Popular Tags: vikings [+] luna [+] [View All]
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was recently in Denver for a quick business trip, and I had a few hours to burn. So I looked up a few game stores to check out.

My first stop was Mythplaced Treasures (11078 W Jewell Ave B-4 Lakewood, CO 80232). Its kind of tricky to find, and I really just got lucky. It's on the back side of Safeway (I think). It's a small store, but seems well kept. They had a small but decent (in terms of quality) selection of board games. Nothing caught my eye, but if I visit again, it'd definitely be worth a stop by.

My second stop was Valhallas (6161 W. 44th Ave. Wheatridge, CO 80033). It's definitely been there awhile, and a bunch of the games are literally collecting dust. The guy at the desk was pretty friendly, and I think there were some computers in the back for gaming. Most of the titles were a bit dated in terms of Euros (i.e. 2009, not 1999). It seems like a good stop for the right type of gamer, but not me.

My final stop was Black & Read (7821 Wadsworth Blvd. Arvada, CO 80003). It was not at all what I was expecting. It primarily caters to new and used books, and new and used music. And it's a mess! Like, it could be on an episode of Hoarders the way things were stacked around. I first stumbled on a few games randomly spread throughout the books, and I almost left at that point. Just before I turned around, however, I spotted a few games in the very back back corner. I wandered back there, and...BAM! Those few games turned into potentially the largest collection of games for sale that I've seen in a FLGS! Now, maybe that was a consequence of them all being stacked in one place, but I was impressed. As I looked through all of the games, I spotted a few games that I know are pretty hard to find: Vikings and Luna being the major ones I saw. I was sooooo close to picking up Vikings, but I decided to leave it for one of you guys instead. I've bought A LOT of games lately so I just couldn't pull the trigger. I already have Luna, but I know that's recently OOP (and from what I've read, won't be re-printed). There was probably a bunch more OOPs, but I don't keep up on everything. There were a bunch of used games too, including a personal childhood favorite, Clue Master Detective. Be prepared, however, it's an epic disaster there. Still, overall I was very impressed with the selection, and I thought I'd post this about Vikings and Luna in case anyone is in the area...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
OH YEAH!

Black and Read. That is my favorite place to stop when in the Denver area. It is ALWAYS a mess like that, but ALWAYS has a huge selection of games. It also has 20% off of MRSP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Syvanis wrote:
OH YEAH!

Black and Read. That is my favorite place to stop when in the Denver area. It is ALWAYS a mess like that, but ALWAYS has a huge selection of games. It also has 20% off of MRSP.

Oh, I did forget the 20%. At first, I thought I just happened to pick up one on sale, but then I realized they were all marked off 20%..

Great place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall LaFleur
United States
Burlington
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like Valhalla's, I hope that some day I can build my store up to that level. So much play space. I found them to be friendly enough also. One of them gave me a tour of the place. I was glad for it because it is a big place and worthy of a tour.

I still have luna stocked at my store. I really would like to play it myself. I might have to consider pulling it to keep for myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls