Dominion: Hinterlands» Forums » News

Subject: Previews #1 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Essen is just a week away, so I am here to preview some cards, as promised. I will preview two cards a day, with short posts and exciting images. I planned this without considering that there would be a weekend in the middle; I will have cards Saturday but not Sunday. You will have to find something else to read on Sunday. Now, cards!

The main theme of Hinterlands is cards that do things when you gain or buy them. The distinction will come up; the main thing to remember is that when you buy a card, you then gain it. You buy it first. Just imagine that the card has to be delivered, and everyone thinks you're a deadbeat. You pay up front.

So what can a card do when you gain it? Some things are not so appropriate for that particular window of time, but many things are. One of the basic things is, gain another card. Border Village is an example of that; it comes with something else. Something cheaper, so lowering the cost won't let you just pick up the pile. Village isn't worth $6, but paying an extra $1 when you buy a $5 to get a Village with it is often attractive.

Once in your deck, Border Village is a $3 value, but has a $6 in the corner. It's a great card to trade in for something better, via Remodel or Apprentice or, hey, Trader.

Trader turns something into a pile of Silvers. A Copper or Curse just goes away, but an Estate gets you two Silvers, and a Border Village gets you six. Silver itself can be exchanged for three Silvers; this Trader is a shrewd bargainer.

Trader also lets you respond to gaining a card, giving you a Silver instead. So you can take a Silver instead of that Curse a Witch was going to give you (leaving the Curse on the pile, unlike how Watchtower works), or even just use an extra buy on a Copper but take a Silver instead. It doesn't matter how many Traders you reveal how many times, you still just get one Silver instead of the original card.

Isn't that interesting! And to think, two more cards tomorrow.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Rafferty
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A $6 village! What'll they think of next? I can't wait to Smuggle a Border Village over, the, uh, border.

And then gain a City with my Village.

Even though we're only two cards in, there are already synergies within the set. Very cool.

Also, is that a donkey icon I see?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Colburn
United Kingdom
Glasgow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also: as fascinating as the new mechanics are (and they ARE fascinating) I love the artwork. Absolutely beautiful. Plus, I'm pleased to see that these cards are solidly thematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc
Germany
Pliezhausen
Baden-Wuerttemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
how many villages does Dominion need? It gets a bit redundant... snore

...but I am curious about the other cards in the set anyway whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Anderson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks Donald. Lovely artwork. Looking forward to seeing the other goodies.thumbsup

Do we have a release date yet [Euro zone and US]? The reason I ask is because the 3rd Annual 'Scumguys Dominion Weekend Away' takes place on the 4th Nov and it would be great to have Hinterlands to take with us.

Regards,

HH

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elektro wrote:

The large expansions are designed so that they can be played standalone (with only basic cards added). So each set has its own share of Villages.

Quote:
...but I am curious about the other cards in the set anyway whistle

I hope you aren't disappointed. There are some fun cards coming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gf1024 wrote:
Also, question time: Trader: when you gain something where it's specified to go somewhere other than your discard (e.g. Sea Hag) do you still put it there, so, gaining a Silver on top of your deck in this case?

The Silver you gain from the Trader Reaction goes into your discard pile by default, regardless of where the other card would have gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
mb.

That is all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Z
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Now playable on isotropic! Sorry, guy who didn't want that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Waterman
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Border Village is amusing - going to do some strange things to gold lovers' strategies!

I love the *idea* of Trader (and that's saying a lot, as she's going to mess with my nom-de-plume, Mountebank, badly). At first, I thought it was a bit messy, but now I get it, Jeff: If I have two Traders in my hand and someone plays, say, the Witch on me, I change the curse into a Silver. After that, I can change that Silver into another Silver all day long if I want, but the end result is I gain one Silver and the others stay on the Silver supply pile.

Montebanc (no relation, but see my post on the Race to Adventure Forum!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Waterman
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand why Trader would change the location of a card from the top of the deck or my hand to the discard pile. GAining is gaining, right? Why does it break the rule of the card it's affecting to "default" to the discard pile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
montebanc wrote:
I don't understand why Trader would change the location of a card from the top of the deck or my hand to the discard pile. GAining is gaining, right? Why does it break the rule of the card it's affecting to "default" to the discard pile?

When you gain a card, it goes to your discard pile unless otherwise specified. Trader says, "gain a Silver." So, it goes to your discard pile! That is how it works. Trader replaces "thing that would have happened" with "gain a Silver;" it doesn't replace "what you would have gained" with "Silver." Similarly, the Silver you gain comes from the Supply, even if the card you were going to gain would not have (such as a Copper that Thief was going to get for you).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave F.
Netherlands
Schelluinen
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hoping this will be translated to Dutch, unlike Cornucopia which still doesn't have a Dutch version of it and it's unsure if there will ever be one...

Edit: It seems like it will be. The Dutch reseller is 999 games and they have a listing for Hinterlands here: http://www.999games.nl/spel/dominion%3a+het+achterland
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pere
Spain
La Nucia
Alicante
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trader is huge in gardens decks! Any extra buy gets you a silver instead of a copper, and you can trash high-cost cards for an amusing amount of silvers.
The perfect complement to gardens+ironworks (or workshops) and gardens+bridges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave F.
Netherlands
Schelluinen
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
senseless wrote:
Trader is huge in gardens decks! Any extra buy gets you a silver instead of a copper, and you can trash high-cost cards for an amusing amount of silvers.
The perfect complement to gardens+ironworks (or workshops) and gardens+bridges.

Well, with a quick Gardens strategy you rarely have high-cost cards, so this isn't a problem.

It may become a Math problem whether to trash a Garden for 4 Silvers at some point to bring you over another 10-point.

Besides, the opportunity cost of buying this card may too high for typical Gardens rushes. Every turn should probably be focused on buying either a gainer (WS/IW), Gardens itself or an Estate.

On the other hand: Border Village + Conspirator anyone? Or even BV + Council Room, Smithy, Torturer, etc...

I think the correct way to look at this card is as Donald describes it. Instead of: Buy a Village, gain something extra, it's more like: Buy a good $5 with $6 (of which there are lots) and get a free Village! Extremely powerful for your typical drawing strategies and especially Torturer games can become insane and frustrating pretty fast. If you have a +Buy and $8, you could normally only buy a Torturer and a Village, but now you could buy a BV+Torturer and an extra Hamlet!

A funky Bridge combo is also possible. Lower the cost of this card to $1 with 5 Bridges (don't get it to $0 otherwise the premise no longer holds) and gain 12 cards instead of 6 with 6 buys. This would be funny with some Goons in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My jaw dropped a bit when I saw Border Village. It's a massive change to the strategy space, much like City was. Very, very cool. Trader is quite fun too, though maybe not as much of a total game-changer It's probably a pretty good single-card Big Money opener, maybe on a par with Smithy, even? I'll have to try it out. Thanks for the previews, Donald! I'm looking forward to the rest.

(...oof, I've just imagined the possibility of Border Village/Torturer!)

Elektro wrote:

For those who like to play uniformly random Kingdoms, Dominion needs Villages to remain a roughly equal proportion of the total number of Kingdom cards regardless of the number of expansions. +2actions cards should be available on a high proportion of boards, because engines are the spice of life!

That aside, if you find this particular Village redundant and boring I don't know what to tell you. I think it's the most exciting one to date.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Smith
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
spongyform wrote:

Yay, now I can't play on isotropic til my Dominion, which I preordered a month ago comes in. I guess I'm in the minority here though, so fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Oakley
United Kingdom
Selby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These cards both look very intersting. First thought was:

Trader/Silver -> Farming Silvers and buying nothing but green and an extra Trader or two could be VERY strong in non-Colony games.

However I know how well play-tested Dominion is, so I expect this not to be the case. I still expect it to be strong, but not as strong as I first thought. Off I go to Isotropic to find out for myself =D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Rankin
United States
Roswell
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great, now I have to get up every morning at 2am.snore
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NtN Scissors
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't wait to gain Silvers as Tournament prizes, after the Diadem has been snapped up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Latto
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm amused that Border Village is a worthwhile card, that I think will often get bought, but if it had the exact same text, but cost 2, it would be nearly worthless in most setups.

"No-one buys this; let's make it more expensive" isn't the usual solution to that problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
England
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Azorius Senate
mbmbmbmbmb
Trader seems to have the potential to cause an empty Silver pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would just like to say I love this idea of an expansion rollout with card reveals better than the Isotropic reveal a month early for the last expansion. Keep doing this! This is how you create buzz.

I preordered my copy this morning.

P.S. Love the artwork too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
England
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Azorius Senate
mbmbmbmbmb
NtNScissors wrote:
Can't wait to gain Silvers as Tournament prizes, after the Diadem has been snapped up.

At that stage of the game, you'll want the Duchy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spongyform wrote:

Geez, man. I'm fine with having the cards on isotropic early, but I though you'd at least wait until the entire expansion was revealed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.