Subject: Games Stores in Minneapolis rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Alexander

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey... I'll be in Minneapolis over the weekend? What is the best gamestore?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have some wheels the best store is:

http://www.sourcecomicsandgames.com

Also the FFG Event Center is fairly close to The Source

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_npm.asp?eidm=13

They are not too far from Minneapolis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wilcoxon
United States
Edina
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It really depends what you're looking for.

If you want the largest selection of inventory, then The Source (as Chad mentioned) is best.

If you are looking for places with decent but lesser selection but are better places to hang out and play, I'd recommend either Village Games or Iron Ogre Games. Unfortunately, both are a ways out. Village Games is in Anoka (a ways north of Minneapolis). Iron Ogre is in Inver Grove Heights (a ways south of St Paul).

Other stores include Dreamers (St Louis Park), Monster's Den (Minneapolis), Tower Games (Minneapolis), Universe Games (Minneapolis), etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I'd say if you're only popping in for a quick visit, hit the Source and FFG... they are within a short drive of each other and in a busy shopping district so you can drop off anyone not interested in games.

ARMORED Ogre, and Tower are good for minis players...

Universe Games, Monster Den, Dreamers are great for MTG players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Hansen
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:
Yep, I'd say if you're only popping in for a quick visit, hit the Source and FFG... they are within a short drive of each other and in a busy shopping district so you can drop off anyone not interested in games.

ARMORED Ogre, and Tower are good for minis players...

Universe Games, Monster Den, Dreamers are great for MTG players.

Armored Ogre seems good for Magic players too. I can't compare to those other stores, because I haven't been to them before, but I know whenever I stop in to look at D&D stuff or board games all I see are people playing minis and/or Magic. Unfortunately But Mike is always really nice, so I like going there. It doesn't hurt I live two miles away now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh it's definately good for MTG players as well. It's one of my favorite places to go to play in town because of Mike's kind spirit. This helps attract a really nice bunch of people to play as well.

The others are basically run by Magic players for Magic players, with the exception of Dreamers which has a good showing at Board Game nights. You'll find Minis and other things at those shops, but if you want to stumble into a shop and find people playing 6 out of 7 nights of the week, you'd go to those places..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:

Good advice. If you're in the south Mpls area, the previously mentioned Tower Games is good. They don't have the selection of the Source or FFG, but the staff has always been good and they had a (very small) 40 to 50% off table last time I was there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wilcoxon
United States
Edina
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:
The others are basically run by Magic players for Magic players, with the exception of Dreamers which has a good showing at Board Game nights. You'll find Minis and other things at those shops, but if you want to stumble into a shop and find people playing 6 out of 7 nights of the week, you'd go to those places..

I wasn't aware that Dreamers had a board game night. When is it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tues. A large number of the gang over at Minneapolis/St Paul thread attend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S H

Minnesota
msg tools
This is an old thread, but pretty high when searching for "minnesota game shops" on the Google, so I'll add to this by saying that I'm a huge fan of Fantasy Flight Games' Event Center in Roseville.

All of the staff I've encountered are friendly, helpful, and willing to help out with rules or game suggestions - most of them are avid gamers themselves. They have tables for open play whenever they're open - the only exceptions I've seen are for certain event weekends like Arkham Nights, and even then I think that there may be some tables for open play. They have a huge selection of games (demo boxes) that you can play with, and they don't even charge rental any more (used to be $3 for the night).

They moved to a new, nicer building about half a year ago, and added a kitchen/restaurant (including a beer/wine license). The food and drink are slightly expensive, but given that it's free to play there, free to rent games, etc., I'm okay with paying a bit more in exchange for a great place to play games with friends. I'd also point out that the food is way better than I would expect for a game store - I know a couple of the guys that work the kitchen, and they're really dedicated to making good food. It's also hugely important for me that the entire place is kept clean and organized - I've been to more than just a few game stores that feel grimy, dirty, dusty, or otherwise poorly kept, and I'm not a fan.

One complaint I have about FFG is that their events for non-FFG games sometimes have inconsistent attendance. I've heard that their Monday Magic:TCG drafts work out fine, but that their Friday Night Magic is a bit of a crapshoot (which, unfortunately, is a bit of a self-perpetuating problem) - one of the guys who works there mentioned that they're working on it. On the flip side, their FFG game events have huge turnouts, especially Arkham Nights.

Edit: here's a link to their event center's info page: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_npm_sec.asp?eidm=213&...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls