Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
908 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [37] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG News

Subject: Now the BIGGEST BGG Secret Santa EVER! Registration closes November 11th - join the party!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's that time of year again! Secret Santa 2011 sign up is now open!

BGG 2011 Secret Santa Sign Up!

What is Secret Santa?

For those who don't know, every year we run a MASSIVE gift exchange here in the BGG Community. Last year we had over 1700 people participate, and this year's will likely be even bigger!

All you do is sign up using the link at the bottom of this post. After Registration closes on November 11th, we secretly assign everyone a gift-giving target. This means that you will be the Secret Santa for another BGG user, and you will also get a gift from a mystery Santa yourself!

Take a look at all the fun that was had last year in the BGG 2010 Secret Santa geeklist.

GeekExchange

Want to run your own special Secret Santa? The program we use to run the official BGG Secret Santa is available for anyone else to use to make your own Gift Exchanges. See http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/GeekExchange for details! (That wiki page is a bit rough - please feel free to help spruce it up - your efforts will be rewarded!)

Official 2011 BGG Secret Santa Rules:

To particpate in the Secret Santa you must agree to the following rules:

1.) First and foremost, Secret Santa is all about the giving. Every BGG member is welcome to join, but please do not join Secret Santa unless you are prepared to send your eventual target a gift. Getting is fun too, but be prepared for the possibility that the person who is sending you a gift may disappoint you. Most people do a good job, but there are always going to be a handful of unfortunate situations that come up.

Those who sign-up but don't send gifts and don't respond to follow-up emails will face the possibility of account privileges being suspended as a result, but honestly I'd prefer we not need to get to that point. If you sign up for Secret Santa treat it as a responsibility and make it a priority.

2.) You have until Midnight (CST, GMT-6), Friday November 11th to sign up. If you have second thoughts, you also have until that deadline to delete your registration. Once the deadline passes, each person involved will be randomly assigned to another participant. When you get your target, check the BGG profile of this person and choose a game (or more) off of that person's wishlist and send it in time for it to arrive by the end of 2011.

3.) You must update your wishlist (NOT want list) of games. Please have at least twenty currently available games on your list, and try to have most of them fall within a reasonable price range. If you have a small, expensive, or difficult-to-fulfill wishlist then don't be surprised if you don't get something you want. The more you have on your list the easier it is for your Secret Santa to find something for you.

4.) This is an international Secret Santa. Everyone from all countries is welcome to join. Realize that you very well may be given a target from a foreign country, so be prepared to factor shipping into your gift. Alternatively, you have the option to pick which countries you are willing to ship to. However I strongly encourage you not to limit yourself as shipping a gift to someone in another country can be a very rewarding experience. While it may add extra costs, the other person will greatly appreciate it - particularly if you can send something that is hard to get where they are from!

Also, if you are from a country that has only a few participants then I also strongly suggest you not limit your country options or you very well may end up with the only other person who entered from your country. The distinctly international flavor of the BGG Secret Santa is one of the best aspects of it, in my opinion.

We will provide a list of online stores from around the world to help people who get international targets.

5.) You should buy at least one game for the person who you are giving a gift to. We do not set a minimum cost for the games you give, but you should expect to spend at least $50 USD on the gift (combined cost of game(s) + shipping). This is roughly what it would cost to buy and ship a new copy of Ticket to Ride or Dominion from your FLGS. There is no problem, of course, with going above and beyond - sending two, three, or even more games. The generous Santas are the best remembered! And you can make it truly special if you can personalize the gift somehow. Examples and ideas can be found in last year's geeklist: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/59662. Some really nice stuff has been given out!

6.) Most importantly, have fun! This is supposed to be an enriching activity - not a stressful one. We had over 1700 people participate last year and it was the best Secret Santa yet. I want to see us break the 2000 participant mark this year!

Click the link below and join ONLY if you agree with the above rules:.

BGG 2011 Secret Santa Sign Up!

