Subject: Any good gaming stores near downtown DC? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D Clevenger
United States
Sunnyvale
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be walking around there soon and am just wondering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Maitland
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No. I wish there were some, but no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Clevenger
United States
Sunnyvale
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
/Sigh

thanks. I thought out of work Democrats would have started a game store by now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I can't remember a time when there was a gamestore actually within DC. You need to go the suburbs to find gamestores. Then again, downtown DC isn't really like other cities, it's not really a shopping magnet.

You can go up the redline to White Flint and then walk (a bit of a way) to Dreamwizards, "Shop of the fantastic since 1978"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penny
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got this one from RGG website:

Child's Play
5536 Connecticut Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20015

Don't know what they have in there. But I guess ucan try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Dahlstrom
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
(This is a picture of a frozen waterfall, from behind the waterfall)
mbmbmbmbmb
The Compleat Strategist is near the East Falls Church metro stop. Not real near the stop, but walkable.

It doesn't have games (what a shame!), but the Chocolate Moose is definitely worth checking out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Kirschenbaum
United States
College Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best bet is probably the Game Parlor, with locations in both Chantilly and Woodbridge. Neither is even remotely Metro accessible.

Depends what you're looking for, but I find the pickings at Dream Wizards slim indeed. Lots of Warhammer and RPG stuff, a smattering of Euros and alomst nothing at all worth mentioning for wargames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glenn
United States
Wheaton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other Realms (I think I've got the name right) in Gaithersburg isn't bad--good for RPGs, pretty good for Euros, not so good for wargames (but not too bad either). The people who work there are pretty nice too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
It's probably a broad generalization (or maybe a paranoid delusion), but I've always suspected that DC exerts a strong geek suppression field because it draws so many former student body president/high school quarterback types.

In any case, as everyone has said, we got nothing. Game Parlor's probably the best-rounded of the stores, but it's not worth a special trip out to Chantilly unless you really need a fix....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Taylor
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
There are a HUGE number of wargamers in the DC area, probably because all of the defense contractors that gather here. It's nirvana for the the counter pusher around here. You're never starved for a game if you want to play.

Lots of roleplayers too, judging by the crowd at the Game Parlor. They have lots of room for play and its always packed with that crowd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreeing with Jerry here - I lived in NoVa for five years and still go back four times a year - huge gaming community, especially compared to my hometown and current residence of Pittsburgh. Lotsa wargamers especially - including miniature gamers (gamers who play with miniatures, not incredibly small gamers).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Maitland
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no question in my mind that the DC area is an excellent place to play boardgames. I've played quite a few games with people I've met through BGG. I wish there was a decent store actually in DC though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Falafel Palmer
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kittyangel wrote:
I got this one from RGG website:

Child's Play
5536 Connecticut Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20015

Don't know what they have in there. But I guess ucan try.

Hooray! A plug! and it wasn't even me! I work there, and we're not a dedicated game store, but we have a good selection. we're not near down town alas. however, we are like a 15 min. walk from the Friendship Heights metro, on the Red Line. also, the L1, L2, L4 busses run right past the store, one goes from MacPherson sq. metro and the other(s) from Dupont Circle. You can give us a call at 202-244-3602 and anyone can give you directions. Let me know if you plan to come by, i might be there. i am however going to be at the WBC this next week. Steven, the manager and mostly game buyer (i'm the sometimes game buyer) are always happy to meet more game people. it really makes our day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Robertson
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
Agreeing with Jerry here - I lived in NoVa for five years and still go back four times a year - huge gaming community, especially compared to my hometown and current residence of Pittsburgh. Lotsa wargamers especially - including miniature gamers (gamers who play with miniatures, not incredibly small gamers).

If you can't find gamers in Pittsburgh, you're not looking hard enough. GASP has been getting 40+ people at our monthly game days... that includes boardgames, minis, wargames, role-playing, etc.

As with everything in the 'burgh, it's here, you just have to look for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Loomis
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
compleat strategist in falls church has quite a few wargames now.
a little pricey, but there's a fair selection of the games i see mentioned on here quite a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dream Wizards in Rockville is much bigger than Compleat Strategist, but it is about 40 min north of downtown, where the Strategist is like 20 min west.

(Used to live like 5 blocks from CS Falls Church).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls