Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
343 Posts
[1]  Prev «  10 , 11 , 12 , 13 , 14  | 

A Few Acres of Snow» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules changes from Martin Wallace rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: favorite_information [+] rules [+] DaFrog [+] AFAoS [+] AFAOS-rules [+] [View All]
Gavan Brown
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rofl @ 530 thumbs on this thread
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Easton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It's so sad, that even M. Wallace seems to let this die instead of further working on fixes...

My understanding is that Mythotopioa is the "next version" of AFAOS.

So, rather than work on more fixes, I think the idea is, "If AFAOS is still not working for you, just play Mythotopia."

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavan Brown
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sven,

The game is amazing. It's one of the most intense boardgames I've played in my life. Just play it and have fun. You'll be happy you did.

Keep rollin' sixes,

Gavan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sven, just try this file. It's a rule from Wallace and used in a site, adapted to use with some cards.

Use as per item 2 "Balancing tool". There are 190,050 different ways to play the game. One side choose the variants, the other pick the side to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
natsean wrote:
Quote:
It's so sad, that even M. Wallace seems to let this die instead of further working on fixes...

My understanding is that Mythotopioa is the "next version" of AFAOS.

So, rather than work on more fixes, I think the idea is, "If AFAOS is still not working for you, just play Mythotopia."

Kevin

Mythotopia has its own problems. Not broken, but the end game feels very lackluster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Fritzsche
Germany
Wolfsburg
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
mb
RoosterJuice wrote:
Sven,

Just play it and have fun. You'll be happy you did.

Gavan

Thanks RoosterJuice, I'll probably just follow this advice

Also Thanks PauloSantoro for the PDF. It's a nice way to try different variants. I understand that they also all go on top of the 2 ed. rules.

Regarding Mythotopia, the theme doesn't work for me like the theme of AFAoS does... but thanks for the advice.

Thanks for your replies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Easton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Mythotopia has its own problems. Not broken, but the end game feels very lackluster.

I think that is just a vanilla issue of taste.

We've played it about half-dozen times and haven't see the issue talked about on the forums.

We also played the "Dominion Variant," when the games just ends when enough piles run out. That's fun, but just a different kind of fun from the RAW.

So, when you say it has problems, I think it has the same problems that every game has on issues of taste.

AFAOS was different, I think. Tough to argue away the HH on taste.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon McVety
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

If you like Snow but are worried about the balance, check out Hands in the Sea.

Same mechanics but without the static starting cards, which should help out the imbalance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Le Roux
Canada
Montréal
QC
flag msg tools
mbmb
Noahboa wrote:

The new rules have been out for months now. Hundreds of games have been played - mainly online on yucata - and a body of evidence shows the game is still broken. Just go look at the winning records of the top-ranked players on yucata.

I am still playing games with the restricted governor variant. I still think it's a promising variant and I've been seeing more French wins in the current batch of games (mainly because I finally understand the awesome benefits of an early attack on Pemaquid).

By no means do I have as many plays as the top commenters here (I must have 4 or 5 tops) but what bothers me with the "no govern starting location" variant is that it removes the possibility of taking the risk of leaving the Philadelphia zone undefended, which I'd like to see the French take advantage of.

I was wondering if another possible variant would be to be prevented from shuffling the discard pile when there are fewer than 5 cards in it. Thus, one can have a thin deck if there are no sieges but, should there be one, the Brits can be in a state where their discard pile would never be reshuffled unless they purposefully decide to abandon the siege.

I have yet to try this variant so there might be an obvious flaw I have yet to see but I was eager to get your opinion on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rooks
Japan
Kobe
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chargetheguns wrote:
The HH was never an instant 100% win. I've beaten it on Yucata.

Played correctly, the HH was a 100% win (at least under v1 rules). There weren't too many people who could play it perfectly every time. Tim Seitz (Out4Blood) was one of those people (massive props, may he rest in peace).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Vazquez
Brazil
Curitiba
PR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mopeymatt wrote:
It was broken and it's still broken. If people want to argue about the exact percentage they can, but I don't see the point in that.

Fact. Unbelievable it still is on TOP 200 here... people just can´t accept the fact it´s broken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jigmelingpa wrote:
chargetheguns wrote:

Played correctly, the HH was a 100% win (at least under v1 rules). There weren't too many people who could play it perfectly every time. Tim Seitz (Out4Blood) was one of those people (massive props, may he rest in peace).

Missed this when it was posted cause you know ... broken. But Tim is dead?!! Do you have any other information or know how it happened?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PauloSantoro wrote:
Sven, just try this file. It's a rule from Wallace and used in a site, adapted to use with some cards.

Use as per item 2 "Balancing tool". There are 190,050 different ways to play the game. One side choose the variants, the other pick the side to play.

And the Halifax Hammer will win all of them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Easton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Fact. Unbelievable it still is on TOP 200 here... people just can´t accept the fact it´s broken.

I think the simple explanation is that theoretical issues of "broken" might not mean anything to many people.

I have no problem saying the HH is a broken strategy based on what I've read about it. I also have no problem recommending the game to people with the caveats to avoid reading about HH and play 2nd edition rules.

I know about the existence of the Hammer, but haven't studied it in depth. My son and I have played about 20 times now over the years and we still get a kick out of it. I think I paid $35 for it, so it isn't a lifestyle game in which one strategy will make me throw it out the window.

I think we put too much stock in "broken" around here. Or rather, people that claim a game is broken expect it to just not be played at all. However, for many people just playing games in their kitchens or home groups, the concept is next to meaningless.

So, I accept the fact that the Hammer can break the game, but I don't care for $35 and potential hours of entertainment I can get if I ignore that one approach to the game.

I think other people feel similarly.

I think you have to take the issue of "broken" and then put it into practical application. Most of us have tons of games and this one issue doesn't mean we can't get requisite enjoyment from the game or enjoy the design despite this one flaw.

Theory vs. practice, I believe, is what accounts for the popularity of the game. I still enjoy the game with my son from time to time, so telling me it is broken doesn't really impact me much.

The practical impact was to avoid the strategy forum like the plague once I knew about the existence of the Hammer to make sure I didn't know how to pull it off. I've been successful in that, so the game still works for us.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Easton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

I think the truth is that when circumstances are such that the Hammer cannot be avoided, the life of the game has run its course for you.

You either need to find a new partner or move on to a different game.

My main point is, though, that there is a ton of life in between unboxing and ,"Oh, crap, the Hammer won again!"

Fun can be had in the middle space.

Whether that is worth $40 is up to the individual, but I think the "The game is totally broken so avoid it," trope that we still hear is overblown and rather fatalistic.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mikecl wrote:
jigmelingpa wrote:
chargetheguns wrote:

Missed this when it was posted cause you know ... broken. But Tim is dead?!! Do you have any other information or know how it happened?

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/10673918#10673918
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
PauloSantoro wrote:

I can't see how. There are several rules that are best for French. I remember Tim telling that a problem when trying to fix the game was the fact that some minor changes could make French win easily, instead of British! So, with this set of rules to apply, two players can rebalance the game according to their skills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alastair Cornish
United Kingdom
Bromley
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct me if I'm wrong but pretty much the last word from Tim Seitz (Out4Blood) on it was after playing more than just about anyone (1st and 2nd ed) he felt playing 1st edition rules but removing the Bateaux from the French starting deck was well balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  10 , 11 , 12 , 13 , 14  |