Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff and I have opened up discussions about doing some mock math trades so that people can learn how to do it and get some real experience without risking anything. I'll admit that doing your first MT can be a bit confusing so this is a good way to get some practice.

Jeff asked about removing them from the OLWLG or using the same GL over and over. I'm feeling that removing them would be easiest. It will make it simple because I won't have to get people to submit from past entries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be interested in a mock math trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
All glory to the Hypnotoad!
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the potential of MTs but they honestly scare the shit out of me. I'd appreciate the chance to learn at no risk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I don't "need the practice", I'd be happy to participate in a mock MT to help others learn how they work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Boyle
United States
Indiana
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to learn the MT magic. I ready those other stickies but they just baffle me. If your looking for subjects Ill ask to be a member.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bakker
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also don't need the practice, but would be willing to enter a bunch of games to help others learn how everything works.

-If you do end up doing this, make sure someone enters an entry with multiple copies:

%
copies: 4
%

-Also, it would be nice to enter in the same game a dozen or so times to show how duplicate protection works

-Finally, stress the importance of an accurate GL entry. I try to note box condition, game condition, what edition the game is, and then my shipping, i.e.:

Box Condition: Like New (shrink off), no shelf wear
Game Condition: Like New (unpunched, but manual read through
GMT Games, 2nd edtion, 2008
Shipping: Free to the USA (all states), first $10 anywhere else

Many people argue over the condition of games, I use:
New - shrink on, no wear
Like New - shrink off, unpunched, no wear
Very Good - opened, punched, played 1-3 times, minimal shelf wear
Good - shelf wear, possible minor wear on cards or bits
Average/Poor - Holes in things, missing components, heavy wear, etc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
Good feedback, Dimaradona. Those are all great points. I'll make sure that if we start doing these, this will happen. Dupe protection is one of the most common things people mess up early in their MT career.

I'd like to get the help of some MT veterans to help out the noobs. Consider this an official call for volunteers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Mazouat
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll help out. The more people learning to do MTs, the better chance that I'll get great stuff in return!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Coscio
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll help out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you guys! When I do this, I'll likely put a list of experienced users in the header so that the newbies can geekmail us for advice/instructions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gilberg
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dimaradona wrote:

New - shrink on, no wear

While I'll use a general description term, I'll also try to describe the details of the description as well. It seems more accurate and makes it clear I'm not trying to hide anything.

It wasn't in a math trade, but I've gotten a game with some notable box crushing that was, in the description, defined as "great." When I complained, I was told that the condition it was in meant, to him, great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davex wrote:
I'll help out.

Ditto over here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is getting good response which is making me quite happy. All we need is some input from JeffyJeff as it's really the OLWLG we need to use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bakker
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gilby wrote:
Dimaradona wrote:

New - shrink on, no wear

While I'll use a general description term, I'll also try to describe the details of the description as well. It seems more accurate and makes it clear I'm not trying to hide anything.

It wasn't in a math trade, but I've gotten a game with some notable box crushing that was, in the description, defined as "great." When I complained, I was told that the condition it was in meant, to him, great.

Correct - you should always be as specific as possible, I was trying to note a good starting point. I just don't like it when people list their game, and say 'good condition, free shipping' - I never add those to my want list due to experience.

I once received a game stated to be 'new', because the user bought it from a store and hadn't played it yet. It had holes in the box, the entire thing was crushed (I couldn't put a phone on it without it collapsing), and there was a sticker on it marked 75% off. The trader said it was 'new' to him and refused to take it back or compensate me. Thus I gave him negative feedback, and he gave me neutral just because I questioned his game condition rating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Tuttle
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This would be a good thing to be done on a quarterly or semi-annual basis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking quarterly at minimum. I'd love to do it monthly just to get people integrated into the system quicker. It's so easy to moderate a trade that it wouldn't be much work for me. I'm just worried about utilizing JeffyJeff's app/server too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexis Perez
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh I would love to try this. I so far have enjoyed trading and would like to take part in a math trade. Count me in for the next test run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For anyone interested in this, please subscribe to this thread so that you can get alerted if/when this starts. I'd also recommend subscribing to the MT announcement thread as I'll likely post it in there as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Adamson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Is there a writeup that explains exactly what a math trade is and how it works?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
All glory to the Hypnotoad!
mbmbmbmbmb
timonkey wrote:
Is there a writeup that explains exactly what a math trade is and how it works?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/93555/math-trade-guide
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/287152/math-trades-for-d...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuckhazard
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I'm FREEeeee..ee..e..e...
mbmbmbmbmb
sirgalin wrote:
davex wrote:
I'll help out.
Ditto over here.

Another ditto. I'm rather new to MTs but I've got a handful under my belt. Not that I need to waste any more time checking boxes, but my wife will be ecstatic. Scratches that MT itch, without having to spend any money on shipping!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
May I suggest you limit the "mock trade" to 200 items or so? This gives enough to let folks see the tools in action without overwhelming them in choices as they submit wants. Also, a bit fewer want lists to coordinate. I am assuming you might be posting a post-trade debrief to explain the results and let the new traders ask questions about what happened and why as part of the learning experience.

I don't know if 200 is the right number, but figured 8 pages in a geeklist is sufficient to get going while keeping the other aspects (eg debrief) within reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like it to get to around 500 because I want to have multiple postings of the same game. Like 10 Dominions, 10 carcs, and 10 Settlers just so people can play with dupe protection. That's a real "gotcha" to new MTers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If we've got some veteran traders in there (I think the term is "ringer" ), we can make sure that some duplicates get posted, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
btw, I've been guiding a co-worker through a couple recent Math Trades, and he'd be happy to see this happen, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |