16 Posts

Merchants & Marauders» Forums » Variants

Subject: GP rule for a more thematic game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David G

Colorado
msg tools
The last couple games I've played nobody has done a rumor. Disclaimer - I am playing with my two boys (8 and 6), and they tend to either sell cargo or raid merchants, and they love the Missions.

Looking around the Geek, there are a lot of interesting ideas for variants. If you're serious about playing the game, I don't know if this is for you. But my boys and I play it for fun, for the thematic story. I feel this helps vary the story.

It should be self-explanatory, but if it's not:

There are 7 ways to get Glory Points. You are required to get 10 to win. You are limited to 5 GP by stashing gold, and 1 GP for buying a new Galleon or Frigate. The rest of the categories are unlimited.

In this variant, all of the categories are limited to 3 (except the buying a new ship which is still 1.) Players are also required to get at least 1 GP from 5 different categories. This forces you (my kids) to try a variety of different things during the game.

We play that if you do something to achieve a GP, but have reached your limit in that particular category, you still receive a Glory Card.

We also play that the 3 stashing GP's increase in price from 10 gold to 30 gold. Generally everyone gets the first 2 stash GP’s. The third might make you think hard about doing something else.

Finally, we play where Missions get 5 turns on the board before disappearing and drawing a new one.

Each player gets one of these sheets, and we use extra markers to keep track of what we've done. I'm thinking about laminating them, though, so we can use dry erase markers.

Edit:
Over the course of this past year, the scoresheet has evolved. I thought I'd update what we use.

We merged Selling Cargo and Merchant Raids - the two main moneymakers for pirates and merchants. With the categories separate, we discovered the easiest strategy was to start as merchant and turn pirate (or visa versa if you could get the pardons.)

We also increased the amount for Gold Stashing. The 10 is a gimme, the 25 is expected, and the 40 is difficult.

Defeating A Player/NPC should really be an unlimited category, and someone maxed it out at 3 once, so we increased it. If anyone ever maxes it out at 6, I'll increase it again.

We made a sheet for longer games (12 in 6.) You have to get at least one GP in each category. Woe to the NPC pirate sloop who appears on the map late in the game.

And finally, I made them slightly smaller and put them in an 8.5x11 printable document. I like to print them on yellow or orange paper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Harris
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 10 from 5 of 7
Excellent. Just Excellent.

Small thing...I wish you would change the topic title to something more engaging. I ALMOST skipped right over this one, and that would have been a pity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool idea! I would think that it would make the game longer (and it seems like it is probably already kind of long for most kids). Of course, you could just pare it down to (say) 7 points in 4 categories or something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Bigmore
England
Abingdon
Oxon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice idea. Just a slight clarification:

Ghetty wrote:
You are limited to 5 GP by stashing gold, and 1 GP for buying a new Galleon or Frigate.

You're only limited to 1GP for the ship upgrade with the same captain. Getting a new captain means you are eligible for the upgrade GP again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Graber
United States
Louisville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg R.
United States
Indian Trail
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love it!! I will try it with my family.

Edit: What font did you use? I am going to print these up with our house rules on the back. TIA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris H.
Germany
flag msg tools
I like it, thought about such a variant, too. Makes rumors and missions more important, which I think is crucial because it IS an adventure game.

Once we started with everybody having a mission in his home-port. Has been my most fun-play. Since not every mission is so cool it had enough luck, actually only 1 person really took it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G

Colorado
msg tools
TurquoiseKnight wrote:
Love it!! I will try it with my family.

Edit: What font did you use? I am going to print these up with our house rules on the back. TIA

Sorry I didn't see this earlier - I'm only a year late with my post. I used a font called Anfalas, I think I downloaded it from dafont.com.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r0t1 prata
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi David I've printed this and we're going to try it for our next game. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Eshelman
United States
Windsor Heights
Iowa
flag msg tools
mb
I bought a used copy of this on ebay and it will be here later in the week. I don't plan on playing this game even once without your brilliant variant. Kudos!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hrvoje Roncevic
Croatia
Zagreb
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried it yesterday and it went great.

Thanks for the variant.

EDIT: We used the first version of variant. I think I prefere it, although I did won using the exact "exploits" that ver2 is addressing. I had 3 Merch Raids, 2 cargo deliveries, 1 ship upgrade, 2 missions and 2 gp in gold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
David, how would you incorporate the Glory rewards from Merchants & Marauders: Seas of Glory for Contraband, and Plundering Locations into this system?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G

Colorado
msg tools
I totally missed out on Seas of Glory. By the time I had heard it had been released, it was already sold out. I'm hoping for a reprint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghetty wrote:
I totally missed out on Seas of Glory. By the time I had heard it had been released, it was already sold out. I'm hoping for a reprint.
Oh man, sorry. Seas of Glory is fantastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Moore
United States
Waynesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

There are plenty of copies on eBay and Amazon both..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PFGamer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really appreciate your variant here. Our group had the same problem with Missions (you solved this with a 5-turn rule), but we often play games where Rumors are unused as well. This typically happens with Captains who are 2 or lower in Influence, no matter what they select as a profession.

I'm interested to try this soon, if I can get my group together.

EDIT: Have you thought about doing a more "formal" write-up and posting this to the Files section as a .PDF? I think you would get a lot of positive feedback on that. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.