Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
165 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 

Merchant of Venus» Forums » News

Subject: Statement from Stronghold Games Regarding "Richard Hamblen's Merchant of Venus" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Buonocore
United States
BOYNTON BEACH
FL
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It has come to our attention that Fantasy Flight Games has laid claim to the license for the reprint of "Richard Hamblen's Merchant of Venus".

First and foremost, Stronghold Games bears no ill will towards Fantasy Flight Games over what can only be deemed as an unfortunate situation. In fact, we remain fans of Fantasy Flight's work within the game industry.

However, over 18 months ago, we began negotiations with Mr Hamblen for the license to his game design, Merchant of Venus, finally signing an agreement recently. After much research, Stronghold Games feels very strongly that the license is solely Mr. Hamblen's to offer, and he has selected Stronghold Games for the reprint.

In our opinion, the party that has sold the license to Fantasy Flight Games does not own the rights to this license. Mr Hamblen has also expressed to us his firm belief that the license is his alone to offer.

At this time, we are intent upon defending our and Mr Hamblen's claim to this license, noting once again that we view Fantasy Flight in the highest regard and regret that they have been put into this position.

Kevin Nesbitt and Stephen Buonocore
Managing Directors
Stronghold Games LLC
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Riggan
United States
OKLAHOMA CITY
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Re: Statement from Stronghold Games Regarding Merchant of Venus
I don't envy anyone for having to go through this sort of legal process.
That said, I think if anyone should remake MoV, it's stronghold games! We've seen within the very short times that Stronghold has been part of the hobby gaming community the quality and care that they put into their products, both in components and in truly holding fast to the original IP.
Here's hoping it goes to Stronghold, preferably without this whole thing getting too ugly...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Whitmore
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to just voice my support for your endeavor. I applaud your working with the original author, and hope this works out for you all, including Richard Hamblen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reaper Steve
United States
Melbourne
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for making your position clear. I hope all parties can resolve this situation speedily and amicably.

I don't want to pick sides as I hold both publishers in high regard. I am interested to see which party's position is upheld, and why.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope this works out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler McLaughlin
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
Talk
badge
Words
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck fellas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blacktrainyellowtrain----MOV----------------bluetrainblacktrain
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These can't be coincidence:

A) After over a decade of being out of print, sometime in 2010, Stronghold/Richard Hamblen begin negotiating a reprint to Merchant of Venus.

B) After over a decade of being out of print, sometime in 2010, FFG/Hasbro begin negotiating a reprint to Merchant of Venus.

This is fascinating.

I hope everybody wins.

But I doubt everybody wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck. I hope that Hamblen actually does own the rights. I hope that, if anything, FFG has legal grounds for complaint against Hasbro for negotiating a license which is not theirs to negotiate. I hope that FFG does not, ultimately, publish Merchant of Venus; they simply aren't the right publisher for the game, no matter what else they bring to the hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Schryer
Canada
Oshawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Venus: Rockets to Riches

Good luck Stronghold, you make awesome games and I really hope this works out as you and the designer intend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
Wow you hovered. I'm honored.
badge
My Dog Has Fleas
mbmbmbmbmb
Uh oh Hope everything works out in an amicable way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
In our opinion, the party that has sold the license to Fantasy Flight Games does not own the rights to this license.
So who is the party who sold the license to FFG?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Paul
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
badge
man lying down on job voluntarily
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
Good luck. I hope that Hamblen actually does own the rights. I hope that, if anything, FFG has legal grounds for complaint against Hasbro for negotiating a license which is not theirs to negotiate. I hope that FFG does not, ultimately, publish Merchant of Venus; they simply aren't the right publisher for the game, no matter what else they bring to the hobby.

And as legal compensation, Hasbro has to give FFG rights to publish HeroScape. Then we all win!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Baptist
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:

Absolutely. And the best part of this scenario is that the only loser would be Hasbro, which is neat-o!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
We will move from victims to survivors and conquer as we go.
mbmb
So the situation on the rights of old Avalon Hill-games is as unclear as people always said, eh?
Very bad for all involved parties and maybe no one really is to blame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if there's something to read into the subject line using the title: "Richard Hamblen's Merchant of Venus." Could it be an indication that both titles might make it to market, under (slightly) different names? Probably still a confusing trademark issue, and I doubt either company would be thrilled to divide the sales of this title, but anyway... just a thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Baptist
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grudunza wrote:
I wonder if there's something to read into the subject line using the title: "Richard Hamblen's Merchant of Venus." Could it be an indication that both titles might make it to market, under (slightly) different names?

In re-reading that old post from 2008 on Magic Realm, I wonder if Hasbro just dropped the ball here in selling the rights to FFG without doing any research. I'd put my money on that. If that's the case, Hasbro is going to have to have some make-up with FFG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Basil
United States
Clayton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grudunza wrote:
I wonder if there's something to read into the subject line using the title: "Richard Hamblen's Merchant of Venus." Could it be an indication that both titles might make it to market, under (slightly) different names? Probably still a confusing trademark issue, and I doubt either company would be thrilled to divide the sales of this title, but anyway... just a thought.

This would be interesting indeed. I almost hope it happens and that Stronghold does a correct reprint with all 6 players vs 4. I hope then that the Stronghold version sells like hotcakes and shows FFG that they need to stop releasing parts of games. I hate this expansion philosophy, even though I fall prey to it every time..... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Grudunza wrote:

I thought about that too, but it seems like it would be disastrous for both parties. The hobby market isn't that big, and having to defray the costs of two entirely separate development processes (art, molds, printing, etc.) between two products would probably mean no one would do all that well (to say nothing of the confusion in the market).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
Quote:
In our opinion, the party that has sold the license to Fantasy Flight Games does not own the rights to this license.
So who is the party who sold the license to FFG?

In FFGs press release they claimed they got the license from WotC (and by extension Hasbro).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Schacher

Spring
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm just happy to hear that Mr. Hamblen is alive and still active in the gaming industry.

I thought he had dropped out of circulation for awhile.

Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I really wish you luck on this. Though I also greatly enjoy FFG and have a lot of their games, I feel you are the better choice to offer this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Stout
United States
Pasadena
CA - California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You've got my support, primarily by far because of your working with the original designer, which it appears FFG left completely out of the loop. If that is true about FFG, that is inexcusable.

I'm also in favor of you guys because I can trust you to do a faithful reprint, which is not something I can trust FFG with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Baldwin
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Regardless of Avalon Hill going out of business, there has got to be a CONTRACT SOMEWHERE that covers the issue. My guess is that the contract didn't cover this issue in which case the court/lawyers/arbitrators will rule in favor of the length of IP rights given in all other circumstances.

But what do we know, looking from the outside in?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dragonstout wrote:
You've got my support, primarily by far because of your working with the original designer, which it appears FFG left completely out of the loop. If that is true about FFG, that is inexcusable.

I'm also in favor of you guys because I can trust you to do a faithful reprint, which is not something I can trust FFG with.

Inexcusable seems a strong word. They went to the people who they thought owned the rights to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] |