Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Korfmann
United States
Wilson
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was very excited to come home from work to find a package waiting for me. I've been waiting semi-patiently for what seems like so long.

I am having some friends over tomorrow night for our greatly anticipated first play of this game. So, I decided, after punching everything and allowing my newly acquired ownership to gloriously settle upon me as I gazed at the beautiful components, to give it a go with a solo play with family rules.

First attempt: It did not go well. I played with two players and only rescued four POIs and lost one (which happened to be a little girl and made my quite a bit sadder than I anticipated). After having anticipated this game for so long, I'd hate to cast dispersions on it for the luck of the dice roll, but I got my butt kicked by the dice. There were no fewer than 10 explosions and the building came crashing down very quickly. Now, it is entirely possible that being my first encounter with the game, that I did not spend enough time putting out fires and focused, perhaps too much, on rescuing POIs, but I just couldn't catch a break from the dice. I suppose that reflects real live firefighting at times. Result: Abject failure.

Second attempt: Feeling dissatisfied with such a crushing first loss (and seeking vengence for the loss of that cute little redheaded girl) I tried again with four players the second time. Things went a little smoother this time and tried to focus a little bit more on firefighting with a few of the players. The dice were still not kind to me, but I managed to get six POIs rescued with none lost before the building came down. Also, I had two players with POIs one space from a door at the end. A final explosion took everyone out with victory at our finger tips. Result: Near victory (glass half full).

Third attempt: I couldn't allow victory to be snatched away so suddenly and ruthlessly and be able to sleep afterward, so I added a fifth player and tried again. I dedicated two of them to fighting fires this time. The dice were much more cooperative, which I thought only appropriate for a cooperative game. Not only did I manage to rescue the required seven POIs, I achieved a perfect game by rescuing all ten, not to mention putting out almost all the fire in the process. I was able to keep ahead of the fire and probably prevented several possible explosions in the process. It didn't hurt that five of the ten POIs were all lumped together right next to a door, but I'll take it. Result: A very satifying, perfect victory.

For some reason, at least with solo play, I found it very easy to forget to replace POIs and found myself having to catch up several times. The same was true, though less often, with advance of the fire. I suspect, though, that this will be rectified when playing with a group of people. It will be much easier to remember all the components of your own turn when you just have one at a time.

I'm looking forward tomorrow night and to playing with the advanced rules ASAP. Check out my review as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Gambill
United States
Shawnee on Delaware
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice session report that captures the feel of this game. It does, at times, feel very personal, it can, at times, crush you and it can, at times tease you with a near victory. You'll see the slow motion movie scene with the dramatic music as the firefighter rushes towards the open door (the camera is outside) as the building agonizingly collapses into a wall of flame and ash. So close, so tragic. It just FEELS real as a game. The theme is perfectly married to the mechanics. When you win, it is very satisfying indeed. Have fun! Now roll film and......ACTION!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
a valiant, pungent reindeer king
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Never trust a smiling Garfield!
mbmbmbmbmb
ckorfmann wrote:
For some reason, at least with solo play, I found it very easy to forget to replace POIs and found myself having to catch up several times.

This happened to me all the time. By the end of my second game I was mostly good at remembering. Mostly. Hopefully when I play with others they can remind me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls