Popular Tags: [View All]
Frederik Wunderlich
Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

Just made reservations vor next year, so i just wanted to ask if any geeks are also staying in the ibis hotel in essen?
I'm going with a pal and possibly my Girlfriend, and i'd like to meet international geeks, for chatting, dining and gaming,from wednesday night until sunday morning.

It's a bit early, but beeing from germany we like organization in advance^^

languages spoken: Dutch, English, German

Games preferred: Ameritrash, Tabletop (with miniatures), Dungeoncrawlers, Heavy Euros, Cardgames

regards Frederik
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Cook
United Kingdom
Burton on Trent
Staffs
flag msg tools
badge
I'd agree with everything you were saying, if only you were right...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Frederik,

I don't stay at the Ibis personally, but I know from experience you'll have no problem at all finding gamers there. The dining area is opened all night especially for gamers to try out their new loot. In fact, a number of gamers who are staying at other hotels near the centre of Essen walk to the Ibis each evening to play games with fellow geeks and this is what I did last year (this year I stayed a little more out of town and will probably do the same thing next year).

You'll be fine..

Cheers

Neil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederik Wunderlich
Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds really great

thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan X
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
Hotel Ibis is really nice and the gaming possibilities in the evenings are very good and lots of other gamers are there. I have thought about staying there, but I have chosen another hotel in another part of Essen. Partly because the other one is cheaper but mostly because Ibis Hotel is rather near the central Ruhr-railways, and I believe that could disturb when I try to sleep. What do you say, who have been staying there? Are there disturbing noises from the railways? This might of course be rather different depending on what side your window is, I suppose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Leech
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our window was on the side of the hotel where the railway was and at night with the window shut I didn't hear any trains. I guess it would have been a problem if it had been so hot that we wanted to leave the window open but that may not be so likely in October.

I liked the Ibis and would definitely stay there again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Weiniger
Germany
Nuremberg
Frankonia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Frederik,

you might consider joining us at the Essen Warmup Day http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/716644/essen-2012-warm-u...
on Wednesday. I am confident you will find enough people here to play with for the rest of the show too.

cheers Roland

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Frederik!

My wife and I are travelling from New Zealand to our first Essen this year, and we are booked in at the Ibis. We are also keen to meet up with other geeks for some gaming.

Our particular gaming tastes are toward the Euro end of the spectrum, but we'll try anything once!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Marling
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
See you in the Ibis! :) Room booked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Estall
United Kingdom
Bisley
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm booked into the Ibis from Wednesday to Sunday, and looking forward to meeting up with fellow geeks, playing some games, drinking beer and eating sausages!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
A whole bunch of us from London on Board are booked into the Ibis - look forward to meeting you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lloyd
United Kingdom
Camden
London
flag msg tools
badge
This game is bullshit.
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
A whole bunch of us from London on Board are booked into the Ibis - look forward to meeting you!

I think, at last count, there could be as many as 30 of us from LoB going to Essen...

Many, if not all, staying at the Ibis.

And how's this to match 'German efficiency'; two of our party booked their hotel last year while we were in Essen for Spiel '11.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Müller
Germany
Wörrstadt
Rhineland-Palatinate
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be at the Ibis too. Last year (my first year in Essen) I noticed how difficult it was to actually play games at the Messe, so I'm looking forward to the evening gaming sessions this year.

sweetsweetdoughnuts wrote:

And how's this to match 'German efficiency'; two of our party booked their hotel last year while we were in Essen for Spiel '11.
From this point on, they shall be known as honorary Germans!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Smethurst
United Kingdom
Manchester
Cheshire, England
flag msg tools
Could anyone who has stopped at the Ibis comment on the food/rooms please.
I see they do a breakfast buffet for £8.00 on top of room price, but would like to know what you get/quality.
Is it a traditional continental breakfast, or more akin to a full english?

Last time I went to Essen, the Bed and Breakfast was pretty basic at the Guest house I stopped with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eclectic games
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The breakfast is a traditional continental, but the range isn't bad at all (or at least in my opinion - plenty of meat, cheese, pastries, cereals, and so on), and it's certainly possible to get seconds, or even thirds, if you're not in a vast rush to move to the halls. Or indeed, if you want to move in the halls...

The alternative that I know a lot of folk use is the small bakery on the walk between the Ibis and the U-Bahn station - it's cheaper than the breakfast, and almost equally as filling.

HTH.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stijn
Belgium
Antwerpen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I checked on the regular Ibis site, it said the thursday night was already fully booked, so I'm staying at the ETAP/IBIS Budget hotel instead, a bit further away, but still looks to be close to a underground station.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn von Knorring
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
The picture is a swedish cartoon-figure Herman Hedning. English info here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herman_Hedning
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not entirely sure how to get from aibis to the convention (yes, I have checked with Google maps but are still not sure). Maybe some veterans can help out a confused first-timer...:-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Buettemeier
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Esst mehr Käsetoast!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
myth1202 wrote:
I'm not entirely sure how to get from aibis to the convention (yes, I have checked with Google maps but are still not sure). Maybe some veterans can help out a confused first-timer...:-)
Just go a few metres to the main station, there you will find several signs leading you to the subway ("U-Bahn"). Take one that leads to Messe Ost/Gruga Halle (for example line 11: http://www.evag.de/fileadmin/downloads/Linienplaene/EVAG/U-B... )and head for the stairs in driving direction. Voilá, you are standing right before the entrance of the halls.

Alternatively just follow the hords of people. ninja

To give you an impression just watch this video from 00:40 on, the guys there try also to take the sub (which is overcrowded so they take a cab):

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn von Knorring
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
The picture is a swedish cartoon-figure Herman Hedning. English info here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herman_Hedning
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls