GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,714 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

1776» Forums » Reviews

Subject: 1776 Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Eastside, Esq.
United States
Richmond Hts.
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Avalon Hill's 1776 is a solid simulation of the Revolutionary War. Granted, since it was introduced in 1974, it is a bit dated, but it has kept much of its luster for me.

The components of the game are standard Avalon Hill fare for the time period. However, I have always had a soft spot for good ol' AH hex and counters. The map is, in my opinion, gorgeous. It is full color and depicts colonial America from Quebec to Georgia.

The gameplay is separated into 3 different games: the basic game, the advanced game, and the campaign game. The basic game outlines the basic rules (obviously), then the advanced and campaign games introduce additional rules. This system is well-suited to learning the game.

The basic game is a single scenario to teach players the movement and combat system. One player executes his/her movement phase and then combat phase. Their opponent then executes their movement and combat phases.

The advanced game consists of 4 scenarios (the invasion of Canada, the Saratoga campaign, Greene's Southern campaign, and the Viriginia-Yorktown campaign). The advanced game builds on the information taught in the basic game and introduces advanced combat options, supply, fortifications, entrenchments, magazines, artillery units, dragoon units, militia units, and Indian units. These additional factors deepen the gameplay and produce a richer game experience. This is, of course, to be expected because the basic game is not much more than movement and fire.

The campaign game is where 1776 truly shines. It simulates the entirety of the war. Also, in addition to the advanced game, it introduces further considerations such as bateaus, forced marches, strategic areas and allocations (used to determine reinforcements), French intervention and many more. These further rules allow for a more in depth feel of the factors that influenced the Revolutionary War.

Please note, both the advanced and campaign games also offer additional optional rules which I have not listed due to the scope of this review. However, these additional rules allow for additional realism in gameplay.

Overall, a solid game and one that I heartily recommend to enthusiasts of the Revolutionary War. One that I wish I had more time to enjoy, but I do manage squeeze in a couple of plays a year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kohls
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hello,

I am looking for opportunities to play 1776. I am in Silicon Valley in CA and will play by E-Mail on the above the fields.com site if interested players are not local. I have only played the game once, but enjoyed it.

Thank you.

David Kohls

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.