GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,682 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
158 Posts
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Vaccine: The Boardgame. A Solitaire Boardgame about curing a disease rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Gibson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The CDC: Biosafety Level 4 solitaire game
Me again!

Here the Virus Mutation Cards I am prototyping. The font I used at home was much cooler than the default Arial it shows up as at work.

There are 5 types of Mutation cards:

No Mutation

When this card is drawn, do not add any Antigens to the virus

Basic Mutation.

When this card is drawn, draw 1 Antigen from the face-down draw pile and place it on the specific hex on the Virus: B5. If an Antigen is already on that hex, then replace it and put the previous Antigen piece in the discard pile.

Progressive Mutation

When this card is drawn, place an Antigen on hex A1, and then draw another Mutation card and follow its instructions.

Moderate Mutation

When this card is drawn, place 2 Antigens on the virus: Hexes C3 and C7.

Advanced Mutation

When this card is drawn, place 3 Antigens on the virus: Hexes B1, B3 and B5.

Next I will upload the Lab Equipment Cards and the Lab Personal Cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.J.
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Loving these updates...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gibson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
breakaway11 wrote:
Loving these updates...

Why thank you, Breakaway.

So here are the Mutation Cards with the font I really wanted to use:

Back of the Virus Mutation Cards

The Lab Cards are next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gibson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the 4 Lab Personnel Cards:

#1 - Dr. Amanda Brown

Cost to Hire: 6

When you are to draw a Mutation Card, draw 2. Choose 1 and perform its action while discarding the other.

#2 - Dr. Eugene Monroe

Every turn you may purchase a 3rd AP providing you have sufficient funding to afford it.

#3 - Dr. Melinda Epple

When you destroy an Antigen, you may double the funding you normally receive.

#4 - Dr. Robert Foster

Every turn you may use the power of a 2nd Lab Equipment card you own. You can’t use the same card twice in 1 turn.

You can only have 1 Personnel card at a time. Their power is on all the time as soon as you hire them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
John, first time i've read this thread.

Check you out with the first game then two of your heros come checking you out! haha

Just a note to say that I think you're really on some good tracks and am really looking forward to hear more. similar to our friend, I also did a related degree in Biomedical Sciences - and as such am impressed with all your stiff!

Hope it goes very well man and best of luck!

sam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gibson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cogentesque wrote:
John, first time i've read this thread.

Check you out with the first game then two of your heros come checking you out! haha

Just a note to say that I think you're really on some good tracks and am really looking forward to hear more. similar to our friend, I also did a related degree in Biomedical Sciences - and as such am impressed with all your stiff!

Hope it goes very well man and best of luck!

sam

Thanks Sam. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, which makes it very difficult to type...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gibson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adding a new feature to The CDC: Biosafety Level 4.

Yes, yes, I know. I have read the following from Alan Emrich’s articles on making a VPG game:

As the President of Quicksilver Software, Bill Fisher, teaches us, “A game isn’t finished when the last feature is added. A game is finished when the last feature is removed.” And this truism brings us to The Law of Addition and Subtraction to Game Designs: Good game designers can add great ideas to a good game; Great game designers can subtract ideas from a good game to make it great.

Anyhoo, I just can’t help myself. Here is my new feature which hopefully makes the game more challenging without overburdening the turn steps:

[7.0] OPERATIONAL COSTS PHASE

After you have performed all possible player actions, it is time to pay for the day-to-day upkeep of the lab. As weeks drag on and the scientists labor feverishly to find a cure, these operational costs will begin to increase.

[7.1] Mark Down the Funding Track the Amount of the Operational Costs: Move the funding marker to the left the amount of your operational costs. This cost increases by 1 every 5 turns and is marked on the Turn Track:

• On turns 1-5, deduct 1 from the Funding track.
• On turns 6-10, deduct 2 from the Funding track.
• On turns 11-15, deduct 3 from the Funding track.

[7.2] Insufficient Funds to Pay Operational Costs: If you have insufficient funds to pay for the operational costs, then your lab went bankrupt and the game is over. (9.0) Game End.

[9.0] GAME END

The game can end in one of five ways:

[9.1] Reach the End of the Turn Track (15): The end of the turn track is reached (15) and the virus still exists. If even one Antigen is left in the Virus Area at the end of the turn 15, you lose and the disease runs rampant and destroys all of humanity in hellish pain, etc.

[9.2] All 19 Virus Hexes are Occupied: If at any point in the game all 19 hexes in the Virus Area are populated with Antigens, the game ends. The disease has mutated beyond the ability of the scientists to combat it. See above for the repercussions.

[9.3] There are no available Antibody Proteins (APs) to Purchase: If you reach the end of your turn and there are no available APs to restock the stacks (7.2)—because they are all placed on Antibodies in the Vaccine Area that have yet to destroy an Antigen—then you lose due to lack of recourses.

[9.4] Insufficient Funds to Pay Operational Costs: If you have insufficient funds to pay for the operational costs needed to keep your lab running, then you go bankrupt. Hopefully some other lab will step it up and save the world while you have a fire sale…

[9.5] All 19 Virus Hexes are Vacant: You destroy the last Antigen in the Virus Area before the end of the last turn. Yay! You have successfully created a vaccine to defeat the disease and save humanity.

....and there you have it.

That Cowboy Guy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Aguayo
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey John,

Updates are looking good. I was about to ask about the increase in funding received on the virus board, but the last update clears that up. Good work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gibson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
middleclassjoe wrote:
Hey John,

Updates are looking good. I was about to ask about the increase in funding received on the virus board, but the last update clears that up. Good work!

Great observation there, Joe. I am hoping to have my first prototype completed tonight and then my first solo play test session. I plan to post a session report on it. I am very curious about how close I hit the mark prototyping a game without ever playing any of it...whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gibson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

[6.2.1] Lab Equipment Cards: You many own as many lab equipment cards as you can afford. After you purchase an equipment card, and adjust the Funding track accordingly, you must take the card and place it, face up, in front of you.

[6.3] Use 1 Lab Equipment Card: You are limited to using the power of 1 Lab Equipment card you own. You cannot use this power more than once per turn, and you may not use the power of more than 1 card per turn unless you have the Dr. Robert Forester Personnel Card.

[6.3.1] Biosafety Level 4 Protocols: The CDC in Atlanta, Georgia, has one of the few Biosafety Level 4 laboratories in the country. These protocols are needed to safeguard the scientists—and the public—from such deadly diseases as smallpox and Ebola. For the first 10 turns of the game, the Biosafety Level 4 Protocols will be in effect (6.3.2). This is represented by the Turn marker being right-side up. On turn 11 or beyond, you may decide to permanently remove Biosafety Level 4 Protocols in order to increase your chances of successfully using your equipment (6.3.3). You may indicate this change in policy by turning the Turn marker upside down. Once you have turned it upside down, you may not turn it right side up again for the rest of the game.

[6.3.2] Using a Lab Equipment Card while Biosafety Level 4 Protocols are in Effect: In game play terms this means that when you want to use the power of an equipment card, you must roll one die:
• If the result is equal to or less than 4, than you can successfully use that card’s power.
• If you roll a 5 or a 6, then your research was unsuccessful and you were unable to use the power of the card. You cannot try using this card again or try another card this turn.

[6.3.3] Using a Lab Equipment Card while Biosafety Level 4 Protocols are not in Effect: In game play terms this means that when you want to use the power of an equipment card, you must roll one die:
• If the result is equal to or less than 5, than you can successfully use that card’s power.
• If you roll a 6, then your research was unsuccessful and you caused an accident in the lab due to your incompetence. You must immediately flip over the top card of the Virus Mutation deck and follow its instructions. (These are the risks when you ignore safety protocols!)

Here are the 10 Lab Equipment Cards:

#5 - Incubator

Cost to Purchase: 4

If you are placing an AP on an Antibody that requires 2 of that exact AP, then it can count for both.

#6 - Aspirator

You may flip over an Antigen piece from the draw pile. This will be the first Antigen selected when you draw a Mutation Card.

#7 - Autoclave

You may flip over 2 Antigen pieces from the draw pile. Discard 1 to the discard pile. The other will be the first Antigen selected when you draw a Mutation Card.

#8 - Calorimeter

Once per turn, before making a purchase, you may discard all the available APs. Flip over the top AP piece of each pile to display the new available protein face up.

#9 - Centrifuge

Once per turn, before making a purchase, you may discard all the available Lab Cards. Draw 3 new cards from the Lab Deck; these will be new available Lab Cards this turn.

#10 - Picotiter

Once per turn, you may exchange 1 Lab Equipment Card you own with 1 available to purchase. The new one must be of equal or lesser value. The funding track will not change. This will count as a purchase action.

#11 - Condenser

Once per turn, you may destroy an Antigen with only 2 visible sides. All other conditions still apply.

#12 - Chemostat

Once per game, you may consider 1 Antibody as complete if it is missing only 1 AP. All other conditions still apply. After use you must remove this card from play for the rest of the game.

#13 - Thermometer

Once per turn, you may disassemble an incomplete Antibody (missing 1 or more APs) and redistribute those APs to other incomplete Antibodies.

#14 - Microscope

Once per game, when you hire a Personnel Card and already have one, you may use the powers of both for just this turn. After this turn is over discard the first Personnel Card. After use you must remove this card from play.

So there you have it: All the cards in the game. As you may have notices I have set the purchase cost to all the Equipment cards to 4. That is because until I have play tested it a few times I won't truly know the value of the cards.

Cheers!
That Cowboy Guy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gibson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A sent a 2nd email to Nathan at VPG today. I attached version 1.2 of my rules. I also let him know that my rough prototype was finished and that I played it 3 times: 1 win and 2 loses so far. I told him I was documenting my play test sessions so I could learn from them.

I figure they are busy with the Christmas rush and I might not hear back from them until the New Year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bacchus
United States
Altamonte Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The best part about this is that you could put out the initial version of the game as a legitimate exploration of the subject matter.

Then, pander to the community by releasing the inevitable zombie expansion.

The game is looking really good. I, for one, will be watching for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gibson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amen Gary: Everything goes better with zombies! zombie

I can just picture it now: A barricaded CDC lab where the scientists are working feverishly to find a cure why fighting off waves of zombie invaders. The game would involve resource allocation: how much time and resources do I spend working on a cure and how much trying to keep the lab from being overrun?

There could be multiple rooms, and each can do 2 or 3 of a limited set of tasks need to create a vaccine. Can I gamble and let Lab 203 be lost to the zombies and hope that using Lab 307 can take up the slack?!?!

And it could be a cooperative game instead of solitaire!!! With special character cards and…and… :: starts to gibber ::zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/99130/dawn-of-the-zed...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gibson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Carey wrote:

Ummm...well.....my game would center on the lab itself...but great minds do think alike, eh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gibson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks,

I finished the game board for my CDC prototype. It's a little plain but it gets the job done for playing the game. The board is 11" x 17", with the printed area being 10" x 16". I divided up the graphic into left side and right side to make it easier to print.

Left Side:

Right Side:

On the left side I describe the 4 Phases of a game turn, and on the right side I list the player actions. I ran out of space/time for describing the Personnel Card power, but I can fit that in later.

I look forward to playing it at lunch today.

Cheers,
That Cowboy Guy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gedin wrote:

Good luck John, and have fun!

Designing a game is like watching an infant grow up - it crawls at first, then takes some initial wobbly steps, stumbles a bit and even falls down, but with patience you guide it along and it eventually gets back on its feet to walk.

Once it starts to run, that's where the real excitement kicks in...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gibson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Carey wrote:
gedin wrote:

Good luck John, and have fun!

Designing a game is like watching an infant grow up - it crawls at first, then takes some initial wobbly steps, stumbles a bit and even falls down, but with patience you guide it along and it eventually gets back on its feet to walk.

Once it starts to run, that's where the real excitement kicks in...

Thanks for the encouragement, Steve.

Right now I think all the components work together and nothing really needs to added or subtracted at this point. What needs work is assigning the final costs to each of the Lab cards. Some Lab Equipment will help you more than others, and therefore they should be more expensive. After 4 play tests I think I have settled on some values for the Lab Personnel cards:

#1 - Dr. Amanda Brown
Cost to Hire: 7

When you are to draw a Mutation Card, draw 2. Choose 1 and perform its action while discarding the other.

