Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Harri Kokkonen
Finland
kuopio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I am going to Berlin next week and would really like to buy some games while I am there. I could find only really old threads for this and I don't know if those shops are there any more (I spent last year some time looking for a store that didn't exist any more..). So, has anybody any suggestions for a good store in Berlin?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A good address is

Gamer's HQ

http://www.gamers-hq.de

and in walking distance of this store there is another one called "Fantastische Welten" (or so I am really not sure about the name). Maybe one of the Berlin geeks can help out here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
β€œIt's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a good store! The best I've found in Berlin.

Although hard to find - I stood literally 100 meters away from the shop and couldn't spot it. So I asked a local, and he said "I do live here for 40 years, but there is no shop with that name in this street". However, I kept running up and down that street and then I spotted some Games Workshop minis in a window ... and later that evening, my credit card screeched ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harri Kokkonen
Finland
kuopio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick reply, the store looks superb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If there is something particular you are after, you might want to drop them a mail and let them know. It the item is not in stock they might get it for you just in time. If it is in stock NOW, they surely reserve it for you - they offer a great customer service!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remigi Illi
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
Mixo wrote:
and in walking distance of this store there is another one called "Fantastische Welten" (or so I am really not sure about the name). Maybe one of the Berlin geeks can help out here?
I think you mean Morgenwelt:
http://www.morgenwelt.org/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
remigi wrote:
Mixo wrote:
I think you mean Morgenwelt:
http://www.morgenwelt.org/
Yeah, that's the one I was talking about, though personally I think Gamer's HQ is the better pick, but anyway, it is cool to have two good stores within walking distance with each other (and last time I was in Berlin in bought in both shops....)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harri Kokkonen
Finland
kuopio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, this means then that I will have to buy twice the amount of the games Hopefully my luggage has space, or I'll have to send them home by DHL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McPhee
Scotland
Glasgow/ Elgin/ Ullapool (Garve)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just visited gamers hq and have to say it was a delight! The games they had in stock were amazing and they had a lot of games in English which helped me although I suppose I should be buying more games in german in order to practice. The guy behind the counter was extremely helpful and nice. I would very much recommend this store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Engelhardt
Germany
flag msg tools
Happy Easter!
badge
Now go eat some chocolate!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just came back from Berlin and visited both Gamers HQ and Morgenwelt. Both shops have great assortment of goods. My personal impression (and I could be wrong) was that Gamers HQ focuses more on Cosims and Tabletops (especially Warmachine), and offers a great location to play them. It has a rack full of territory-models like different, cool-looking houses gamers can use. The prices were a bit hefty, however.

Morgenwelt seemed to have better prices, and also a collection more after my personal taste. If I remember correctly, they were offering Warhammer 40k minis instead of Warmachine like Gamers HQ. It also had more books and comics.

One more thing: During my visit of Gamers HQ, there was a beta-test of some interesting looking skifi(isch) card game in progress. If one of the designers reads this, please tell me when it's finisched
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McPhee
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I went back to them and spent another small fortune in games, despite having to be very careful about the luggage weight for when I fly home. They are excellent and I have somehow managed to come away with good copies of Nuclear War, and its second expansion, AND American Megafauna and it's expansion (at a good price), and also indulged myself in a Victory Points game and also Struggle for the Galactic Empire. So I guess I'm going to be busy.

Again, the fellow behind the counter was very nice despite my mangling of german. He was very patient with me and allowed me to attempt to say what I wanted to in German which I appreciate as a lot of Berliners take it as a great chance to practise their english, which is good for them I suppose but doesn't help my german much. Not that I speak English anyway, given I'm from Glasgow, lol.

Given I've maxed out my weight allowance for baggage and my bank manager will be crying at my profligacy I am reluctant to check out Morgenwelt, but might just pop by out of interest, but leaving the wallet at home! Or maybe just take a few euros... lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, looks like I can call gamer's HQ now and collect my acquiring new customers fees from them... ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McPhee
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having made the executive decision I was going to use Deutschepost and DHL to transport my games back to Scotland I was able to reset my 'weight allowance' back to ZERO! Yippee, and so made the trip to see Morgenwelt. It has a different feel to it than Gamershq. I personally liked both shops and found the staff in both to be very pleasant and talkative.

I was unable to locate any Victory Point Games stuff in Morgenwelt, and had meant to ask at the desk, but my partner was itching to leave, having little interest in boardgames compared to me and therefore I didn't get the chance. They had a great selection of boardgames all the same and to be honest I could not find any reason to prefer one over the other in terms of prices, atmosphere and the staff. I felt that Morgenwelt had a LOT in terms of RPGs and novels, but still a good selection of Brettspiele, whereas Gamershq more focused on miniatures, but again had a good boardgame selection.

In short- both were fantastic. What I am most impressed with though is that the market for boardgames in Berlin must be able to support all these boardgame shops! I cannot imagine that in the UK for any similar sized city!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls