Christopher Rao
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Q:When I say "lawyer" what pops into your head? A:Someone who designs games about penguins." - Dormammu
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Glory to Rome fans!

As Ed, Heiko, Jeremiah, Amber and I try to get our head around fulfilling the massive Black Box Kickstarter project, we've got to sort out just where in the world all the games are going. Thinking about it that way has actually been a lot of fun, and given us some surprising information as well. And being a geography geek, I thought I'd share it.

The numbers below are just estimates, done in my head, but they ought to be pretty close:

Our Kickstarter supporters in 45 countries have purchased 1886 copies of Glory to Rome Black Box.

India and China have well over 2 billion people between them, and each has a burgeoning middle class. All this added up to 1 black box game (from China). BUT four much smaller nations/city-states with significant Chinese populations (Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia and Taiwan) ordered 115 BB games!

Africa ordered exactly 1 game (from South Africa).

South America ordered 13 games (11 from Brazil and 2 from Argentina).

Indonesia, with 237 million people, ordered no games. But Brunei, just next door, with just 400,000 people, ordered one.

What country has the biggest concentration of Black Box supporters? Sure the US sold the most games, but if you divide by our hefty population, that's still just 3.7 games per million people (close to the ratio of 3.3/million for Canada and Sweden and the 3.2 for Finland). Here are the countries that actually sold more copies per million people than the US:
d10-5Denmark - 4.4 copies per million
d10-4Australia - 4.7 copies per million
d10-3New Zealand - 5.0 copies per million
d10-2Iceland - 6.1 copies per million (ok, so it's only 2 copies, but only about 329,000 people live in that geothermal paradise)
d10-1Singapore - 7.8 copies per million(!)
So it may be that the world's biggest Glory to Rome fans are in Singapore - or maybe they just love Heiko.

It's also worth noting that although English is one of the (four) official languages in Singapore, it is not an official language in either Iceland or Denmark. This means that there are two countries in the world who don't even speak English as a first language that bought more per capita copies than the U.S.!

Below please find my unofficial tallies (for my own amusement, and possibly yours) of how many we are shipping to each country:

US - ~1135 (309m) - 3.7/m

Canada - ~113 (34m) - 3.3/m
Australia - ~103 (22m) - 4.7/m

UK - ~94 (62m) - 1.5/m
Germany - ~48 (82m) - .6/m
Singapore - ~39 (5m) - 7.8/m
Malaysia - ~35 (28m) - 1.3/m
Sweden - ~30 (9m) - 3.3/m

Unknown - ~26 (still waiting to find out where these folks live).
Denmark - ~22 (5 m) - 4.4/m
Taiwan - ~22 (23m) - 1.0 /m
New Zealand - ~20 (4m) 5.0/m

France - 19 (65m) - .3/m
Hong Kong - ~19 (7 m) 2.7/m
Netherlands - ~18 (17 m) - 1.1/m
Belgium - ~18 (11m) - 1.6/m
Japan - ~18 (127m) (.14/m)
Finland - ~16 (5m) (3.2/m)
Norway - ~13 (5m) (2.6/m)
Brazil - ~11 (195m) (.06/m)

Switzerland - ~8 (8m)
Spain - ~7 (45m)
Poland - ~6 (38m)
South Korea - ~5 (49m)
Thailand - ~4 (68m)
Russia (140m), Italy (60m), Greece (11m), Romania (21m) - ~4 each
Mexico (111m) - ~3
Czech (10m), Austria (8m) - ~3 each

Argentina (41m), Philippines (94m), Turkey (76m)- ~ 2
Latvia (2 m - 1/m) , Ireland (5m), Iceland (329,000 - 6.1/m)- ~ 2 each
South Africa (51m), Israel (7m), Columbia (46m), China (1035m), Brunei (407,000) - ~1 each
Serbia (7m), Portugal (11m), Malta (410,000), Hungary (10m), Croatia (4m) - ~1 each

By region:
North America - ~1251 to ~3 countries
Europe - ~322 to ~24 countries
Asia/Africa/South America/Oceania - ~287 to ~18 countries.
Unknown - ~26 (again, still waiting for these addresses)
===========
Total of about 1886 games to ~45 countries.

Once again, please consider these approximations. All the math is done in my head, and none of it was double-checked (well, except for the Iceland sales - didn't want to get that one wrong).

Still, it's kinda cool to think that we have such a world-wide presence.

(tl;dr: Singapore rocks! And so do Iceland, New Zealand, Australia and Denmark!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmb
Hmmm... if we can quickly allow Quebec & Alberta to secede, I'll bet we can boost Canada's boxes/million right up to the top!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Rao
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Q:When I say "lawyer" what pops into your head? A:Someone who designs games about penguins." - Dormammu
mbmbmbmbmb
swheelock wrote:
Hmmm... if we can quickly allow Quebec & Alberta to secede, I'll bet we can boost Canada's boxes/million right up to the top!
Seems easy enough. What about Nunavik too? Oh, prolly not enough people in that nation to make a dent (but they were first....).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason K
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
topherr wrote:
(tl;dr: Singapore rocks!

Does this mean we get extra goodies?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmb
topherr wrote:
What about Nunavik too?

Nunavut?

That'd be pretty neat if there were pre-orders in any of the territories. I had a hard enough time finding a gaming group in rural NB; I'd hate to have to look for one in Yellowknife (probably more chance of one there, though, really; bigger population).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
topherr wrote:
What country has the biggest concentration of Black Box supporters? Sure the US sold the most games, but if you divide by our hefty population, that's still just 3.7 games per million people

Rome demands to know which State has the most GtR supporters (per-capita or aggregate).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Rao
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
taiwanite wrote:
topherr wrote:

Sorry, nothing else extra.
But you do get to live in Singapore, and play GTR a lot. Despite what the press says about this little city-state, it has close to zero crime, fantastic food even at 3am in the outdoor eateries, a great bird park and zoo, and even more great food at the plentiful restaurants down by the beach. It's a lovely city, so long as you don't mind going to Johor Bahru to fill up your tank!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Rao
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
swheelock wrote:
topherr wrote:
What about Nunavik too?

Nunavut?

That'd be pretty neat if there were pre-orders in any of the territories. I had a hard enough time finding a gaming group in rural NB; I'd hate to have to look for one in Yellowknife (probably more chance of one there, though, really; bigger population).
Never been to Yellowknife, but I once had a great hummus sandwich in Whitehorse, Yukon. Of all the things I was expecting to find in the Yukon, great hummus was certainly not one of them laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you will find high rates of English literacy in Iceland, Denmark, and Singapore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Rao
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
I think you will find high rates of English literacy in Iceland, Denmark, and Singapore.
Absolutely. My point was that while English is an official language in Singapore, it is not in either Iceland or Denmark. Just means that they are each well-educated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
topherr wrote:
Barticus88 wrote:
Absolutely. My point was that while English is an official language in Singapore, it is not in either Iceland or Denmark. Just means that they are each well-educated.

English isn't the official language of the USA... it follows that we are well-educated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
mbmbmbmbmb
So not being English literate equals not being well-educated?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipe Cunha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
topherr wrote:

Unknown - ~26 (still waiting to find out where these folks live).

Cthulhu loves playing GtR as much as Claustrophobia: De Profundis!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Rao
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slinkydink wrote:
So not being English literate equals not being well-educated?
No, not quite what I said. I was just trying to pay a compliment. I think it's way cool that so many northern Europeans are so well versed in English when many Americans barely know what the different countries are - much less know anything about the languages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Rao
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthnice wrote:
topherr wrote:
Barticus88 wrote:
English isn't the official language of the USA... it follows that we are well-educated.
It is the de facto national language, if not quite the de jure one. Americans still have many of the top universities in the world (thanks in no small part to the exodus from Europe both before and after WWII), but too many Americans know far too little about other countries and cultures throughout the world - not to mention languages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin O'Brien
Australia
Fitzgibbon (Brisbane)
QLD
flag msg tools
...but don't tell anyone!
badge
The Secret Bread Empire Über Alles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Go, Commonwealth, go!

I bet the largest order (number of copies of the game) came from Australia...

But I imagine the largest contributor was whoever pledged at the LEADER level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
topherr wrote:
... but too many Americans know far too little about other countries and cultures throughout the world - not to mention languages.

Other whatnow?

Excitedly waiting for my copy of pretty GtR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mb
taiwanite wrote:
topherr wrote:

First, nice math Always love me some statistic.
Second, it's good to know there's at least 22 people in our small island that play GtR. I'm working on writing something in the community forum to spread the GtR love.
Third, I hope by been the closet to Shanghai (or second to Japan), we will be getting the game the fastest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing the world-wide distribution numbers!

It is very interesting and underscores just how small a niche excellent games are amongst the flood of mass market stuff (monopoly etc).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Rao
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eunoia wrote:
taiwanite wrote:
topherr wrote:

First, nice math Always love me some statistic.
Second, it's good to know there's at least 22 people in our small island that play GtR. I'm working on writing something in the community forum to spread the GtR love.
Third, I hope by been the closet to Shanghai (or second to Japan), we will be getting the game the fastest!
We'll do our best! (But I've never shipped stuffed from the PRC before).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
topherr wrote:
d10-2Iceland - 6.1 copies per million (ok, so it's only 2 copies, but only about 329,000 people live in that geothermal paradise)

Geothermal paradise? Yes.
Gaming paradise? Nooo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chen
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hooray for all GTR Black Box fans in Singapore (and all around the world, as well)! Out of curiosity, I wonder if a significant proportion of those who ordered the Black Box edition from a particular country might actually be expats living and working overseas?

To Christopher: Thanks for compiling these interesting estimates and for the kind compliments made towards my home country. You sound like someone who knows this Little Red Dot on the world map fairly well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Rao
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cmarkboy wrote:
Hooray for all GTR Black Box fans in Singapore (and all around the world, as well)! Out of curiosity, I wonder if a significant proportion of those who ordered the Black Box edition from a particular country might actually be expats living and working overseas?

To Christopher: Thanks for compiling these interesting estimates and for the kind compliments made towards my home country. You sound like someone who knows this Little Red Dot on the world map fairly well!
Well, I spent part of a summer working at a law firm in Singapore many moons ago. Lived in an apt on top of a shopping center, which seemed about right...
(And yes, I know it's illegal to get gas from Malaysia. The inner troll in me just had to say it....)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Chircop
Malta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Malta - 1 copy...

That means that yours truly will be the sole owner of Glory to Rome Black Box Edition ON THE ISLAND!! At least the kick-starter first printing..

Oh Yeah!!!

I get Facebook AND BGG bragging rights! That's Right!

Heck, I think I will be the sole owner of a copy of Glory to Rome In general... Sometimes I feel like im the only board gamer over here... If any of you guys are ever down here in the Mediterranean enjoying the lovely sun and beaches please do pop a geek mail..

I'd doubt anyone would want to stay inside and play board games though.. Not with our weather...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Chircop
Malta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay Malta, Singapore and Poland... We all have the same flag flipped around a little..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.