally they get a new game in....but still, I've been looking at that same banged-up looking box of Cosmic Encounters for months now...and the half-opened Doom...

Bookmark has a better selection, though still far from what you'd call "impressive". When we want a BIG boardgame shopping trip (and feel like supporting a game store rather than an i'net shop), we have to travel to Chattanooga (Game Board, great store) or Nashville (Nord's Gaming in Hickory Hollow Mall).

However, looking at some helpful posts here it looks like there are stores much closer to us that we just didn't know about, and we'll have to check them out.

With as many computer nerds and engineering geeks we have here, you'd THINK we'd have a MASSIVE game store. Hobbytown sort of fits the bill....if you're into Warhammer (no, thanks) or model trains/planes/cars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hughes
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last I checked, Visions in Montgomery was still thriving. They usually have a surprisingly good game selection, as well as lots of GW stuff, and a regrettable quantity of CCG's. They do have a bad habit of failing to put any prices on their boardgames go, so be prepared to have to ask what everything costs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Helba
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just in the Huntsville HobbyTown about a week and a half ago, and the small, half section of board games has been decimated... at least from the Eurogame perspective. Nothing left but BookMark, it seems.

Mike

P.S.: PM me if you're looking for gamers in Huntsville.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. @kinson
United States
Grant
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bookmark shut down after Thanksgiving of 2010.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Meek
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
Visions has moved to Burbank Dr...it's still open.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger
United States
Montgomery
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
otha62 wrote:
Don't know if you make it down to Montgomery much but, if so, there used to be a Comics/Game store off of East Blvd close to the Montgomery Mall. They had a decent amount of Euro-games there. It's been a couple of years but I'm guessing it's still there. Address info is below:

VISIONS CARDS & GAMES
107 N Burbank Dr, Montgomery, AL, US, 36117 ยท (334) 215-3334 Near Eastdale Mall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Nelson
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's Quality Collectibles in Jasper behind the Captain D's restaurant. They have a fair amount of stuff, and I'm told they can usually order stuff for you if you don't see something you want. I think they even have a board game night where they demo various games. At least, that's what I've heard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls