Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
908 Posts
[1]  Prev «  31 , 32 , 33 , 34 , 35  Next »  [37] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG News

Subject: Now the BIGGEST BGG Secret Santa EVER! Registration closes November 11th - join the party!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 2011 Secret Santa Registration closes in TWO WEEKS! **1601** participants already!!!
Tennberg wrote:
I have some items on my wishlist that I may get at some point but currently have marked with a "5 - Don't buy this".

Is it best to remove these before Secret Santa closes so that my SS doesn't purchase these by mistake? As this is my first BGG SS, I don't know if people tend to just blindly pick an item from someone's wishlist or if they actually pay attention to the status of each item on that list and really put a lot of thought into their gift.

I'd assume if your Santa doesn't read threads/wishlists/profiles on bgg, then you're in for a bit of rough time anyway.

There's probably a lot of slightly confused people out there. I haven't had things go off without a hitch the two years I've done this.

It's still fun, so don't worry!

Half the stuff on my don't buy list is there because it's oop and expensive. I kinda hope my santa can't read!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Fawcett
United Kingdom
Northwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
badge
There's just one kind of favor I'll ask for you - you can see that my grave is kept clean
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 2011 Secret Santa Registration closes in TWO WEEKS! **1601** participants already!!!
scifiantihero wrote:
Tennberg wrote:
I have some items on my wishlist that I may get at some point but currently have marked with a "5 - Don't buy this".

Is it best to remove these before Secret Santa closes so that my SS doesn't purchase these by mistake? As this is my first BGG SS, I don't know if people tend to just blindly pick an item from someone's wishlist or if they actually pay attention to the status of each item on that list and really put a lot of thought into their gift.

I'd assume if your Santa doesn't read threads/wishlists/profiles on bgg, then you're in for a bit of rough time anyway.

There's probably a lot of slightly confused people out there. I haven't had things go off without a hitch the two years I've done this.

Half the stuff on my don't buy list is there because it's oop and expensive. I kinda hope my santa can't read!

I had hitches for the first couple of years - this is my sixth Secret Santa. In the first year my Santa forgot, or didn't bother, (or possibly might have ended up on a container ship that sank!) and in the end I was bailed out by one of the extremely generous people who are happy to give extra gifts. In year 2 my Santa shipped overland from America to Europe and it took forever. I was very grateful when things turned up, but it was some time after Christmas. The most recent three have been completely problem free, exciting and enjoyable. I think the majority of people's experiences are like this. So don't panic, of the 2000 or so people who will take part the vast majority are going to enter into the proper spirit. However, you should make sure your wishlist is up-to-date. I basically go through and ask whether I would be disappointed opening a present to reveal each game (a kind of visualisation). If I think I will be disappointed I knock it off the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Messina
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
badge
“Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.”
mbmbmbmbmb
Get Earthworm wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:
Tennberg wrote:

I had hitches for the first couple of years - this is my sixth Secret Santa. In the first year my Santa forgot, or didn't bother, (or possibly might have ended up on a container ship that sank!) and in the end I was bailed out by one of the extremely generous people who are happy to give extra gifts. In year 2 my Santa shipped overland from America to Europe and it took forever. I was very grateful when things turned up, but it was some time after Christmas. The most recent three have been completely problem free, exciting and enjoyable. I think the majority of people's experiences are like this. So don't panic, of the 2000 or so people who will take part the vast majority are going to enter into the proper spirit. However, you should make sure your wishlist is up-to-date. I basically go through and ask whether I would be disappointed opening a present to reveal each game (a kind of visualisation). If I think I will be disappointed I knock it off the list.

this is my 1st year giving and appreciate the feedback, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Ho-Moon
South Korea
flag msg tools
mb
Hi. Everyone!!!.

My name is Ho-Moon Lee, Just call me Nick.

This is my first Secret Santa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christiaan Meijer
Netherlands
Amstelveen
Other (Non U.S.)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yakidanik wrote:
Hi. Everyone!!!.

My name is Ho-Moon Lee, Just call me Nick.

This is my first Secret Santa.

Hi Nick! Welcome to this AA meeting I mean Secret Santa! I bet you will enjoy it as much as many of us have for many years!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caitlyn Paget
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tennberg wrote:

It's my first Secret Santa too, and I have some of these on my list.

To make it clear, I've written a short note for each of these games, explaining why it's on my list but that I don't want to buy it.
Mostly, I just the "5 - Don't buy this" tag for games that I want to buy as gifts for someone else, so I need to jot them down but I don't personally want them.

Just explain your reasons, and I'm sure it'll be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Roy
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
27 World Series titles and counting!
badge
And 28 is coming soon!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tennberg wrote:

To be certain, maybe put a comment, say something like "Secret Santa should NOT buy this" or that it's reserved for another exchange, or wishlist altogether.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Roy
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
And 28 is coming soon!
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, we're up to 1660!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Joist
Germany
Burghausen
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My second Secret Santa. I hope it will be the same fun as last year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in! This will be fun!! I missed last year!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Leeds
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Excited for my first BGG Secret Santa!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In again! Always a fun time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to drop a special welcome to all the people participating for their first time! Thanks for joining us! You'll be glad you did!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding all the questions/comments about what to put on your wishlist: another good practice is to write a letter to Santa on your profile page. I always let my Santa know that used games are fine with me, and that what I really care about is the spirit of the event and of the season. To me this just personalizes it a bit more. Also, when I see a letter to me (i.e. to Santa) from my target it lets me know they are excited as well, and motivates me even more.

One more potential nice touch: try to find out if your target has small children and if they play games as well. It is easy to include a small kids game that is just for them, and makes the target's family buy-in easier.

P.S. we should hit the 1700 mark today!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quelf elf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LennyS wrote:
Regarding all the questions/comments about what to put on your wishlist: another good practice is to write a letter to Santa on your profile page. I always let my Santa know that used games are fine with me, and that what I really care about is the spirit of the event and of the season. To me this just personalizes it a bit more. Also, when I see a letter to me (i.e. to Santa) from my target it lets me know they are excited as well, and motivates me even more.

One more potential nice touch: try to find out if your target has small children and if they play games as well. It is easy to include a small kids game that is just for them, and makes the target's family buy-in easier.

There are two good lists with Secret Santa tips:
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/60961/top-tips-for-tauntin...
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/47425/tips-to-make-yoursel...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
And another that most people should read:
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/73279/secret-santa-shippin...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Roth
Germany
Wistedt
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, decisions, decisions....

My very first Secret Santa experience two years ago was great, especially sending overseas. Last year, I decided to remain in my country and I had the possibility to deliver the gifts in person (which was also very cool).

This year, I finally might have a bit more money at hand to buy presents, but I can't decide if I should stay within my country borders and make a bigger purchase for a possible recipient, or go worldwide but this way limiting the amount of gifts due to additional postal fees....

Time to dust off my dice collection and make some decision throws.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Schell
Canada
Unspecified
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
WTH i am in,

I am in a gift giving mood this year
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Roy
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
And 28 is coming soon!
mbmbmbmbmb
LennyS wrote:

Yup, 1693 right now, that's awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
Luds wrote:
LennyS wrote:

Yup, 1693 right now, that's awesome!

Gah! 1697! Quick - go find three people hanging around Chit Chat...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz Burton
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been reading through last year's "Look What My Secret Santa Got Me" Geeklist, and there are some extremely generous geeks out there! wow Lots of people got really cools gifts!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
manutd03 wrote:
I've been reading through last year's "Look What My Secret Santa Got Me" Geeklist, and there are some extremely generous geeks out there! wow Lots of people got really cools gifts!!!
On the other hand it's important to emphasise that there's no need to go to the extremes some have, you give as you can afford. It's not some sort of competition to see who has the most free cash, nor should we all build up unrealistic expectations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz Burton
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
manutd03 wrote:
On the other hand it's important to emphasise that there's no need to go to the extremes some have, you give as you can afford. It's not some sort of competition to see who has the most free cash, nor should we all build up unrealistic expectations.

Good point! I got 'only' 1 game last year, and it was great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Anderson
United States
Cleveland - West Side
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
New gamer with only three games in the closet! Excited to be part of Secret Santa!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Gray
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephanie920 wrote:
New gamer with only three games in the closet! Excited to be part of Secret Santa!
Welcome to the Secret Santa, I hope I get you as a target! It is like a blank slate!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  31 , 32 , 33 , 34 , 35  Next »  [37] |