Popular Tags: [View All]
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
Well me known for eating cookie when me don't they shout
badge
Look! He try to throw loyal fans a curve!
mbmb
Yesterday marked the second annual Austin War of the Ring Day. This is a get-together we started last year to promote my favorite game, War of the Ring. This year we managed to get in 5 total games amongst 7 players. We also had a nice evening playing with more Austin area players.

This report will comprise 5 mini-reports from the games played.

Game 1: Dick (Free Peoples) vs. Ray (Shadow)

This game came down to a close finish. Isengard rolled into Helms Deep but lost Saruman to Ents shortly thereafter. Aragorn was also lost to an army of Orcs who sacked Minas Tirith. The Fellowship also ran into trouble, as Cruel Weather forces them back into Moria after they'd reached Dimrill Dale. Near the end of the game, the Fellowship was pushing into Mordor. The Shadow player had been unable to crack into Dol Amroth and was desperately chasing a combined Free Peoples Army that was defending Dale. The Fellowship climbed the Crack of Doom in time to destroy the Ring.

Game 2: Laurie (Free Peoples) vs. Brian (Shadow)

Brian was playing his first game. The Shadow massed large armies before attacking and had generally good fortune with sieges, taking Helms Deep and Minas Tirith without too great a trouble. The Free Peoples could not get Musters when needed for defense, nor could they get Character dice to move. The Shadow steamrolled to a military victory, taking from Gondor, Rohan and the Elves. I believe the game concluded with the Fellowship one step outside of Mordor.

Game 3: John (Free Peoples) vs. Geoff (Shadow)

This was our "newbie game". John had played before but it had been several years. Geoff was playing in his first game. One of the more exciting moments came following an unsuccessful siege of Minas Tirith. Both sides had a single regular unit left. This left both Aragorn and the Witch King in danger. The Free Peoples marched out for a field battle, putting both characters at risk. Aragorn was saved through a card that prevented hits on 5s, and both characters escaped alive.

The Fellowship reached Morder at 3 corruption, but were led at this point by Gollum. The Shadow rolled 4 Eyes (to go with one in the box for 5 total) the first turn in Mordor and drew an Eye tile. The following turn the Shadow rolled 3 eyes (total of 4) and drew another Eye tile to get the corruption win.

Game 4: Grant (Free Peoples) v. Laurie (Shadow)

This game everything went right for the Free Peoples. Lots of character dice to move the Fellowship, rarely was caught when multiple dice were in the Hunt box, and got the right reinforcement cards at the right time. The Shadow ran a 3 round siege of Minas Tirith, and concluded it when there 3 Sauron units left outside vs. Aragorn, Boromir and a single Regular. Sauron had an Elite remaining but was afraid to put the Witch King at risk and hoped to bring in nearby reinforcements before resuming the battle. Instead, the Free Peoples to used a card so Boromir could recruit an elite, then get a second Elite with Guards of the Citadels. Gondor held on the rest of the way.

This game was a near perfect sprint. Gandalf drew 5 extra character cards, Strider became guide long enough to rehide the Fellowship with a muster and heal with Athelas before separating off to become king. I realized going into Mordor I could win without losing a companion (except Gandalf, who had resurrected as Gandalf the White). To add insult to injury, the Hunt tile draws in Mordor were 2, 1, O with reveal, 1 with reveal, and 0. The Ringbearers finished the game with 6 corruption, all companions alive, having only lost Pelargir to the Shadow and and having a total losses of 9 Gondor units (4 regulars, 4 Elites, and a Leader).

Game 5: Dick (Free Peoples) v. Ray (Shadow)

This was a rematch from Game 1. The Free Peoples lost Aragorn during the siege of Minas Tirith to Black Breath. Following this loss the Shadow ceased the attack and retreated. Boromir led a sortie to defeat the army in Osgiliath and slay the Witch King.

The quest for Mount Doom was a nail-biting affair. Minas Tirith, Helms Deep and Erebor were lost before the Fellowship entered Mordor. Dale and Pelargir fell next with Lorien under siege. The Free Peoples quest up Mt. Doom stalled on the second step due to a lack of appropriate dice. On the final action die of the turn, with the final turn of the siege battle (all Elites used) the Shadow finished the last Free Peoples units.

That leaves the overall record 3-2 in favor of the Shadow. We had 2 Shadow military wins, a corruption win, and two Ring dunks. Lots of close games and no two the same!

Plans are underway for Austin War of the Ring Day: 3D next year!

And thanks to all our cast of colorful characters who came out to play!

Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Dick Leban
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Laurie Leban
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ray Flowers
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon H.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Give me all the bacon and eggs you have!
badge
Ron Swanson!
mbmbmbmbmb
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
*distinctive theme song whistle*
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian Roundhill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tallgrant wrote:
The Free Peoples lost Aragorn during the siege of Minas Tirith to Black Breath.
Wow! Now that is a lucky role! wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
*distinctive theme song whistle*
mbmbmbmbmb
tallgrant wrote:
Game 3: John (Free Peoples) vs. Geoff (Shadow)

. . .
The following turn the Shadow rolled 3 eyes (total of 4) and drew another Eye tile to get the corruption win.

One very minor correction (that happened while you were away from the table): Those last 3 eyes weren't rolled. That nasty Sauron had to use a card to turn a character die and two muster dice into eyes, because he didn't roll a single one of his own eyes sauron

PS - Thanks for the writeup! It was nice to be able to read about the games that I missed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
TrophyChase wrote:
Wow! Now that is a lucky role! wow

Yep. 3 hits on the reroll. Ray was on fire rolling 6s that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Flowers
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...and hitting on nearly all Hunt rolls AND drawing 4 eye tiles. Made up for the utterly terrible die rolls in the first match. that Black Breath though - that was a little insane (but I'll take it!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls