Dominion: Hinterlands» Forums » News

Subject: Previews #3 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer

Mandarin puts all of your played treasures back on your deck when you gain it. It's pretty cute when those treasures are five Coppers, such as on turn one with a 5/2 opening. You buy Mandarin, put the Coppers on your deck, draw your new hand... of five Coppers. Enough for a Mandarin! Just how many Mandarins did you want, anyway? It all depends, but I am betting, not all of them.

The when-gain ability is also cute when you want a Province but don't have $8. Play just a Gold and a Silver, keeping any superfluous Copper in hand; buy a Mandarin, see if you do better next turn. And there are tricks it can do with special treasures.

When you play Mandarin, you get +$3 and put a card from your hand on your deck - the money version of Courtyard. It costs a lot more than Courtyard and well there's a lesson there for all of us.

The first time you play Crossroads in a turn, it's like a Cellar that only works on victory cards, plus you get those extra actions. The second time, you still get to draw cards for the victory cards you didn't have to discard the first time. I imagine Crossroads looks crazy to some of you and well it's no fun if all the cards just look semi-okay.

Crossroads and Fool's Gold both do something different the first time you play them in a turn, but that's not a sub-theme, there are just those two.

Previews will return on Monday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armin Penner
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
I like the new cards. Thanks for the teasers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mandarin seems underpriced for all you can do

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Zhou
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mandarin: I imagine the discussion about the card art is going to be interesting. No idea how the card will play, I'll have to see it in action.

Crossroads: Looks like we finally get that one-shot super-Village so many fan sets have tried to introduce! Combos well with Nobles, obviously. Probably Vineyards too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Natalie Jackson
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I'm sorry, but, crossroads seems BROKEN.

Also, playing with Border Village and Mandarin, get up to $6, buy Border Village, gain Mandarin, next turn, buy Border Village, gain Mandarin... Yes, gain lots of Mandarins, but, also gain TONS of +actions... Seems great for any good Gardens/Vineyard type card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armin Penner
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
ycz6 wrote:
Mandarin: I imagine the discussion about the card art is going to be interesting. No idea how the card will play, I'll have to see it in action.

I never understood why the cards don't have the artwork looking similar. Sometimes it seems that just any picture that was available was taken and if they look completely with different style then so what. dunno.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newton
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, my avatar is a scan of a hand-drawn caricature by cartoonist Jim Naylor which was done at my company's 20th anniversary dinner.
mbmbmbmbmb
Reura wrote:
I'm sorry, but, crossroads seems BROKEN.

Firstly, define "broken".

Secondly, explain why you think it is broken (then lots of people will tell you why you're wrong).

Thirdly, Dominion is so thoroughly play-tested that I don't believe any card is fundamentally broken (although a few nitpickingly minor gaps in the FAQs have been found).

Fourthly...
DonaldX wrote:
I imagine Crossroads looks crazy to some of you and well it's no fun if all the cards just look semi-okay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene van der Pijll
Netherlands
Leidschendam
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PLAYLIFE wrote:
I never understood why the cards don't have the artwork looking similar.

I think it's wonderful that there's a variety of styles on Dominion cards, just like on the early Magic cards.

I'll have to see the Mandarin card for real, but I think it looks great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bell
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:

The first time you play Crossroads in a turn, it's like a Cellar that only works on victory cards, plus you get those extra actions. The second time, you still get to draw cards for the victory cards you didn't have to discard the first time. I imagine Crossroads looks crazy to some of you and well it's no fun if all the cards just look semi-okay.

Bolding mine. Crossroads doesn't seem to mention anything about discarding. Am I missing something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pere
Spain
La Nucia
Alicante
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crossroads: Another good card for Gardens (or Dukes). At first seems a bit undercosted, but the difference between $2 and $3 is minimal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene van der Pijll
Netherlands
Leidschendam
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chipacabra wrote:
donaldx wrote:

Bolding mine. Crossroads doesn't seem to mention anything about discarding. Am I missing something?

No, Donald is comparing the Crossroads to the Cellar. If it was a Cellar, you would have to discard the victory cards to get them replaced, but with the Crossroads you don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Chamberlain
United States
Tracy
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chipacabra wrote:
donaldx wrote:

What he is saying is that because you didn't have to discard them the first time, the next crossroads you play lets you draw more cards off the same victory cards. I.e., he is explaining how it differs from cellar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm guessing that's why you only get extra Actions the first time: so you can't just easily chain your whole deck into your hand by revealing the same 4 victory cards (plus whatever others you pick up on the way) with a few of these.

Mind you, you could still potentially do a LOT of drawing this way. If you had 4 of these around, you could sure draw a whole mess of cards...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Oakley
United Kingdom
Selby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trashing your starting estates just got a whole lot less attractive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
One use for Mandarin I would really like to pull off at some point: having the same Treasure card generate coin multiple times in one turn.

