Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
158 Posts
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Vaccine: The Boardgame. A Solitaire Boardgame about curing a disease rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate to say it, but that is probably my biggest complaint with Victory Point Games. It does seem like their stuff is playtested very fast.

As in so fast as to miss stuff. I have had friends flat out refuse to play their multiplayer stuff after being burned to many times. The offenders of this were Final Frontier, Star Borders: Humanity, and Destined Hero.

I played these games with different friends and they now all refuse to play VPG games again.

Their apps on the iPhone and iPad seemed to generate the same response on the BGG when it came out. I do have both iPhone games and I do quite like those. I waited for the update and didn't see the bugs that were mentioned in the forums.

On, the other hand, I have found their solitaire stuff to be fun and top notch. In Magnificent style was awesome. Legions of Darkness was also great fun (but maybe a bit easy). I keep buying their games in the hopes of not getting burned again, but I really do hesitate with the multiplayer stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gibson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
radchad wrote:
I hate to say it, but that is probably my biggest complaint with Victory Point Games. It does seem like their stuff is playtested very fast.

As in so fast as to miss stuff. I have had friends flat out refuse to play their multiplayer stuff after being burned to many times. The offenders of this were Final Frontier, Star Borders: Humanity, and Destined Hero.

I played these games with different friends and they now all refuse to play VPG games again.

Their apps on the iPhone and iPad seemed to generate the same response on the BGG when it came out. I do have both iPhone games and I do quite like those. I waited for the update and didn't see the bugs that were mentioned in the forums.

On, the other hand, I have found their solitaire stuff to be fun and top notch. In Magnificent style was awesome. Legions of Darkness was also great fun (but maybe a bit easy). I keep buying their games in the hopes of not getting burned again, but I really do hesitate with the multiplayer stuff.

I am trying to play test my game every night, choosing different personnel and equipment cards each time to see if I can find something broken. If I do, then I send them an email with an update of the rules/cards. I do want to provide product to both VPG and their customers that is fun and challenging.

So far my experience has been very close games where I am winning or losing within the last 3 turns of the game. So there is a tension building where you don’t know if you will pull it off—until you do…or don’t.whistle

By the by, this game plays quite differently from the Going Viral game I submitted to the 2012 Print n Play Solitaire contest. The print and play did not have Personnel Cards, Equipment Cards, or Protein tokens. The CDC game does not have the variable pricing Incubator or Event table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I know, John. I wasn't trying to slag your game. I was just making a comment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gibson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
radchad wrote:
Oh, I know, John. I wasn't trying to slag your game. I was just making a comment.

Gotcha!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gibson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So after some more playtests I made a few more changes to the rules and to the Equipment Cards after some more play tests.

Here are the areas I changed:

In the Section 3: Setting up the game, I have made following change regarding the Lab cards:

1. Shuffle the Lab Equipment and Personnel cards together, and then place them, face down, to the right of the game board. Then draw the top 5 cards, and without looking at them, set them aside as they will not be used in this game. Then draw the next top 3 cards and flip them over, face up, and place them below the Lab deck. These will be the cards available for you to buy (or hire) in your first turn.

This will allow for more repeat plays because you will get a different combination of cards each time you play. A person who has a winning strategy using Dr. Melinda Yee and Marvin the Rat might not get both of them on a particular game, or even any of them.

I updated lab section 5.2 regarding negative Lab effects:

• Negative Effect: These are effects that are detrimental to the player, such as not being able to use Mark III Lab Equipment this round. These effects are not optional. If a lab event says that you cannot use specific Personnel or Equipment cards—and you own them—then turn them sideways for this round to remind yourself you cannot use them.

Just an easier way to keep track of which cards you can't use on a particular turn.

I updated the lab equipment card section 6.3 by adding a note:

NOTE: There are Equipment cards that can only be used during specified stages of the Death Toll Track—these 3 are all Mark IV cards.

I made changes to the Lab equipment cards regard which ones can only be used during certain stages. All the Mark IV cards have these limitations. The Mark I, Mark II and Mark III can now be used at any stage of the Death Toll Track:

MARK IV - $8

• You may flip over 3 Molecules from the draw pile. Discard 2 to the discard pile. The other will be the first Molecule selected when you draw an Event Card. (Only works during Death Toll Stage 1)

• Once per turn, you may destroy a Molecule with only 1 visible side. All other conditions still apply. (Only works during Death Toll Stage 2)

• Once per turn, you may disassemble an incomplete Molecule (missing 1 or more Proteins) and redistribute those Proteins to other incomplete Molecules. (Only works during Death Toll Stage 3)

In my play testing I found that the card that allowed you to draw 3 Molecules and then discard 2 was too powerful at the last Stage of the game when there are very few Molecules left in the draw pile, so that is why you can only use it during Stage I.

Added a tip to lab card use 6.3.2:

TIP: After rolling the die, whether you fail or succeed, place the die on the equipment card you just used to keep track that you used it.

I found in play testing that if I didn't place the die on the card I had just used I might forget if I had tried using a lab card during the course of playing out a single turn. I got so focused on figuring out which Antibodies to work on that I would forget to use my lab card powers on some turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gibson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and I am REALLY looking forward to bringing my prototype to FallCon in Calgary this Saturday. w00t! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gibson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I just got some news today about the development process of my solitaire boardgame INFECTION: Countdown to Extinction.

Here is an email exchange between me and Alan Emrich, the president of Victory Point Games:

Alan:
We printed up a copy of your new rules for internal playtesting yesterday.
We should have an idea of how things are going in-house by Wednesday of next week, which will hopefully let us move into external testing.

Me:
I am both excited and terrified at the same time...

Alan:
Well, I’m happy to tell you then, that you’re doing it right. That’s exactly how you should feel right now. I get that way with every game I work on!!
P.S. I understand that Petra Schlunk will be coming into the office today to look at your game. She’s good, and we will want to listen to her feedback…

Me:
"Petra Schlunk fell in love with gaming while she was supposed to be studying biophysical microphenomena in molecules, and quickly switched from science to writing about games after finishing her doctorate."
:: Gulp! ::

Alan:
Muhuhahahah…. ;-)
Yeah, a German scientist type with a degree in this sort of thing. I know… that’s all you need now, right? Don’t worry; she’s the best.

For those of you who don't know, Petra has published some Strategy Guides for video games:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dap...+

KEWL HUH?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome news!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.