Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What can I say, I'm a sucker for variety. So I don't like it that each character has one skill token that you don't get to use in the co-op game modes, especially since the main effect of each token can be pretty handy even without foes to hurt.

So, why not use them in co-op and reverse the effects so they help your allies instead of hurting your foes? Easy to remember since its on the reference sheet anyway.

Here's what I was thinking (the changed part for each ability is in green).

Tovak
Mana Exploit: Once a round: Choose a color other than gold and gain a mana token of that color. Until the start of your next turn, other players heal 1 when they use mana of any other color on their turn, limit 1 healing per color per player. Then take this token back and flip it.

Norowas
Prayer of Weather: Once a round: Put this skill token in the center. Until the start of your next turn, the Move cost of all terrain is reduced by 2 for you (to a minimum of 1) and is reduced by 1 for all other players (to a minimum of 1). Then take this token back and flip it.

Arythea
Healing Ritual: Once a round, except in combat: Flip this to throw away up to two wounds from your hand. One other hero may throw away one wound from their hand.

Goldyx
Source Freeze: Once a round: Put this skill token in the Source. While it is there, other players can use one extra die from the source. On your next turn, gain one crystal of any basic color represented in the Source to your inventory (do not reroll that die), then take that token back and flip it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Using the competitive skill tokens in a co-op game
StormKnight wrote:
What can I say, I'm a sucker for variety. So I don't like it that each character has one skill token that you don't get to use in the co-op game modes, especially since the main effect of each token can be pretty handy even without foes to hurt.

So, why not use them in co-op and reverse the effects so they help your allies instead of hurting your foes? Easy to remember since its on the reference sheet anyway.

Very nice idea. Would make the co-op version *slightly* easier, but not by much. Let us know how you get on with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
op version *slightly* easier, but not by much. Let us know how you get on with them.

Out of curiosity, why do you say this would make the game easier? As is, you just leave these tokens out of co-op or solitaire play. The idea was to boost them up so they are comparable with the other skills.

For example, Source Freeze done this way would give Goldyx a crystal and the other player a mana, as compared to a few skills that give Goldyx a mana and Goldyx a crystal. It potentially gives more variety, but less reliability. Seems about the same.

Now, perhaps they should all only work on one other player so they don't vary in usefulness based on total number of players (I don't think I'll play Mage Knight with more than 2 players, so I tend to think of it as a 2 player game ) However, as is the interactive skills sort of vary based on number of players anyway, so I'm not sure that's a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Helme
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like this idea because it increases the interactivity and team play of the co-op game that, as I've heard, could be somewhat like multiplayer solitaire.

Hoping to get this for Christmas!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.