"Horn of Plenty, gain Mandarin, stack Horn of Plenty. Venture, Horn of Plenty, gain Mandarin, stack Venture and Horn of Plenty. Venture, Venture, Horn of Plenty, gain Mandarin, stack 2 Ventures and Horn of Plenty. Venture, Venture, Venture, Horn of Plenty..."

This is not efficient at all and would definitely not be worth setting up. It still sounds really cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pere
Spain
La Nucia
Alicante
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
One use for Mandarin I would really like to pull off at some point: having the same Treasure card generate coin multiple times in one turn.

"Horn of Plenty, gain Border Village, gain Mandarin, stack Horn of Plenty. Venture, Horn of Plenty, gain Border Village, gain Mandarin, stack Venture and Horn of Plenty. Venture, Venture, Horn of Plenty, gain Border Village, gain Mandarin, stack 2 Ventures and Horn of Plenty. Venture, Venture, Venture, Horn of Plenty..."

This is not efficient at all and would definitely not be worth setting up. It still sounds really cool.

FTFY
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Chen
msg tools
My eyes widened. Mandarin is such a wacky card! Put played treasure back on deck? Can't wait to play it with Black Market.

Crossroad looks... strong. Fool's Gold is also strong. Under certain situation anyway.

Now it does seem we are going to have a very quality expansion. Donald, just how many more tricks can you pull out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These are some big time cards we have been seeing so far - not nearly as subtle as Cornucopia. I'm really liking the theme of this set. I think this expansion will be high on the "favorite Dominion" list when all is said and done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
England
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Azorius Senate
mbmbmbmbmb
+ 3 Actions surprise
nah, crossroads isn't broken, I have a feeling +3 actions is only slightly better than +2 actions, seems strong in a 5/2 opening, but you are only going to be buying one or two since it gets a lot worse if you get two in the same turn (kind of the opposite of fools gold).

Mandarin is certainly interesting, don't have much to say other than I want to play it. A courtyard that gives 3 coins instead of 2 cards and has a nifty when gain effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Bogdan
msg tools
Played a few Isotropics this morning, and hafta say Hinterlands is insane so far!!!!

Rounds everything well without being overpowered and breaking

As for Mandarin and Crossroads, so much fun! Played in a tournament game that had both and those three cards became the deciding factor.

Crossroads is an amazing buy for those super heavy Victory decks, and those 3 actions accelerates like nothing else (for one of the games it was council room, the other was one of the +3 card's we all love).

And Mandarin allows for that last action card to make it until the next round, or guarantee that a reaction will get another use.

Dominion does it again with GREAT expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would not call Crossroads broken by any stretch of the imagination... but it has the potential to create some insane turns with the right setup. Wanna draw 6+ cards with no strings attached in a Nobles deck, using a $2 card? Want the world's best endgame de-clogger for double-Tactician engines? I'm really looking forward to playing around with that card.

Am I making another mistake like last thread, or is Mandarin the first card that creates the possibility of playing the same copy of the same card more than once in a turn? (using either Black Market or the Horn of Plenty/Venture combo mentioned earlier)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Westlake
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Question:

When purchasing Mandarin, how can I determin which treasures I have in play?

Example, I have Silver, Silver, Gold, Copper in my hand, more than a few ways to purchase a Mandarin.(I know this adds up to 8 and I could purchase a province) Am I able to play all of this treasure, and OVER-PAY for the Mandarin so that I can put all 8 treasure back on my deck?

If not, can I at least play silver, silver, gold in that order to purchase Mandarin? THis would let me at least funnel 7 back to my draw deck. Is there any invisible hand that forces me to pay exact change for a card when I am able? (silver and gold only)

Just need some defining of the constraints. Thanks guys! hope this makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Dwestlake84 wrote:
Question:

When purchasing Mandarin, how can I determin which treasures I have in play?

Example, I have Silver, Silver, Gold, Copper in my hand, more than a few ways to purchase a Mandarin.(I know this adds up to 8 and I could purchase a province) Am I able to play all of this treasure, and OVER-PAY for the Mandarin so that I can put all 8 treasure back on my deck?

If not, can I at least play silver, silver, gold in that order to purchase Mandarin? THis would let me at least funnel 7 back to my draw deck. Is there any invisible hand that forces me to pay exact change for a card when I am able? (silver and gold only)

Just need some defining of the constraints. Thanks guys! hope this makes sense.

I'm pretty sure you can overpay if you want. You put out whatever Treasures you want to put out (and the timing really only matters for things that have immediate effects, like Loan), then Buy stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
It does mean that if you have multiple Buys, you want to be careful Mandarin your first purchase, since it will clear away all the Treasure you've put out. Something to keep in mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jlerpy wrote:
It does mean that if you have multiple Buys, you want to be careful Mandarin your first purchase, since it will clear away all the Treasure you've put out. Something to keep in mind.

Just because Treasure cards are removed from play doesn't mean the coins they generated disappear. You can still use them to buy other cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.