Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
After a cold night sleeping outside at Euroquest,
Pat, Mark, Kurt, and Bruce
playing my home made Colonial
we started the day off with a 6-player game of Colonial: Europe's Empires Overseas with Tom, Kurt and some of his buddies: Bruce, Mark, and Pat. I spent a good 30 minutes going over the rules and each of action cards in detail, and then we set out to play. From start to finish, we clocked in at just under 2 hours. There were no wars, though, as the folks with the strongest navies were all on the bottom of the diplomatic totem pole.

Mostly because of the level 1 and 2 booming city, I ended up winning by paying off my loan with a trading action, but second and third were at 9 and 10 prestige, both with loans and not enough money to pay them back. In any event, we played with a pre-announced tiebreaker rule that you could only pay back a loan on your turn, but it didn’t affect the outcome. Afterward, everyone seemed to really enjoy the game, especially since it was a heavy strategy game with an epic feel, yet it only took two hours. Also note: we played my privateer variant and the revised war rules.

The funniest aspect was that Kurt rolled four straight 1's on four successive exploration actions. Meanwhile, Pat took a huge turn one gamble and went for the West Indies and rolled a 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
out4blood wrote:
The funniest aspect was that Kurt rolled four straight 1's on four successive exploration actions. Meanwhile, Pat took a huge turn one gamble and went for the West Indies and rolled a 6.

Thanks for the report Tim - great stuff. I'm slightly alarmed though at the prospect of rolling 4 successive 1's! The dice didn't have a great impact in the game I played but Kurt in your game suffered game-wrecking bad luck there it seems?

When I first read the rules I was concerned about the possible over-bearance of luck in this game. As it happens, in our game the dice didn't unduly punish or favour any players so the impact of luck was limited. If it became a problem it might be scope for a variant - ie you get +1 on your next attempt after an exploration failure or something - after all - from a thematic point of view - lessons would have been learned from the failure.

It will be interesting to see how players' experiences pan out as this game gets more plays. Hopefully not too many folk will be rolling 4 straight 1's! Kurt deserves a T-shirt to commemorate that. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a fantastic job for a homemade copy! I don't think there is much need for you to pay $100 for the game of you've managed to put that together.

I suspect that two things explain the difference between the length of your session and the length of my first game (which was about twice as long): war, and cooperation.

Our game definitely had lots of war (usually started by me) and rebellion (also started by me) and privateering (using your variant). I think this kept people in check a bit and caused the game to run a bit longer.

Second, our group did very little cooperating when it came to Merchant and Trader actions. Most players only kept enough Merchant fleets around to cover their own monopoles, and we would occasionally leave ships empty because the benefit to the opponent seemed to outweighs the benefit to oneself. Of course, if cooperation was reciprocal, the benefits would offset, and the game would progress much more quickly.

I am looking forward to playing this game again this weekend at LobsterTrap (maybe even two or three times), in the hope that I can push the end of the game a little more quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Dean
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
badge
Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious predator on Earth!
mbmbmb
Beyond the fact that you would be reimbursing the person who made the game in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
doubtofbuddha wrote:
Beyond the fact that you would be reimbursing the person who made the game in the first place.

Of course! I didn't mean to imply that he shouldn't buy the game (I have qualms about homemade games for related reasons). I was simply referencing the fact that I had offered him one of the early copies that I had available, which he declined. Seeing what he already has to play with, I can understand not wanting to pay the first-run import pricing. Hopefully, more copies will make their way to the States at less of a premium.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, if you think that is funny, then you'll really enjoy that due to Kurt's exploration upgrade, the only way he could've failed was on a 1. Four times... Actually, I had two auto-successes due to my exploration bonus and adjacency, so two of those rolls were perfunctory; I was just trying to roll out the 1s (didn't work apparently). So I actually only failed on two of those rolls but still, failing on a 1 out of 6 chance twice did really suck, and I didn't think I was taking an irresponsible risk. Do you have to bump up your exploration to an auto-success level each time? I don't know yet.

As to the length of the game, I think Ben is correct in that we had no wars or cooperation so that kept things moving. I expect my group's games to come in a bit longer once we learn the subtleties, but I like the way the programmed actions keep the game moving. Once you make your picks things fly. I've only had one play but I'm not seeing how some games are going 4+ hours as reported. I hope ours don't end up there b/c I specifically picked this up for its ability to render a substantial experience in a shorter time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
chally wrote:
doubtofbuddha wrote:

Of course! I didn't mean to imply that he shouldn't buy the game (I have qualms about homemade games for related reasons). I was simply referencing the fact that I had offered him one of the early copies that I had available, which he declined. Seeing what he already has to play with, I can understand not wanting to pay the first-run import pricing. Hopefully, more copies will make their way to the States at less of a premium.

That's partially what I was waiting on, and also Wifey has placed economic sanctions on the state of Luderia - no imports, until we even out the balance of trade.

Although, it really is a no-brainer. If it doesn't get US distribution, prices on it are going to go right up! It's one of those great games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
enzo622 wrote:
As to the length of the game, I think Ben is correct in that we had no wars or cooperation so that kept things moving. I expect my group's games to come in a bit longer once we learn the subtleties, but I like the way the programmed actions keep the game moving. Once you make your picks things fly.

As you recall, I was cracking the whip pretty hard to keep things running along. As the "game explainer", I have somewhat of an obligation to ensure pacing. That and I hate slow games.

Quote:
I've only had one play but I'm not seeing how some games are going 4+ hours as reported. I hope ours don't end up there b/c I specifically picked this up for its ability to render a substantial experience in a shorter time.

Once folks get more experience, then the group can start to work together to keep everyone in check, and that might entail extra turns. I keep intending to do my all out navy strategy, but it never seems to materialize.

But, I really may have to raise my rating on this purely for the 5 and 6 player experience. With that player count, I can't think of any game I'd rather play right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Dean
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
badge
Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious predator on Earth!
mbmbmb
out4blood wrote:
That's partially what I was waiting on, and also Wifey has placed economic sanctions on the state of Luderia - no imports, until we even out the balance of trade.

Although, it really is a no-brainer. If it doesn't get US distribution, prices on it are going to go right up! It's one of those great games.

Indeed, that is why I am inclined to recommend people just pick it up. If they like it, but it comes out a little bit later for less money, well then they got to explore it before everyone else. If not? Well, then its price will almost certainly rise so it is good you got in while the price was relatively low.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
out4blood wrote:
But, I really may have to raise my rating on this purely for the 5 and 6 player experience. With that player count, I can't think of any game I'd rather play right now.

After one play, it falls in the roughly the same category as Struggle of Empires for me. I think it's actually much simpler at its core (a good thing), but I'm just not there yet. Also, the board felt a little too open with four. I'm not sure that I would like having to wait around on more people, but it might be worth it for a little extra competition for space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chally wrote:
out4blood wrote:

After one play, it falls in the roughly the same category as Struggle of Empires for me. I think it's actually much simpler at its core (a good thing), but I'm just not there yet. Also, the board felt a little too open with four. I'm not sure that I would like having to wait around on more people, but it might be worth it for a little extra competition for space.

Yea, I would be inclined to drop a continent with only 4 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.