When signing up, please note that the Give Only box should ONLY be checked if you do not want to receive a gift. People who click the Give Only box are extremely generous members of the site who fill in to save the day when something goes wrong. We had a number of such people last year who did an AMAZING job stepping in to salvage what would have otherwise been frustrating situations. If you were one of those saintly geeks last year, A MILLION THANK YOUS to you! And if you choose to sign up as a Give Only participant this year, A MILLION THANK YOUS to you too!

Finally, we want this event to focus on the fun so please refrain from bringing up any complaints (at least in this thread). Geekmail me with any such issues instead. I'm happy to address any and all concerns you might have.

If you are an online store and are interested in getting involved, please contact Chad Krizan at Chad@boardgamegeek.com. This thread is for questions and excitement about the official BGG 2011 Secret Santa gift exchange.

So what are you waiting for? Hurry up and join! To 2000 Secret Santas, and beyond!

Happy Holidays!

-MMM
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 2011 Secret Santa Registration is now OPEN! Be part of the magic!
Here we go!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
In.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Always
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Bensmiller
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Afraid Yet?
mbmbmbmb
4th Year In Baby! Let's start this going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Klein
Germany
Würselen
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
www.spiel-des-jahres.com
badge
www.spielerleben.de
mbmbmbmbmb
In! +1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Van Horn
United States
Othello
Washington
flag msg tools
I admit it, I killed her, I killed Yvette. I hated her so much
badge
Flames...flames on the side of my face...breathing...breathle...heaving breathes
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not even halloween yet...

See Gregg Easterbrooks Unified Theory of Creep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm In!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendall Merriman
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Woooooo Hoooooo! Time to start!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
GuidoVanHorn wrote:

You want to organize a 2000 person gift exchange and have sign-ups done and matches sent out with enough time for everyone to potentially ship internationally and still have gifts arrive before the end of the year? You start in October. Same as we did last year. And the year before that. And the year before that.

Also, Gregg Easterbrook is a hack!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mousey
Netherlands
Je suis Paris
flag msg tools
ESSEN The Game: SPIEL '13 Featuring Jonah
badge
RIP Jonah Lomu 1975-2015
mbmbmbmbmb
Best time of the year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Van Horn
United States
Othello
Washington
flag msg tools
I admit it, I killed her, I killed Yvette. I hated her so much
badge
Flames...flames on the side of my face...breathing...breathle...heaving breathes
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
GuidoVanHorn wrote:

You want to organize a 2000 person gift exchange and have sign-ups done and matches sent out with enough time for everyone to potentially ship internationally and still have gifts arrive before the end of the year? You start in October. Same as we did last year. And the year before that. And the year before that.

Also, Gregg Easterbrook is a hack!

I fully understand why, and this is a totally awesome thing to do...if only I was in a better financial situation I'd sign up in a heartbeat.

and don't go dissing on Mr. Easterbrook...or we might have to have words. TMQ is what drags me away from here for 2 hours every tuesday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Vandenbroeck
Belgium
Sint-Truiden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It took me 1 nanosecond to decide
I'M IN!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Loscutoff
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
I'd rather lose to a good move, Than win to a bad one...
badge
the abstract manifest.
mbmbmbmbmb
and Happy Hog Father's Day to all too!
whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
In for year 3!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fehr
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Hi there! Follow my gaming exploits on Twitter (fehrmeister)
mbmbmbmbmb
I've really enjoyed the last several years of this, and I'm definitely in for this year too. Thanks for running it Octavian!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Brewer
United States
Monticello
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sh'bang!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Check out Weaponsgrade Tabletop on Youtube!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay, second year for me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Heaton
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Come back Bale...
badge
In 'Poch we trust!
mbmbmbmb
WTF, I just took down my Easter decorations...???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HFP
United States
South San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Queiroz
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's be part of it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric E
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WooHoo! With my family having just left after having a Canadian Thanksgiving meal at my house and my belly happily full of turkey, I see the Secret Santa is on! I love this time of year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How exciting!

Last year was very fun. Can not wait to do it again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Lees
Canada
Courtenay
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
laugh I'm in! This looks like fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ho ho ho! Happy gamedays!

I'm in!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [37] |