Popular Tags: [View All]
J. @kinson
United States
Grant
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just letting the word out that a place called "The Foundry" is opening tomorrow (Sept 30th). It's a local game store which Huntsville never really had that I'm aware of (Bookmark almost counts but is closed). I talked to the owner briefly, and they mainly have miniature war game stuff like WarHammer right now, but he is expecting a big shipment of board games to come in soon. He seemed like a nice guy who is passionate about games. They have lots of room for tabletop games.

They are having a 20% off sale for their grand opening this weekend starting Friday. If I understood him correctly, you can probably order through them with the sale price through them this weekend as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got an address?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. @kinson
United States
Grant
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Foundry is located at 7914 Memorial Pkwy SW, Ste A3, near the
Discount Tobacco Outlet south of Byrd Springs Rd.

It's in a little shopping center on the right as you head south on Memorial Parkway, and it's past Rosie's Mexican Cantina.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Blankenship
United States
Owens Cross Roads
AL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
That's a moray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Does The Deep not count?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. @kinson
United States
Grant
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snoweel wrote:
Does The Deep not count?

Well, if you're a Magic player or CCG, I guess so. Board gamers are looked at askance from what I've noticed everytime I've been there. So, I get a more "Friendly" response from The Foundry than I do at the Deep. They've also advertise themselves more as a comic book store than a game store even with all the tables in there for CCG play.

Maybe, I'm just too old for them. If I looked like a college or high-school kid, maybe I'd get a different response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elijah Webb
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
I would highly recommend checking out The Deep again if you haven't in a month or so. They've more than doubled their board game selection. Now instead of a single shelf, they have the vast majority of one of their back walls devoted exclusively to them. I remember seeing Ikusa, Betrayal at House on the Hill, A Game of Thrones 2nd edtn., Battle of Westeros, Catan and its expansions, Ninja: Legend of the Scorpion Clan, Dust, and Castle Ravenloft, just to name a few.

They've also added a ton more collected volumes of graphic novels, if that interests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Grenon
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hey thanks! That's good to know. It's been over a year since I've been to the Deep so I didn't realize they actually have a selection of board games. I'll be sure to check 'em out. I've been to the Foundry. It's a nice shop. I picked up Power Grid there not too long ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristin Crane
Canada
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a bit disappointed to hear Bookmark is gone. Moved away from HSV about four years ago and will be back for a few weeks this summer. That store was on my list of places to check out.

Now that it has been open for a while, how is the board game selection at The Foundry? I usually hit The Deep for comics, so I will also be going there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Spears
United States
Athens
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
jgatkinsn wrote:
snoweel wrote:
Does The Deep not count?

Well, if you're a Magic player or CCG, I guess so. Board gamers are looked at askance from what I've noticed everytime I've been there. So, I get a more "Friendly" response from The Foundry than I do at the Deep. They've also advertise themselves more as a comic book store than a game store even with all the tables in there for CCG play.

Maybe, I'm just too old for them. If I looked like a college or high-school kid, maybe I'd get a different response.
If you go on Mon, Tue, or Thur, it's not so bad.
- New comic maniacs on Wed.
- All the kids are getting away from their parents Fri-Sun

The Deep is turning a little more war/boardgame friendly with what they stock. They've expanded their 40K selection to better compete with the Foundry and Hobby Town USA. The back wall is now stocked with a pretty good selection of board games, the real downside there is they're priced 100-110% MSRP.

They're not really supporting any games other than the CCGs with in-store play (normally some type of CCG tournament on Saturdays). Every once in a while you can find a 40K game going.

I had heard the Foundry was basically a Games Workshop supporter. Is there a short list of what all they carry? South Parkway is a lonng stretch from Athens

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls