Subject: Battle of Nemea AAR rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
May the Great Spirit Bless all who read this.
mbmbmbmbmb
Historical Setup
On studying this historical deployment there didn't appear to be any realistic options for either side other than to refuse their left flanks and try and secure a victory on their right flank. I wanted to be creative but felt that any deviation from this would result in a very quick demise for one of the armies. So my plan for the Allied Coalition was to advance and engage the Spartan left quickly before their strong right broke through on the right. And unsurprisingly the Spartan plan was essentially the same.

Allies End Turn 2 commands 5 + 2
The Allies advance along the center and right of their line. They know they have to get to grips early before the veteran Spartan hoplites hit their left. The heavy cavalry express move down the right flank to threaten the Spartan left straight away.

Spartans End Turn 2 commands 6 + 1
The strong Spartan right advances on the Allied left. The Spartans also advance in the centre to support the attack and the Heavy Cavalry threaten the Allied left also.

Allies End Turn 3 commands 5 + 4
The Allied hoplites in the center have struck the Spartan line and hit them hard, spending all their units! Bolstered by what they see unfolding in the center the right flank of the Allied line surges on. The Allied heavy cavalry have struck the Spartan left scattering the light infantry. Meanwhile Allied light infantry are ordered from the right flank to hurry along the riverbed to support the threatened left.

Spartans End Turn 3 commands 6 + 4
The Spartan Veterans smash into the Allied left with a withering assault on the troops stationed along the river. Their attack is supported by flanking cavalry. The allied position is tenuously held by some determined heavy cavalry. Spartan hoplites in the center continue the fierce hand to hand fighting with their Allied counterparts in the center of the field, inflicting many casualties. Meanwhile the Spartan left is under real threat.

Allies End Turn 4 commands 5 + 5
The Allies are unable to break through on the right, but they have reinforced the left, albeit with a comparatively very weak unit of light infantry. (reminds me of the forlorn hope during the Napoleonic Wars). The battle rages all along the line.

Spartans End Turn 4 commands 5 + 5
The Spartan heavy cavalry on the right flank reform again and charge into the light infantry that just arrived, driving them and the rest of the Allied left flank cavalry from the field! The Spartan Veterans are free to swing left and engage the Allied center in the flank. They do so and shatter and rout all the Allied hoplites in the center. The Allies on the right flank seeing the enemy rolling up their flank start to withdraw from the field as some of their other units rout.

Victory Points
Allies = 61
Spartans = 90

Summary
Well the battle played out as the model intends it to, however there seems to be a remote possibility of an Allied win. I'm not sure how that left flank can hold out long enough for the right to break through, and even then such a breakthrough is unlikely to cause panic across the entire Spartan line. I thought about sending the Allied heavy cavalry across from the right wing early on, but was put off by the terrain affecting the movement and the fighting ability. This could be fun to fight without using the historical deployment..I want to beat those Spartans!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Snowman wrote:
On studying this historical deployment there didn't appear to be any realistic options for either side other than to refuse their left flanks and try and secure a victory on their right flank. I wanted to be creative but felt that any deviation from this would result in a very quick demise for one of the armies. So my plan for the Allied Coalition was to advance and engage the Spartan left quickly before their strong right broke through on the right. And unsurprisingly the Spartan plan was essentially the same.

And with that insightful paragraph you summed up one of the major problems with the game.

(The other being the incredible number of exceptions and modifiers to every move and every roll.)

A great session report on not-so-great-a-game. Nice job! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
May the Great Spirit Bless all who read this.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cleitus the Black wrote:
Snowman wrote:

And with that insightful paragraph you summed up one of the major problems with the game.

(The other being the incredible number of exceptions and modifiers to every move and every roll.)

A great session report on not-so-great-a-game. Nice job! thumbsup

I can understand why some people will have trouble with this purely as a game experience. For me it's way more than that. Being able to read some scholarly background to a battle and then recreating it based on the information available is tremendous fun. In a lot of cases this is going to produce battles that seem very pre-determined.

The beauty of the system is that it allows much more than that: For example at the Battle of Nemea, the Allied contingents wanted to adopt the formations to which each region was accustomed to, without regard to the formations of the tactics of the Allies as a whole. Using Lost Battles we could model what could have occurred at the battle had the Allies been less uncoordinated. If a strong Leader emerged among the Allies could he have provided that cohesion which may have swung the tide? Giving the allies an Average Leader would be one method to test this.

This game encourages me to do my own research on the battles, and the model allows me to easily tweak a battle to test different ideas. This is where the production really shines for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bedard
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have been really enjoying the puzzle of Nemea. Very tough go of it for the allies. I tried to detach half of the 8 hoplites from the right and get them over to reinforce the left, but it wasn't enough (even with managing to kill the leader on a failed rally roll) Those veterans are just so tough, especially when attacking into a river.
Of the 4 scenario's I've played so far, this has been the most engaging for me. Or maybe that's just a comment on how more and more comfortable I am becoming with the system as a whole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.