Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt Boehland wrote:
I'd be up for something on Saturday the 26th (I *think* I hasve off work, just need to double check). I'd be free until about 6pm.

Okay let me know. I recently traded for Operation: Maccabee, very ameri-trashy. laugh

Anyone else free on the 26th?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be up for Operation: Maccabee, but I'm not sure yet if I'll be around on the 26th. There's a good chance I will be available. I'll let you know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Boehland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am available on the 26th, from around Noon-6pm.

Unbeliveably, as someone who reads BGG every day, and checks multiple online stores every day to see what new has come out... I've never head of Operation Maccabee... But it looks good for a laugh

In not-Ameritrash news, on Monday I'll get my first Italiatrash (?) game:Lupin the 3rd

I was hoping to pick up Super Dungeon Explore, but FFGEC didn't have it. Maybe next week ^^.

Played Star Trek Fleet Captains a few weeks ago; seems fun 2 player; the theme helps it a lot (yes, a backhanded compliment I suppose, but it was fun)

Played Space Empires 4x today for the first time: Pretty fun even if fiddly; with all the secret information, its easy to make a mistake with rules, maintenance costs, income, etc that noone will catch for many turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should be able to make it by noon or 12:30pm on the 26th.

With Operation: Maccabee everyone has to realize there's not much (or no) strategy. It's all about the dreidels knocking down German soldiers. The map movement and terrain provides a little strategy I guess.

Hmmm, Itali-trash....never heard of it but love it!

I've played one game of Space Empires 4X and really enjoyed it. The upgrade phase can be a little long and I can see where people can easily make mistakes during it. I like how quickly the other turns move along though. I would like to try again. I'm wondering how well the solo rules would work with multiple players against the game?

I'm still working on painting my Dungeon expansion miniatures, doubt I will have them finished by Sat.

Hopefully you can make it too Shaun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Monson
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just found this group, I know some of you guys, hope I can get in some games sometime. Looking forward to Twilight Struggle with Matt tomorrow night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
plem45 wrote:
Just found this group, I know some of you guys, hope I can get in some games sometime. Looking forward to Twilight Struggle with Matt tomorrow night.

Hey Ken! It's been awhile, it would be good to meet up with you again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
plem45 wrote:

I love Twilight Struggle. Have you had a chance to play Labyrinth yet? I picked it up last week and find it very enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Perrella
United States
Anoka
Minnesota
flag msg tools
with a purposeful grimace
badge
and a terrible sound
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently picked up Labyrinth and I've owned Twilight Struggle for a while. Haven't played either, I'd LOVE the opportunity to learn them.

If you're interested in a light game with a Cold War theme, check out 1955. Got a demo game at BGGCON this week and I ended up picking up a copy.

Anyone play High Frontier? I have a copy (with the expansion), just learned it yesterday. It is on the verge of becoming my new favourite game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Boehland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For Cold War fun, there's always the card game Nuclear War..

For another 'something different' gamne, I played D-Day Dice: Free Trial Version
solitaire enough times to beat the 2 maps and liked it enough to Kickstarter the 'full version' of it:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1325766284/d-day-dice-bo...

Jeff: I'd be happy to show you Twilight Struggle sometime. Today is my first full game of it actually, so you don't have to worry about it being an unfair fight ^^ (but I have read the rules, played a partial game once, and 'played along' through the detailed example of play, so I feel pretty good with the rules)

Lately my usual available time is Tuesdays (but not this week) and Saturdays from Noon-6pm.

I plan on getting Labyrinth at some poiint after Christmas.

I never played High Frontier, but it looks neat. I'd be happy to try it out sometime ^^.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt Boehland wrote:
For Cold War fun, there's always the card game Nuclear War..

For another 'something different' gamne, I played D-Day Dice: Free Trial Version
solitaire enough times to beat the 2 maps and liked it enough to Kickstarter the 'full version' of it:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1325766284/d-day-dice-bo...

Jeff: I'd be happy to show you Twilight Struggle sometime. Today is my first full game of it actually, so you don't have to worry about it being an unfair fight ^^ (but I have read the rules, played a partial game once, and 'played along' through the detailed example of play, so I feel pretty good with the rules)

Lately my usual available time is Tuesdays (but not this week) and Saturdays from Noon-6pm.

I plan on getting Labyrinth at some poiint after Christmas.

I never played High Frontier, but it looks neat. I'd be happy to try it out sometime ^^.

I have a decent looking copy of D-Dice but haven't gotten around to playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt & Shaun (and of course anyone else who can make it on Saturday the 26th. I'm planning to bring Operation: Maccabee and Nexus Ops.

Matt - You have several games that I'd like to try or play again, they are:

Dungeoneer, Frag, Merchant of Venus, Doom, Arena of Death and Cave Troll.

I also see you have Silent Death. I have a few of the boxed sets (metal express, the next millennium and night brood), it would be fun to get that out sometime.

Shaun - Of course I'd still like to give Chaostle a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I may have to bring my parents to the airport at 3am on Saturday, so I might be out. I'll know for sure in the next couple of days
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Boehland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pekin2121 wrote:
Matt & Shaun (and of course anyone else who can make it on Saturday the 26th. I'm planning to bring Operation: Maccabee and Nexus Ops.

Matt - You have several games that I'd like to try or play again, they are:

Dungeoneer, Frag, Merchant of Venus, Doom, Arena of Death and Cave Troll.

I also see you have Silent Death. I have a few of the boxed sets (metal express, the next millennium and night brood), it would be fun to get that out sometime.

My list was outdated when you looked at it; I did sell off about half of those games over the last few years, but bought many other games that I had not added to the list (see edit below).

I still have Frag, Merchant of Venus, and Doom at my house, and Silent Death at a friend's house off the ones you listed.

Got Lupin the 3rd today, but have not played it, so no opinion yet.

And thanks to Jeff's recommendation and me reading about it more in-depth on BGG, I did order High Frontier.. And the vaguely Dominant-Species-like-looking Bios: Megafauna as long as I was placing an order with Sierra Madre games.. No idea when that shipment will arrive though.

Edit: I updated my list to remove most of the games I no longer have (there's a few I don't remember if I have in storage or not), and added a bunch (but not all) of the games I got recently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Monson
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great game of Twilight Struggle with Matt, I was Soviet and 1pt away from Win on turn 3, then Matt ground me down and finally won on turn 9.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Perrella
United States
Anoka
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
and a terrible sound
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt Boehland wrote:

And thanks to Jeff's recommendation and me reading about it more in-depth on BGG, I did order High Frontier..

I would HIGHLY recommend the expansion for High Frontier, even for a first time player. The person who taught us (Darilian, he wrote a good review, btw) insisted on teaching the full game, it was a wise decision.

I really can't say enough about High Frontier, it is absolutely amazing. The core mechanics are surprisingly simple, but there is a bit of a learning curve in figuring out what to do on any given turn. I love thematic games, especially when the theme integrates so perfectly with the mechanics. This is one of those games where "winning" isn't that important. It is filled with little victories that are immensely gratifying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Boehland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
big_ragu wrote:

I would HIGHLY recommend the expansion for High Frontier, even for a first time player.

Yep, I ordered that along with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Perrella
United States
Anoka
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
and a terrible sound
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt Boehland wrote:
big_ragu wrote:

I would HIGHLY recommend the expansion for High Frontier, even for a first time player.

Yep, I ordered that along with it.

Cool. I wouldn't even bother playing the basic game, it just gets in the way. I'm FAR from expert, but it would be a lot easier to learn the game with someone who's played it. I never would have figured it out by muddling through on my own.

I'm pretty busy until after the holidays, but I'd love to meet up with you and the other TCAT peeps starting in January. I'm at Village Games in Anoka (I live in Anoka) just about every Tuesday, but I'll start coming to FFGEC or The Source occasionally when I know some of y'all will be there.

My "must play" list right now (all games I own, btw)-
1. High Frontier (played once)
2. Twilight Stuggle (haven't played, need a teacher)
3. Labyrinth (haven't played, need a teacher)
4. War of the Ring (haven't played, need a teacher)
5. Star Trek Fleet Captains (played enough that I can teach it)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
High Frontier...yet another game I need to try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pekin2121 wrote:
High Frontier...yet another game I need to try.

Me too! I've got the reprint preordered with the expansion.
Looks like a fantastic game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
High Frontier, is it a quick easy to learn type of game? Or how would you describe it?

My "must play" list right now:

1. Labyrinth (played several times--but no joke the rules take a few times to get used to--but I love this game.)
2. Twilight Stuggle (classic, that's all I'll say)
3. Death Angel (Space Hulk Card Game)
4. Twilight Imperium (love love this game, but never have the hours to commit to it with other people)
5. Core Worlds (don't have it yet; will get it in the mail sometime in December. It's a space deck building game.

I have actually been playing a lot of Eldar Signs: Omens on my Ipod lately, it's fun, and convenient when I am taking care of my daughter and need something to do. Also picked up Forbidden Island for my Ipad as well, but have not played the game yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
plem45 wrote:
Great game of Twilight Struggle with Matt, I was Soviet and 1pt away from Win on turn 3, then Matt ground me down and finally won on turn 9.

Hey Ken, how has your experiences with the Secret Santa gone with BGG? I almost joined up for that but decided not to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Perrella
United States
Anoka
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
and a terrible sound
mbmbmbmbmb
patton55 wrote:
High Frontier, is it a quick easy to learn type of game? Or how would you describe it?

Not remotely. It requires a commitment to learn it. Read some reviews and decide if you're in love with the theme. If you are anything less than "totally in love with the theme" it's best to move on to another game.

Having said that, it is not a difficult game once you understand it.

I also got Elder Signs on my ipad. However, I am utterly addicted to Ascension. Can't wait for the expansion!

I saw Core Worlds at BGGCON. Didn't get a chance to play it, but it looked like a solid game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Monson
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing but great experiences, in the several times I participated
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
big_ragu wrote:
patton55 wrote:

Not remotely. It requires a commitment to learn it. Read some reviews and decide if you're in love with the theme. If you are anything less than "totally in love with the theme" it's best to move on to another game.

I also got Elder Signs on my ipad. However, I am utterly addicted to Ascension. Can't wait for the expansion!

I saw Core Worlds at BGGCON. Didn't get a chance to play it, but it looked like a solid game.

Yeah, I love Ascension. I would have never bought it hard copy, but when it was just a few dollars for the Ipad, I got it, and it's a great game. I also got Neroshima Hex for Ipad/Ipod, and that's a lot of fun.

You went to BGG CON? How was it? Worth going to?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
patton55 wrote:
big_ragu wrote:
patton55 wrote:

Yeah, I love Ascension. I would have never bought it hard copy, but when it was just a few dollars for the Ipad, I got it, and it's a great game. I also got Neroshima Hex for Ipad/Ipod, and that's a lot of fun.

You went to BGG CON? How was it? Worth going to?

I went to BGG Con last year and really enjoyed it. Being able to go to the game library and check out basically any game you could imagine was fantastic! Plus having most if not all the new Essen games there was great. Alot of extra events like the Battling Tops tourney, Tichu Tourney, team Trivia contest, poker tourney and Flea Market added a lot of fun to the few days I was there.

I wish it was closer, just too expensive for the registration fee and traveling cost. From what I've heard about GenCon, I would much rather go to BGG Con.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [262] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.