Subject: Battle of Platea AAR rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
May the Great Spirit Bless all who read this.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my solo refight of the Battle of Platea. In my first battle of Platea the Persians managed to get their Light Cavalry (LC) around the rear of the Greek Key Zone. There they caused havoc and denied a vital deployment tile to the Greeks. The Greeks took some time to dislodge this rogue Light Cavalry unit who were instrumental in a decisive Persian victory. I'm refighting the battle to allow the opportunity for Greek revenge. This time they are not going to make the same mistake of being out-flanked and allowing enemy cavalry in their rear. Or maybe they will?

I've made a few errors like deploying one to many Greek units on turn 2 but I don't think they were too crucial. I'm still new to the system so view any other glaring errors or omissions as part of the chaos of battle.

Historical Set up Turn 1

Greek Turn 2 FV=11 Com=1 + 3
Callimachus has sent a courier to the rear ordering Light Infantry (LI) to get onto the field and secure the right flank on the hill. Hoplites deploy behind the Greek key zone ready to support their leader who has opened the battle with an attack that shattered Persian Levy LC.

Persian Turn 2 FV=16 Com=1 + 5
Persian archers reinforce the key zone and take the lead. The Persians decline to attack in the center and deploy more archers in support.

Greek Turn 3 FV=29 Com=2 + 4
The Veteran Greek Hoplites deployed earlier have boosted the fighting value and advance to reinforce the Greek center. Meanwhile the two Veteran Hoplite units already deployed with Callimachus attack but are easily repulsed by the Persian archers. More Hoplites arrive on the field in the center rear and the LI on the right wing advance to secure the right flank.

Persian Turn 3 FV=26 Com=2 + 4

Persian HI deploy in the center rear. The Persian leader orders some of his Levy HC to reinforce the left wing. The LC already on the left boosted by the presence of the reinforcing horse attack the Greek right and hit the LI.

*nb the video says end of turn 2 by mistake.

Greek Turn 4 FV=41 Com=4 + 5
Levy LI deploy in support of the Greek right flank. The Veteran Hoplites in the center again fail to hit the Persian archers holding the pass between the two hills! The Average Hoplites advance towards the center and more Average Hoplites deploy on the hills overlooking the field.

Persian Turn 4 FV=38 Com=3 + 1

Persian HI advance in support of the right of their leader and secure the hill in the center of the field. The Persian cavalry on the left inflict more damage on the Greek LI. The Persian Hoplites and archers inspired by their leader inflict a devastating attack on the Veteran Greeks in the center hitting 3 veteran units and another Hoplite unit!

Greek Turn 5 FV=55 Com=5 + 1

The Veteran Greek Hoplites inflict casualties on the Persians between the hills but don't break through. The fighting is bitter. Meanwhile the Greeks in the centre assault the hill inflicting only minor damage.

Persian Turn 5 FV=38 Com=3 + 6

The Persian cavalry on their left flank run down the Greek light infantry holding the flank. They are now poised to threaten the left flank of the Greek center. The main body of Greek Veteran Hoplites and Persian Heavy Infantry continue their bitter struggle. More Persian Levy troops arrive on the field.

Greek Turn 6 FV=62 Com=6 + 6

The Veteran Greek Hoplites attack the Persian lines. Although they are causing casualties on the Persians they still hold. The Veteran Hoplites are reinforced by more Heavy Infantry, but are still threatened on the right flank by Persian horse. The Hoplites in the centre assault the hill again inflicting heavy casualties on the defenders, but the hill remains in the possession of the Persians.

Persian Turn 6 FV=42 Com=4 + 3

The Persian situation is critical. The key zone is now threatened by a very powerful force and the Persians are all spent. The Persian cavalry make a desperate attack on the Greek right flank but are unable to break through or distract the Greeks from their main assault.

Greek Turn 7 FV=62 Com=6 + 6

The Persian centre has so far defended valiantly against the the veteran Greek Hoplites who advance again under a hail of Persian arrows. This time the Greeks are resolute. The Persian line wavers and Mardonius rushes forward to bolster his line. A Hoplites spear cuts him down and the Persians seeing their leader slain, panic and the Persian line starts melting away. The Greeks advance into the valley cutting down the fleeing Persians. The Persian Hoplites occupying the hill in the centre receive another attack at the same time they hear of the death of Mardonius and see their compatriots fleeing. They break and the Greeks swarm onto the hill. The Persian army crumbles and flee the field.

Final Score: Greeks 69 Persians 65
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow that was a string of very bad luck for the Hoplites in the center-right! surprise

Nicely fought, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Sabin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
I love the combination of pictures and short video clips. A great way to bring the battle to life without taking up too much time.

Plataea will be the focus of the next Society of Ancients Battle Day next spring, so there will be lots more refights of this engagement going on. More immediately, this Saturday we will be refighting with 28mm figures another mutual surprise scenario at the Warfare show in Reading, UK, namely Pydna. Anyone in the vicinity, do come and take part!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'Rocky' Robertson
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Now a Sarf London boy!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session review, thank you, I had a different outcome, but when the dice are against you they seem to never end.

Wish I could get Reading Philip, but please post some of the sessions if you can, thanks

Wonderful game by the way,just wish I had the craft to stop my tiles sliding, really annoying in the middle of a mind blowing attack! cry

nb to self, yes I know cloth helps as does that non-slip stuff, I must buy some, soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
May the Great Spirit Bless all who read this.
mbmbmbmbmb
pagsab wrote:
I love the combination of pictures and short video clips. A great way to bring the battle to life without taking up too much time.

Plataea will be the focus of the next Society of Ancients Battle Day next spring, so there will be lots more refights of this engagement going on. More immediately, this Saturday we will be refighting with 28mm figures another mutual surprise scenario at the Warfare show in Reading, UK, namely Pydna. Anyone in the vicinity, do come and take part!
If I wasn't on the other side of the globe I would be there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Sabin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
I have just started using non-slip underlay myself, and I can really recommend it - it works a treat! I got a roll in a pound store quite a while ago. You should be able to find it in a hardware store. My version is called 'Stay in Place', made by Royal Lace in New Jersey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.