Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
158 Posts
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [7] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Vaccine: The Boardgame. A Solitaire Boardgame about curing a disease rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
People would just say "Contagion," I'd imagine.

Although you could do something like:

CDC
Centers for Disease Control
CONTAGION
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gibson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Good news! cool

VPG's Ace Marketing Director and their "Homer of Modern Fiction" have been added into the email chain to come up with a title for this beast! I look forward to the ideas they come up with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zaxarias Faraggitakis
Greece
flag msg tools
mb
gedin wrote:

Good news! cool

VPG's Ace Marketing Director and their "Homer of Modern Fiction" have been added into the email chain to come up with a title for this beast! I look forward to the ideas they come up with.

Aaaaaa...so much effort to think for an awesome name for your game went in vain

Lets see what kind of name they will come up with.

We will waiting for the good news of your game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gibson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SweetShark wrote:
gedin wrote:

Good news! cool

Thank you for your efforts, Zaxarias, as well as the rest of the BBGers. But nothing is in vain when it comes to making suggestions. By the by, you were right about the center part of the virus being very important, so Core is a good word for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zaxarias Faraggitakis
Greece
flag msg tools
mb
gedin wrote:
SweetShark wrote:
gedin wrote:

Good news! cool

Thank you for your efforts, Zaxarias, as well as the rest of the BBGers. But nothing is in vain when it comes to making suggestions. By the by, you were right about the center part of the virus being very important, so Core is a good word for that.

Good to hear I was right

Btw, I have a strange question:

Your game have a unique theme with the cure and the virus scenario, or is something the publisher with think for the game for themselves?

P.S. I was joking of course in my previous post laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gibson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I came up with the idea of creating a vaccine to cure a virus. I came up with all the rules, components, game board, etc. before I sent it to the publisher. The publisher in turn is trying to add a more of a story line to the game to make it more compelling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gedin wrote:
I came up with the idea of creating a vaccine to cure a virus. I came up with all the rules, components, game board, etc. before I sent it to the publisher. The publisher in turn is trying to add a more of a story line to the game to make it more compelling.

And its been an amazing story/thread to read! I am inspired to keep working on my (to my critical eye) rather lackluster designs in the hope that polishing the coal will somehow locate a diamond...

Anyway... some possible suggestion for a title:

The Cure
Virus: The Cure
Virus!

(I tend to think short-and-snappy gets people's attention these days...)

Please keep us posted on developments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
John,

A title for a game is very important, as has been noted. When Alan Emrich hit upon We Must Tell the Emperor, I knew we had a winner because it would raise the person's curiosity and it also is very evocative for the Pacific Theatre in WWII.

For your design, please avoid Going Viral; I associate that with an internet link which spreads quickly and goes viral. Not what the game is about.

CDC - risky because some people may not know what it stands for, but then again it may pique their interest to find out.

Contagion: I like this a lot as it is a one-word title about a game design where players strive contain (and cure) a contagion, which is kinda catchy. Remember though, there was a motion picture released just last year with that title (which again may bring in both good and bad thoughts).

Vaccine: I like this one best as it sparks a real interest in me as to find out what the backstory is. Plus, it is the victory condition after all too, setting a goal in the solitaire player's mind via the title alone.

Just some random thoughts for your consideration...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zaxarias Faraggitakis
Greece
flag msg tools
mb
Steve Carey wrote:
John,

A title for a game is very important, as has been noted. When Alan Emrich hit upon We Must Tell the Emperor, I knew we had a winner because it would raise the person's curiosity and it also is very evocative for the Pacific Theatre in WWII.

For your design, please avoid Going Viral; I associate that with an internet link which spreads quickly and goes viral. Not what the game is about.

CDC - risky because some people may not know what it stands for, but then again it may pique their interest to find out.

Contagion: I like this a lot as it is a one-word title about a game design where players strive contain (and cure) a contagion, which is kinda catchy. Remember though, there was a motion picture released just last year with that title (which again may bring in both good and bad thoughts).

Vaccine: I like this one best as it sparks a real interest in me as to find out what the backstory is. Plus, it is the victory condition after all too, setting a goal in the solitaire player's mind via the title alone.

Indeed, you must find a title that make the buyer "somehow" to wonder what kind of theme this game, even if the buyers knows already [confusing logic right here ]

So maybe a good title would be:

Humanity's Last Mistake.
Humanity's Last Hours.
Few Hours to Live.
Bloody tears
Last Hope on Earth
Earth's Last Hope

etc, etc.

What do you think?

Faraggitakis Zaxarias.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gibson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SweetShark wrote:
Steve Carey wrote:
John,

Indeed, you must find a title that make the buyer "somehow" to wonder what kind of theme this game, even if the buyers knows already [confusing logic right here ]

So maybe a good title would be:

Humanity's Last Mistake.
Humanity's Last Hours.
Few Hours to Live.
Bloody tears
Last Hope on Earth
Earth's Last Hope

etc, etc.

What do you think?

Faraggitakis Zaxarias.

A number of those are along the lines of the names these guys have been throwing out there, Faraggitakis! I think they have punch.

I just got a flurry of emails this morning and it sounds like they might have decided on a name...but I'm going to keep that to myself for now until it has been finalized.

Thanks for the Double Brainstorming sessions, guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zaxarias Faraggitakis
Greece
flag msg tools
mb
Then the only thing is left to say [for now] is good luck to all of you for putting a lot of effort for the game!!!

Goddbye Cowboy Guy

[spoiler]Joking, see you again in Forums [/spoiler]

EDIT: Huh? The spoiler Tag doesn't work here? I thought it is the same for every Forum. Oh well, I don't mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler tags on the BGG forums are weird. You use "o" instead of "spoiler" in the tags.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zaxarias Faraggitakis
Greece
flag msg tools
mb
kurthl33t wrote:
Spoiler tags on the BGG forums are weird. You use "o" instead of "spoiler" in the tags.

"O"?
What does "O" stand for?

Anyway, test time:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
zombiezombiezombiezombiezombiezombiezombiesurprise

EDIT:
Aaaaaaanndddd....I still see them even It seems I did it right...

EDIT2:

Lets try text this time:

THE ZOMBIES ARE ATTACKING MY D***!!!!!!

EDIT3:
Yep, it seems the spoiler Tag work only for the text. I am ok with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup. Like I said, they're weird.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zaxarias Faraggitakis
Greece
flag msg tools
mb
kurthl33t wrote:

Like me whistle

(o)(o)
-------

Don't ask me what I was doing in other Forums ^^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gibson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SweetShark wrote:
kurthl33t wrote:

Like me whistle

(o)(o)
-------

Don't ask me what I was doing in other Forums ^^

Does not ask him what he did in other Forums...

Glad you are planning to stick around, Mr. Sweeeeeeeet Shark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gibson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesbook wrote:
gedin wrote:

And its been an amazing story/thread to read! I am inspired to keep working on my (to my critical eye) rather lackluster designs in the hope that polishing the coal will somehow locate a diamond...

Anyway... some possible suggestion for a title:

The Cure
Virus: The Cure
Virus!

(I tend to think short-and-snappy gets people's attention these days...)

Please keep us posted on developments.

Hey Derek!

Virus would have been my first choice but there are already two game with the name Virus. One of them is being published this year by BGGer
Kresimir Babic (Xavier13).

And The Cure just wasn't sexy enough for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gedin wrote:

The band does have some excellent songs, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zaxarias Faraggitakis
Greece
flag msg tools
mb
Steve Carey wrote:
gedin wrote:

But the questiob is you have the cure for this kind of poison:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq4j1LtCdww

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Schulman
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Carey wrote:
gedin wrote:

Love the band.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gibson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is next link in the chain of back-and-forth emails between myself and the developer. Here are his responses to my respones of his original email (hope that is not toooo confusing).

This reponse came about 10 days ago: Aug 16, 2012. Now let's get to it:

gedin wrote:
Josh wrote:
Instead of having the turns be measured in Weeks, have it measured in Spread of the Outbreak; this allows the Event cards to potentially move the track forwards and backwards instead of having the track move in one direction only.

Spread of Outbreak is definitely more thematic and exciting then static weeks. Will this still be a linear track? Will it still be 15 squares? Will it still be broken into 3 sections of 5 squares?

The length of the track would potentially have to change since it’s no longer a static forward movement type; the exact length and how long each section would be is something that can be worked out during play-testing before we finalize the game.

gedin wrote:
Josh wrote:
Additionally, have the player roll to determine if the track moves forward or stays the same each round; this roll would be modified by the number of molecules present in the virus.

Interesting. It creates a variable game that gives the player the chance to control how long the game lasts—turn wise.

That was exactly our thinking; it would be explained in the rules as a result of the stress and efforts of the lab and the other CDC workers outside. We could make the difficulty of the roll static or have it change based on where the turn marker currently sits.

gedin wrote:
Josh wrote:
Allow player to have multiple personnel, but create relationships between the characters so that some personnel benefit from working together, others lose ability and some cannot work in the same lab at all.

Nice! Do you still have funding and variable costs to hire personnel (technicians)? Will it still be drawing 3 cards from a mixed deck each turn and hiring/buying only 1?

I was definitely thinking we keep the variable funding costs for personnel, but make some of them really inexpensive (between 1 and 3 funding; they could be called interns or lab technicians instead of doctors, or whatever other distinction we would want).

I think we should still keep it at 3 cards drawn per turn and available to purchase, but it might work out better to allow the player to buy 2 of the 3 cards instead of just 1 per turn (I have seen a player lose the current version of the game because he bought a single card and the next turn wasn’t able to get rid of any Molecules; buying 2 in a turn is even more of a risk).

gedin wrote:
Josh wrote:
If we make the change to using something like Spread of the Outbreak or Deaths instead of Weeks we can keep the Operational Costs related to the track since it fits in with the story; the further the Outbreak spreads or the higher the Death count gets the more stressed the people in the lab would be, so the more things would cost (mistakes being made, pulling longer hours, etc), whereas the 15 week deadline seems a bit like an arbitrary number to the layman and doesn’t make sense for it to cause stress on the lab workers.

Agreed. I think this works better then my tying the costs to the Equipment Cards. If you are keeping the Spread of the Outbreak low, then your costs should stay low. If it goes high, then you should penalized for it.

Glad we’re on the same page on this one; we were all pretty excited about this change in the office, brainstorming looks for the track, such as having a washed out graph behind it that as it goes up it goes from a green/blue to harsh red.

gedin wrote:
Josh wrote:
We were already thinking it would be a good idea to divide the Equipment Cards up into multiple types, because then we could have Lab Events that prevent you from using certain equipment types for that round (a mockup for the new Event Cards is shown to the left); something like 3 or 4 different types of Equipment would probably create enough variety.

Sounds good. This makes me think of an idea. How about some Event Cards stay active until the player does something to make it go away. In that scenario some Equipment Cards/Personnel Cards could be affected for multiple turns until the player does something to “fix it.” This could add a new phase to the game called Crisis Management Phase where the player gets an opportunity to try to get rid of a continuous Event card. The player would place the card on top of or over the Equipment/Personnel cards affected. This may make the game to fiddly, but just a thought…

I think adding a new phase might be a bit too involved, but we could have Event cards that stay in play until the player does certain things; without coming up with story to justify it yet, the requirements could be things like “Sacrifice two Molecules to get rid of this card” or “Instead of buying new Equipment on a turn spend 4 funding to get rid of this card.”

gedin wrote:
Josh wrote:
The changes you made to the Mutation cards are nice and could be easily incorporated into the Event Cards.

I actually like the current way better. I like the “oh crap!” moments when a Molecule you are working on suddenly gets replaced by a new one.

We could do a mixture of the two or even create a third type that purposely seeks out an existing Molecule and changes it. Just a though to add a bit more tension to flipping over the Event cards.

gedin wrote:
Josh wrote:
The three sections of the Event Cards would include your Mutations while adding in story events for the Lab and world (Deaths) that also impact gameplay; as you can see in the example, the Lab events affect the player’s actions (restricting the creation of AP to one this round) while the Deaths events change the aspects the player has no direct control over (subtracting one from the player’s roll on the Death Track; in this example we ran with the idea the player rolls at the end of the turn to see if the turn track advances or stays in place). In house we were thinking that Lab events could be good or bad, whereas the best you can hope for from Mutations or Deaths is to have no change instead of a bad outcome.

So there can be “Good” Event cards…nice. Your use of Paris, France made me think of something. Right now the Virus area is a hexagon made up of 19 hexes, and so it looks roughly circular. What if we put globe—focusing mostly on Europe—as the background. So that would me that certain European countries/cities could end up being inside a hex. So the card example you gave, when you place that molecule you are actually placing it on the Paris hex…but then problem would be that many of the hexes would be ocean hexes…which would not work thematically. Just thinking out loud.

Or instead of a globe you could still put the name of a major city inside of each hex and just display the background in a different way…just a thought.

If you guys have a different idea for the graphic for the Virus area I would love to see it.

The problem with putting information on the hexes that isn’t easy to remember is that we’re putting things over top of that information; I think the visual of the world underneath is a cool idea and we might use that, but I think labeling the hexes with an easy to remember system like you have is the best way to go.

gedin wrote:
Josh wrote:
I think Molecule will be easier than Antigen; I wanted to call them Molecules while I was playing because of their appearance and I should know better, since I come from a science background.

I would also suggest changing “Antibody Protein” to just “Protein.”

The easier the names are to remember the better, so I think that works.

gedin wrote:
I thought of naming the virus Ebolera, which is a combination of names Ebola and Cholera—it sound very deadly!

That name definitely evokes sense of dread in me, although I’d have to check with some of the less science geeky people in the office to see if it instills the same level of fear.

gedin wrote:
I noticed there was no mention of Funding in this document. Any proposed changes to that?

Funding seems to be working pretty well at this point since it’s based on success as a lab; the only thing I was thinking about is that maybe you only lose funding at the end of your turn if the turn track advances.

gedin wrote:
Do you still like the dice mechanic of rolling for the success/failure of Lab Equipment?

The only change I would want to see to that mechanic is to maybe delay it showing up until the second section of the Outbreak track; this would tie into the story idea of stress in the lab ramping up as the track advances.

gedin wrote:
Does the “push your luck” mechanic of removing Biosafety Level 4 in the last 5 turns of the game where if you roll a 6 you have to flip over an Event card? Did that ever come up in your playtesting or is it an unused option?

You may want to consider just making the third section of the Outbreak track doing that by default; I didn’t use it and I’m not sure if most other people would, so forcing them to go that route might ramp up the tension and would make sense in the story we’re creating.

gedin wrote:
Do you have any mock ups for the board design yet? I love see them when you have them.

I haven’t created a mockup for the board yet; I wanted to nail down some of these changes before we hopped into that, since some aspects may change a bit. I’ll talk with Alan and Nathan and if they feel like we’re in a good spot for that I’ll start working on the board design and get it to you once I have a good working version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zaxarias Faraggitakis
Greece
flag msg tools
mb

Damn, so many to read my friend, but very interesting and very enjoyable at the same time

I must re-read the rules to see the change you made more clear to me.
For the time being, I have some things to say:

-The balance you will have if the players are the one will determine if the track moves forward or stays the same each round.
With the compination of the penalty the players have if the Spread of the Outbreak is very high it seems it would be very unfair for the player to find a cure soon [to win the game].

-Event cards sound very interesting about the game. Hope this have interesting twists in the flow of the game zombie

-A name for a virus a? What about Ouroboros?
This make sence if in the story, the same team that created the virus, they now trying to find the cure to get rid of it to save humanity.

It is after all is an ancient symbol depicting a serpent or dragon eating its own tail.

That for now, I will put some thing later

Bye!!! cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gibson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SweetShark wrote:

Damn, so many to read my friend, but very interesting and very enjoyable at the same time

I must re-read the rules to see the change you made more clear to me.
For the time being, I have some things to say:

-The balance you will have if the players are the one will determine if the track moves forward or stays the same each round.
With the compination of the penalty the players have if the Spread of the Outbreak is very high it seems it would be very unfair for the player to find a cure soon [to win the game].

-Event cards sound very interesting about the game. Hope this have interesting twists in the flow of the game zombie

-A name for a virus a? What about Ouroboros?
This make sence if in the story, the same team that created the virus, they now trying to find the cure to get rid of it to save humanity.

It is after all is an ancient symbol depicting a serpent or dragon eating its own tail.

That for now, I will put some thing later

Bye!!! cool

I am familiar with the Ouroboros, Zaxarias. It is a very cool symbol and would definitely fit with the idea of a virus. In a sense a virus would be eating its own tail if it kills off the host it needs to survive. zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Schulman
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stick with the name antigen, it's more thematic than protein.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gibson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the next email I sent back to the developer in response to his comments/questions:

Spread of Outbreak Track length
I agree that the track length may need to be modified because it is no longer static.

Difficulty Roll
I would lean towards the die roll changing based on where the turn marker currently sits, but play testing may determine what is best.

Allow Buying 2 of 3 Cards per Turn
I like the idea of the player controlling their risk factor and possibly losing if they choose poorly.

Continuous Event Cards
I agree that adding another Phase to the game might be too much, but like the idea that a player might have to choose to pay some cost/penalty to get rid of a Continuous Event Card.

Multiple Event Mutation Types
I do like the idea of multiple mutation types: some that are placed in specific hex, some that are added to the first available spot in in a particular ring, and some that target an existing populated hex and switch it out. I think tension is the key to making this game fun and challenging to play.

Virus Area Background
You are right about keeping the hex labeling simple. Another suggestion I have for a graphic is to make the Virus area appear like it is in a petri dish.

Removing Biosafety Level 4
Removing the safety protocols by default sounds like a neat idea. By the late point in the Spread of the Outbreak Track the workers are extremely stressed and may be cutting corners in order to cure the virus.

Lab Equipment Names
As you may have guess I randomly put together a list of Lab Equipment names and just assigned them to cards without too much rhyme or reason. Please feel free to change/rearrange the names to make them match the theme of the mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.