Subject: Battle of Delium AAR rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
May the Great Spirit Bless all who read this.
mbmbmbmbmb
Historical Setup
Here is my refight of the Battle of Delium using the historical setup. My aim with the Thebans (the lower army in the photo) is to advance across the entire front, occupy the high ground and press on with the deep columns of Hoplites on the right. They outnumber the Athenians in cavalry and Light Infantry. The Athenians are stronger on their right so will try and break through there while holding the left as long as possible.

Theban Turn 2 FV=65 Command=6+4
The Thebans advance.

Athenian Turn 2 FV=54 Command=5+3
The Athenian right moves off. Meanwhile the refused left braces itself. Although protected by Heavy Cavalry it is outnumbered by Theban Heavy Cavalry.

Theban Turn 3 FV=65 Command=6+6

The Theban Heavy Cavalry on the right flank charge and shatter their opposite number. The Hoplites engage in hand to hand combat along the rest of the line.

Athenian Turn 3 FV=51 Command=5+3

The Athenian cavalry on the right flank cause chaos among the enemy cavalry who only just hang on. A break through here at this point could have been crucial for both sides. The adjacent Athenian Hoplites make headway inflicting significant hits on the Thebans.

Theban Turn 4 FV=61 Command=6+2
The Thebans respond to their shaky left by reinforcing it with Levy Light Infantry. They are deployed in front of the wavering Cavalry. The Athenians Hoplites on the left flank are cut down in swathes from the front and flanking cavalry but manage to hold on. The Athenians need to break through on the right now and rescue their left!

Athenian Turn 4 FV=39 Command=3+6
The Athenian cavalry shatter the Light Infantry and Heavy Cavalry but aren't abel to exploit the breakthrough. The Theban left is taking a hammering.

Theban Turn 5 FV=52 Command=5+5
Finally the Thebans despatch the Athenian left and shatter the Hoplites. Panic spreads through the Athenians and units rout and withdraw. A final thrust by the Thebans in the center see off the rest of the enemy.

Victory Points

Thebans = 85
Athenians = 55
Threshold = 29
Result = major battle victory to the Thebans
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice use of Space Hulk (third edition)'s genestealers' entry points (the violet arrows)!

Great AAR!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jay white
Canada
Bowen Island
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this game fun to play? It looks exceptionally simple. Like, simpler than Memoir '44.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coffee demon wrote:
Is this game fun to play? It looks exceptionally simple. Like, simpler than Memoir '44.
From my limited experience with the game and in my humble opinion, I would say that if you are solely after a fun game to play, then Lost Battles would not be my first choice.

If you have a more in-depth interest in ancient warfare and the historical background of ancient battles then I highly recommend the game. For me it is more of a simulation, recreating battles based on best evidence and then exploring alternative scenarios. It has a "broad brush" approach to tactics and strategy so if you are interested in detailed tactical maneuvers, stay away. It takes a keen mind to appreciate the subtle beauty of this gem.

Getting back to your question, as far as simplicity goes, I think Lost Battles is more complex than C&CA but far simpler than say GBOH. What sets Lost Battles apart from C&CA is the research and logic behind all the rules and mechanics of the game. It really is a very unique gaming experience, my second only 10/10 score and I have been wargaming on and off for over 30 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jay white
Canada
Bowen Island
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, there's obviously more to it than it seems then. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Sabin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks for another superb battle report. Just one tiny correction, which probably would not have affected the battle. On turn 4 when you shifted the spent Theban LLI across to reinforce the left flank, the last para of rule 6.4 would prevent them being put in the lead, even if the cavalry had not already attacked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pagsab wrote:
Thanks for another superb battle report. Just one tiny correction, which probably would not have affected the battle. On turn 4 when you shifted the spent Theban LLI across to reinforce the left flank, the last para of rule 6.4 would prevent them being put in the lead, even if the cavalry had not already attacked.
Thanks. For some reason the 'Lead Unit' rules are taking the longest to sink in. A few more games under the belt should fix that. I really wanted the Athenians to break the Theban left earlier and was briefly tempted not to reinforce the wing, but the pedant in me would not allow it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bishop
United Kingdom
Lytham St. Annes
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coffee demon wrote:

While I agree with David that Lost Battles is more 'Simulation' than 'Game' I still get a lot of fun from it.

I almost look upon this as 35 scenarios x 2, with the historical scenarios forming the basis of a good solitaire experience and then using the deployment rules when playing face-to-face.

The deployment rules really add to the decisions you have to make and make each scenario more replayable f-t-f.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bishuk wrote:
coffee demon wrote:

While I agree with David that Lost Battles is more 'Simulation' than 'Game' I still get a lot of fun from it.

I almost look upon this as 35 scenarios x 2, with the historical scenarios forming the basis of a good solitaire experience and then using the deployment rules when playing face-to-face.

The deployment rules really add to the decisions you have to make and make each scenario more replayable f-t-f.
I haven't yet managed to play a battle using full deployment so your comments are more valid than mine. I should have noted that in my earlier comment. The historical scenarios are certainly excellent solo games, and I'm looking forward trying it out ftf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.