Subject: Gaming stores / groups in Richmond, VA? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Les Harrison
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
I'll be relocating to Richmond, VA at the end of the month. Going to be living in the Fan (Davis and Mounument) and am looking for a good game store or local gaming group in the area. Any and all recommendations appreciated.

Best-

CMI

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom "Snicker Daddy" Pancoast
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. One Eyed Jacques is the place. It is the only game store in town. If you are into WarHammer or Magic, then I think there are active groups for those. Unfortunately, they don't have much in the way of board games, and there are no board game meetings there. They do sell a fair amount of stuff on ebay, though, so check out their eBay store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby F.
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
Whatever you do will be insignificent. But it is very important that you do it.
badge
This BGG avatar is limited to the explicit use of Quaseymoto and all others will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just an update to this, since these posts are a bit outdated.
(repeated on all 4 Richmond, VA links on FLGS US tabs)

I moved to the Richmond area 3 years ago, and here's what I've found as far as gaming stores go. These are sorted by distance from center of Richmond.

One Eyed Jacques - 3104 W Cary St Richmond, VA 23221 (3.6 miles from center)
Still opened. I find it a bit uninviting as far as hanging out or events, not a Magic Den but still some LGS problems. They have a very good collection of games, about 10 tables to play on. Biggest pro in my eyes is the Scratch & Dent section, which offers new, damaged games at 50% off (sometimes as little as a small corner dent).

FTW Games - 13176 Midlothian Turnpike Midlothian, VA 23113 (13.8 miles from center, W-SW)
I have not spent time here but I hear it's a great place for Warhammer and other wargames, as well as bigger, heavier games. No clue on selection.

Dragon's Den - 4336 Pouncey Tract Rd, Glen Allen, VA 23060 (15.9 miles from center, in Short Pump)
This gets my recommendation. They are a bit smaller than the other 2, offering only about 6 tables, but I feel they make up for it significantly with their friendly, customer oriented attitude. The store always appears clean. There selection is a bit smaller than above (and no scratch and dent ) but they stock new titles and have a good special order policy.
Biggest pro for me is the demo section. They offer a large library of games that can be played at the store for free or rented for like $7, and if you decide to buy the cost comes off the final price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dark Current
msg tools
mbmb
FTW Games is called Battlegrounds now. New ownership.

http://www.battlegroundsrva.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Drake
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Richmond/Chesterfield/Glenn-Allen/etc have lots of gamers. Go to the gaming stores, check out meetup.com events, etc... you'll find people in no time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Futral
msg tools
mbmb
I cannot help you with gaming stores but I live a few blocks away on Moument a few years ago. Near the Maury statue. I spent hours and hours just wondering around the city. Always finding hidden cafes or shops or parks. It was a great place to live. Look up Texas Beach near Maymont. It's kind of a hidden swimming area. Also Monument gets shut down several times a year for parades, races or other events. It's nice to, if you have a porch to just sit and watch bands play or whatever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls