tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parkin
United Kingdom
Wakefield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
You might want to clarify that you're talking about the Halifax in Canada (I presume from your profile).

I live near the original in Britain, can give you suggestions for that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick L
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
I put this in the Nova Scotia forum index so I didn't think I needed more detail.

Sorry for the confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Cameron
Canada
Unspecified
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Rick.

You may want to try Odyssey 2000 on Quinpool Road, Halifax; Strange Adventures on (IIRC) Sackville Street (also Halifax) and/or Third Eye Blind on Portland Street, Dartmouth, near the Dartmouth ferry terminal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick L
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks Gerald, I will check them out.

Rick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ron embree
Canada
springhill
nova scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I live in amherst, I shall have to check the stores out when i get down there. I have to go to Monton NB or Halifax to buy games, not much in between. Any place online to buy from in Canada? How about some Nova Scotia trades? I have Napoleon in Europe and settlers to trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Condran
Canada
Lawrencetown
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I live in Antigonish, NS and up until recently I had to do all my ordering online. Now that here is a game shop in town now it makes me very happy, and my friends too!

A few places you can order in canada are:

http://www.meeplemart.com/ ($15 CDN for ANY and all shipping in Canda, great prices)
http://www.boardgames.ca/ (constantly has sales on)
http://www.rainydaygames.ca (Great selection, but they go out of stock fast)

That should get you started.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bartlett
Canada
Bushby Inlet
Ontario
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's one more store in Halifax, Wilkie's on Robie Street by the North Common. Very few wargames though (because I bought most of the ones they had ) but they can order stuff in.

As for online places in Canada there also the Sentry Box in Calgary, www.sentrybox.com and Alan Snider has opened a new store in Vancouver, www.stalag17wargames.com

Both are excellent to deal with, though Sentry Box can be a bit pricey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Nowak
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been looking around Halifax for awhile to acquire some new boardgames, as I don't want to resort to buying online. Here are the places that have already been mentioned, but along with their current address and info:

Strange Adventures
902-425-2140
5262 Sackville Street,
Halifax, NS B3J 1K8

Odyssey 2000
902-429-6477
6407 Quinpool Road,
Halifax, NS B3L 1A7

The Monster Comic Lounge (Formerly known as Wilkie's)
902-429-2398
2091 Gottingen Street,
Halifax, NS B3K 3B2

I've only been to Strange Adventures so far. Their boardgame section is pretty limited, as it's only one corner shelf. They do have some eurogames though - the Settlers line, the Carcassonne line, Power Grid Memoir'44, Betrayal on a House on the Hill, Fearsome Floors, RoboRally, Warrior Knights, etc.

Odyssey 2000 is apparently a Rio-Grande Retailer, however, yesterday, when I called them, they were out of stock for both Power Grid and Puerto Rico! (Tsk tsk.)

I called in Wilkie's to check if they have Power Grid or Puerto Rico, and they do carry Puerto Rico, for a price of $49.95. I'll have to pick that up once I finally get my hands on Power Grid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are these stores still all open?
Ill be in Halifax later on this month on business for 3 days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Cameron
Canada
Unspecified
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dude163 wrote:
Are these stores still all open?
Ill be in Halifax later on this month on business for 3 days.
As of just before Christmas, yes, they are all still open.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks

Ill see if I can find anything interesting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't lived in Halifax (my birthplace) for more than a dozen years now, but am pleased to see that so many of the worthy stores that I remember are still open.

As for online places, it floors me that no one has mentioned the German Boardgame Company of Kitchener, Ontario. http://www.germangames.com/ Excellent service and selection!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamerz Lair
Canada
flag msg tools
There is a gaming store in Amherst Nova Scotia now.
660-GAME
86A Church Street

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William McDuff
Canada
Prince Rupert
British Columbia
flag msg tools
"'A grey man,' she said. 'Neither white nor black, but partaking of both. Is that what you are, Ser Davos?' 'What if I am? It seems to me most men are grey.'" -- Lady Melisandre of Asshai and Ser Davos Seaworth from A Clash of Kings by G.R.R. Martin
badge
A small part of a 17,000 pushpin video game art project I was involved with.
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of curiousity, any reviews on these? I'm going to be moving to Halifax, probably, and wonder which resembles a FLGS the most. Tables to play on, game nights, that sort of thing. Is one definitively better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Woods
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Odyssey 2000 appears to be closed. I believe Strange Adventures is still open. There is another store, in Dartmouth, called Third Eye Blind Collectibles, or something similar. Cannot find details about them, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do any of these shops have drop-in games? I may be in Halifax for a few weeks on business, and I'd like to play a few games; obviously, organizing a gaming group would be silly.

Thanks.

(Nice necromancy, BTW)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Arnold
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We have a meetup group that meets every week in Dartmouth.. When would you been visiting the fine east coast?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Arnold
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So here is the Run down of the open stores in Halifax/Dartmouth

Monsters Comic Lounge is Still open on Gottingen St
Strange Adventures Still open on Sackville Dr
Quantum Frontier Robie St halifax
Third Eye Blind & Golden Dragon are open on Sat and Sundays in the Dartmouth Harborview Market.
Let it Roll Board Game Shop In Dartmouth, home based business open to anyone to visit. (my shop)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Kehoe
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a little context for the Halifax-based stores:

Monsters Comic Lounge has the best selection of games IMO. They carry a broad range of publishers, including GMT Games and some small press. On the average, their prices seem a bit cheaper than the competition. It's still wise to compare, of course. Most of my impulse game shopping occurs here. They support all of the active Commands and Colors systems, and carry some GW product.

Strange Adventures is primarily a comic shop, and a very good one at that. Recently the board game section has shrunk slightly, as it now shares some space with 4th Edition D&D books. (The rest of the RPG section was removed entirely.) Strange focuses on board games that will sell to walk-in customers and games with crossover appeal to comics readers. Lots of copies of Ticket To Ride, Settlers of Catan, Carcassonne and Munchkin. Traditionally they have stocked most Days of Wonder and Fantasy Flight Games. The prices are usually a bit higher than Monster, but the owner holds multiple sales throughout the year, and those are the best time to pick over the board game shelf. No GW support.

Quantum Frontier: These guys have a pretty eclectic mix of material. Some traditional games (specialty monopoly etc), a fair bit of Hasbro-era Avalon Hill, a dash of DoW / FFG. I haven't really figured out the store's niche yet. Although I got a great deal on Ticket To Ride from them last Christmas, on the whole their prices are a bit more expensive than the competition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Kehoe
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I forgot to mention that Quantum Frontier also has a gaming table in-store, which I've seen used for D&D games. They also carry some Warhammer / GW stock. Halifax also has a dedicated Games Workshop store for those interested in such things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Life is Short; Play Games!
badge
The BixCON Series of gaming events: A combination of Great Friends, Great Games, Great Food, & Great Drink!
mb
I will be back in Nova Scotia from March 17th, 2010 until March 29th, 2010. I will in Halifax a number of times and would be interested in opportunities to play a game or two if there is something going on.

Cheers,
Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls