Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rachel Vacek
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are looking for a great board game and comic store on the northwest side of Houston, check out 8th Dimension Comics & Games, online at http://www.8thdimensioncomics.com/. They are located on Highway 6 near 290. My friend Sean captured a little video of the store for you to check out, too.

The man working during my visit was extremely friendly, knowledgeable, and offered some great recommendations on games after learning a little bit about the kinds of games I like to play. He even did a special order since they didn't have one of the games I was looking for.

It's a fairly new store, clean, well-lit, and even has a bathroom! Behind the storefront is a game room with tables and a small game library, but they apparently have all kinds of gaming events, and not just with miniatures or Magic the Gathering. They may not carry as many games as Nan's, but it's still a great store for the west side of town. Overall, I was impressed, and plan on making many more visits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is the gentleman with the BroStache invited to this party?
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha! I just made a post asking for a good store in Houston. Are any stores worth going to anymore in the Houston area?

That looks like a cool store, but too far for me to drive to on a regular basis from down in Sugar Land. I may get up there to check it out, but it just looks like a cleaner, more modern version of the selection at Nan's. Which means the prices are all MSRP and can be easily beat by an online seller.

Though the fact that they have a game room and do more than just Magic and miniatures is enticing. Thanks for the tip!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerry Harrison
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
badge
Meep. Meep. Meep.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, it's very nice game and comic store with a friendly staff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sirkerry wrote:
Yep, it's very nice game and comic store with a friendly staff.

THERE is what really sets it apart from Nan's. A friendly staff and a clean store. The gaming space is just gravy after that. There is NEVER a reason to shop at Nan's unless you absolutely have to have a specific game in hand, price is no object, and you can find a copy of it on your own. I don't know how Nan's continues to stay in business (or Third Planet for that matter). Are they really making that much money from comic book sales?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Watkins
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only been to Nan's twice and really don't feel like going back after being in 8th Dimension. I was lucky if I got the staff to look at me at Nan's. As said above 8th Dimension can do orders if you are looking for a particular game. In addition they'll but your name on a list and call you when they get a game in you happen to be looking for (delivery's every Thursday).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Vitek
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brick and Mortar stores will never beat Online stores in price. There is just no way to do it.

If an online store buys a $50 game for $25, they can afford to sell it for $30 online. Their overhead is no where near what a B&M store is.

If a Brick & Mortar store buys a $50 game for $25, they will need to sell it for $40-$50 dollars. $40 would be about break even due to the cost of the storefront, employees there for customers, etc. They can't make up for it in volume like an online store.

So, when looking at B&M stores, you have to consider convenience, i.e. instant satisfaction and Value-Added (recommendations, playing area, accessories).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Vacek
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know what you mean. I still do most of my game shopping at Amazon or CoolStuffInc or Funagain Games. However, if there were slight discounts offered, or a rewards program, or annual sales, I wouldn't mind paying a little more to support the brick and mortar stores like 8th Dimension. I know that they had a 20% off everything at 8th Dimension the day after Thanksgiving, but they just didn't have any of of the boardgames I wanted and weren't willing to special order them with that discount.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Miller
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is why I think having an in-store play area is a must-have for B&M's. It gets them the impulse buys and builds loyalty -- i.e. you can pay less but then have fewer people to play with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls