Lost Battles» Forums » General

Subject: Pydna refought with miniatures rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Sabin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
On Saturday, we put on the latest of our Lost Battles participation games at UK wargames shows, as part of the Society of Ancients presence. This time it was the Warfare show in Reading, and the battle was Pydna - one of the finest tactical contests in the game because of the terrible dilemmas over command point allocation and unit deployment due to the mutual surprise. I have added some pictures to give you a feel for the event.

The guy in the striped shirt is Alan Waller, who performs sterling service in advising newcomers on their tactical choices - his favourite phrase is 'it's swings and roundabouts really'! It was Alan whose reckless rally attempts in previous incarnations of the system prompted me to restrict commanders to rallying units which are already spent...

In the centre in the light blue shirt is Eric Cruttenden, who provides all of the lovely 28mm figures, and without whom these games would be impossible. On the right in the black shirt is Arrigo Velicogna, who is finishing his PhD at King's College and who acts as my main teaching assistant in my various simulation classes.

We normally use my big 19 inch (50cm) square carpet tiles for the terrain at shows, but sometimes as here we use my 12 inch (30cm) square sculpted cork tiles instead, especially where there are lots of hills and watercourses. I bought the Macedonian camp as one of three on sale for a few pounds at a 'bring and buy' stall at a show earlier this year.

This final image shows how good Eric's figures look up close. It is from the third game of the day, when the Macedonians managed to hem the Romans in and turn the tables on them. Even the Roman camp in the top left was threatened by pesky Greek light horsemen who rode right round onto Mount Olocrus. Only 5 legionary units were still standing by the end, despite Paullus making THREE successful rally attempts, and the Macedonians not surprisingly achieved twice the differential they needed for a major game victory.

I played two follow up games solo the next day with the boardgame components, and the Romans finally got their revenge with a major game victory of their own. You can read more about these five games in post 3796 of the Yahoo group [/groups.yahoo.com/group/lostbattles/]. If you haven't already visited this group, you really should do so, especially since you don't need to be a member to browse the hundreds of thousands of words of content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'Rocky' Robertson
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Now a Sarf London boy!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm so jealous, I'm lucky to get one player to play this, and that's only if I badger them enough, you have a whole group

Nice report mind you, still makes we love playing solo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Sabin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Brilliant, that's done the trick. Simple when you know how!

Phil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bishop
United Kingdom
Lytham St. Annes
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
manfromtherock wrote:
I'm so jealous, I'm lucky to get one player to play this, and that's only if I badger them enough, you have a whole group

Nice report mind you, still makes we love playing solo

Have you thought about playing over Vassal Kevin?

Drop me a line if you fancy a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.