#2 - Dr. Eugene Monroe
Cost to Hire: 8

Every turn you may purchase a 3rd AP providing you have sufficient funding to afford it.

#3 - Dr. Melinda Epple
Cost to Hire: 5

When you destroy an Antigen, you may double the funding you normally receive.

#4 - Dr. Robert Foster

Every turn you may use the power of a 2nd Lab Equipment card you own. You can’t use the same card twice in 1 turn.

I just played my 5th game at lunch time and lost. So now my winning ratio is 20%.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hogan Brimacombe
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
The best laid plans of mice and men, often go awry...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey john. I have been reading along and it looks like you are doing a great job on components and theme. As far as difficulty goes, i really enjoy games when only by making 90%+ optimal choices can you achieve victory. If your win percentage is only 20%, this is something that provides additional interest for me as great difficulty is something that draws me.

Basically, i dont know what your final average win percentage target is (and may have missed it somewhere) but if things get too easy i lose interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gibson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hoganbball23 wrote:
Hey john. I have been reading along and it looks like you are doing a great job on components and theme. As far as difficulty goes, i really enjoy games when only by making 90%+ optimal choices can you achieve victory. If your win percentage is only 20%, this is something that provides additional interest for me as great difficulty is something that draws me.

Basically, i dont know what your final average win percentage target is (and may have missed it somewhere) but if things get too easy i lose interest.

I think that somewhere between 20% and 10% would be a good win ratio, Hogan. I would want winning to feel like an accomplishment. Since the game can be played in 30 minutes, it would be nice to be able to win one game in a 2-3 hour session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gibson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm nearly done making a PnP version of my game. I just need to finish the back of the Lab Equipment Cards. I prefer to email the files to people since I haven’t heard back from VPG yet and I’m concerned about making the files unlimitedly available. I will probably have them finished and emailed out by tomorrow night.

So here are the folks I will email my PnP files to as today:

Kurthl33t
Middleclassjoe
Hoganbball23
Cogentesque
Jakal323
sean4star

Anybody else want the rules and PnP files needed to make your own copy of CDC?

Cheers,
That Cowboy Guy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Aguayo
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet! Can't wait to give it a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gibson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I just emailed out 6 copies of the PnP version of my solitaire board game The CDC: Biosafety Level 4. All I asked is if they played the game, please give me constructive feedback.

PDFs:
The CDC: Biosafety Level 4 Rules v1.2: These are the most current rules for the game.
The CDC – Game Board Pnp: Print these 2 pages on card stock, then use scissors or a paper cutter to cut along the edge of one of the pieces and then tape them together so they make 1 complete board roughly 11” x 17”.
The CDC – Cards PnP: print these nine pages on card stock. Cut out the individual pieces and put the front and back of the cards inside card protector sleeves sized 66mm x 91mm (standard gaming cards). There are 22 Virus Mutation cards and 14 The Lab cards (10 Lab Equipment cards and 4 Lab Personnel cards). The equipment and personnel cards have the same back so you don’t know what cards will be coming up next.
The CDC – Tokens PnP: I suggest printing out this 1 page on a single full page shipping label (8½” x 11” 5165/8165 Avery label or 19015 Staples laser/inkjet white shipping label). Then cut out the groups of tokens and stick them to a cardboard back or a foam grid board that you can buy at Staples. You could also just print them out on card stock and then cut them out and glue them to cardboard or foam board.

I will be monitoring my email and the BGG over the holidays. If anyone else wants a copy of these PDFs just send me a private message with your real world email address.

Cheers,
That Cowboy Guy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My printer is out of ink ( ), but I should be able to print this out at my in-laws' place in a few days. I think I'll skip the card-backs and save a bit of ink and paper. Not sure how I'll do the tokens... I don't know what sort of supplies they'll have available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
gedin wrote:
Whooooaaa! This is happening waaaaay too fast for me. The first person to respond is the game designer, and now the 2nd person to respond is the publisher! I literally typed up these rules a few hours ago and posted em.

I'm pretty sure there are people on this site who would kill to be in that position. Not metaphorically, mind - literally...kill a person...with their bare hands...

Best of luck with your endeavours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.