badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Toronto Area No Ship Math Trade XXIV Discussion Thread:

Important Dates:

Opens: Immediately
Closes: Monday, November 14, 2011 at 6:00pm EST
Want Lists due by: Thursday, November 17, 2011 by 8:00pm EST
Results Posted: Friday, November 18, 2011 at 3:15am EST
Trade Date: Saturday, November 19, 2011, 2011 @ 12:00pm.
Where: The Agricola Lutheran Church and it’s located at 25 Old York Mills Rd.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: There is a $5 entry fee for all people attending TABScon, regardless of whether you're gaming or not. Thus, if you intend to only show up to participate in the Math Trade you will still have to pay the $5 entry fee. Thank you.

Trade Geeklist:
Toronto Area No Ship Math Trade XXIV

Request Geeklist:
Toronto Area No Ship Math Trade XXIV - REQUEST LIST
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Simas
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Results: http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/trades-summary.cgi?listid=...

Want Lists: http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/74300-officialwants.txt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Simas
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reserved
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Thomas
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got all my games in... good times ahead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O R
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
“Bugger this. I want a better world.”
badge
"Do not offend the Chair Leg of Truth; it is wise and terrible."
mbmbmb
Card wrote:
Got all my games in... good times ahead.
Ditto. Itching for more entries... More! Moaaaare!!!!

Sorry, got carried away =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Iradian
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Where are all the games? Usually these things hit 20 pages or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara VanderWal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We still have lots of time to enter games! I'm a procrastinator which I believe is the default for many other people as well. The games will come soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caitlyn Paget
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
4. Kinds of entries: You may not allow a choice of different items to the recipient.

Why not? If you don't mind my asking...

I have a few games that I would like to offer as a lot. But it seems like lots are double-edged because they increase the value of your offer but can also repel some potential traders.

To try and overcome this, I was thinking of listing a bunch of games together and let the recipient choose a couple (I would specify an exact number) that interest them.

I'll follow the rules as stated, and not offer any choice. But I'm curious about the reasoning behind this rule. And wondering if the is any room for changing it in the future?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Simas
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These are Belash's rules, I just copied them.
I do not know the original reasoning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Messersmith
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
With your head held high and your scarlet lies You came down to me from the open skies It's either real or it's a dream There's nothing that is in between
badge
Twilight, I only meant to stay awhile Twilight, I gave you time to steal my mind Away from me.
mbmbmbmbmb
One possible reason is that I'm not sure OLWLG handles this very well in it's display of entires. For example, in the actual table of choices (step 4) I don't think there would be anything to indicate the choice was not a sweetener, it would look just like any other multiple item entry. Unless someone payed close attention in step 3 (which they should, don't get me wrong) you could have someone show up expecting two games and getting one.

On one hand, that's buyer beware, as long as your entry was very clear about what you were actually offering. On the other, maybe the worst case is more trouble than Belash wanted to deal with; bad feelings at the math trade table are no fun for anyone.

tathta wrote:
Quote:
4. Kinds of entries: You may not allow a choice of different items to the recipient.

Why not? If you don't mind my asking...

I have a few games that I would like to offer as a lot. But it seems like lots are double-edged because they increase the value of your offer but can also repel some potential traders.

To try and overcome this, I was thinking of listing a bunch of games together and let the recipient choose a couple (I would specify an exact number) that interest them.

I'll follow the rules as stated, and not offer any choice. But I'm curious about the reasoning behind this rule. And wondering if the is any room for changing it in the future?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tathta wrote:
Quote:

For the record, I like this idea and see it in other trades (USA mostly)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I seem to remember a comment a few trades ago that the rationale behind this rule was that it put the two people involved in this transaction under pressure to get the details worked out in a rather short period of time. I don't know if there was an incident, or if it was just a "theoretical concern".

However, maybe the current group of participants don't think it's necessary? I'm OK either way. I know that if I put a lot like this on my want list, I'll know what I want, and I'll be sending a message to the other person as soon as I see the results, if I were to receive that lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caitlyn Paget
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Valid points. And I really wouldn't want to be involved in any misinterpretation, and consequent unhappiness. Math trades require a lot of mutual trust, and I recognize that.

A couple possible solutions:
To the problem of OLWLG formatting - what if I listed the lot using the Altname title? This would allow the selection aspect to be part of the title, which would make it much clearer.

And to the problem of people possibly not understanding how it works, and expecting to receive the entire lot - I would try very hard to be exceptionally clear on this. But perhaps there is an example from another trade that I could follow, to create a "standard template"? I think it's reasonable to expect the receiver to read each entry carefully, but it would also be my responsibility to write my entry clearly.

I'm very interested in doing this type of entry, so this discussion is great. Hopefully we can figure out a way to make it work, and then change the rules for the next MT!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Simas
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We will leave it out of this trade, especially with the short deadline from results posted to trade.

If I'm continuing to run these in the future I feel that rule could be removed though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caitlyn Paget
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaJackel wrote:
We will leave it out of this trade, especially with the short deadline from results posted to trade.

If I'm continuing to run these in the future I feel that rule could be removed though.
Awesome!

And very reasonable to leave it out of this trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of latecomers seem to be showing up now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaJackel wrote:
Toronto Area No Ship Math Trade XXIV Discussion Thread:

Important Dates:

Opens: Immediately
Closes: Monday, November 14, 2011 at 6:00pm EST
Want Lists due by: Thursday, November 17, 2011 by 8:00pm EST
Results Posted: Friday, November 18, 2011 at 3:15am EST
My suggestion for a future trade is to make Monday deadline for 8pm, just to give last minute stragglers a bit of time after work to add.

For results posted, usually an hour or two after the wantlist deadline is the norm, hopefully we could do that this trade as it gives people more time to check results, more time to add games for sale at Tabs/cut prices and of course the biggest one, we're all too impatient to wait overnight to see what happened!

Thanks for running another trade!

J

p.s please update the tool so us latecomers can work on wantlist!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O R
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
“Bugger this. I want a better world.”
badge
"Do not offend the Chair Leg of Truth; it is wise and terrible."
mbmbmb
Cheers to that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Simas
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jayjonbeach wrote:

My suggestion for a future trade is to make Monday deadline for 8pm, just to give last minute stragglers a bit of time after work to add.

For results posted, usually an hour or two after the wantlist deadline is the norm, hopefully we could do that this trade as it gives people more time to check results, more time to add games for sale at Tabs/cut prices and of course the biggest one, we're all too impatient to wait overnight to see what happened!
I won't be around later tonight, so it was either earlier today or not until tomorrow which shortens the window for want list submissions.

The gap between closing submissions and posting results is just in case something unexpected arises. Chances are it will be posted 5-10 minutes after the close.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaJackel wrote:
jayjonbeach wrote:

I won't be around later tonight, so it was either earlier today or not until tomorrow which shortens the window for want list submissions.
Ah I see moderator has to be around to "close" the trade on time then, wasn't sure about that. Maybe Jeffy will automate it in future.

DaJackel wrote:
The gap between closing submissions and posting results is just in case something unexpected arises. Chances are it will be posted 5-10 minutes after the close.
Suweet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Iradian
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Did they make some changes to the program? I can't seem to submit my wants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hutton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I pasted the official format text into a note to DaJackel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Simas
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies, forgot to enable online want submissions before I headed out. All is fine now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to warn all traders that I will be submitting a blank want list this time, sorry!

Miguel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Thomas
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
agent easy wrote:
Just wanted to warn all traders that I will be submitting a blank want list this time, sorry!

Miguel
No chance for Junta: Viva el Presidente! for me then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   |