Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
343 Posts
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [14] | 

A Few Acres of Snow» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules changes from Martin Wallace rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: favorite_information [+] rules [+] DaFrog [+] AFAoS [+] AFAOS-rules [+] [View All]
Darcy Burgess
Canada
Oxford Mills
Ontario
flag msg tools
Knave wrote:
Losing a siege/raid is now a disaster, since you can't reserve the worthless card.

Phrased differently, Governor is much more important. YES.

D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josko Tosic
Croatia
Sibenik
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice present for New Year from Martin Wallace. My family and friends will also take part in giving presents. We'll give AFAoS a 10 since the shadow (HH)over it is gone. Great job Martin. I appreciate the fact you acknowledged the problem and made an effort in fixing it.
I'd also like to thank Tim, Clyde, Matthew and other guys who have been persistent enough to keep playing in order to provide Martin and his team of playtesters with sufficient information regarding HH and possible changes or variants.
Now I'm sure I'm not going to ask for a Halifax hammer next time I enter a hardware shop as I did weeks ago. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I haven't been keeping up at all. But I just did read another attack on FFG and got a little caught up.

Windopaene wrote:
willythesnitch wrote:
If this were a FFG title, there would be a thousand posts about lack of play-testing before release.

So you haven't been reading the AFAOS posts?

There have been a ton already of this nature. They weren't done in a nasty tone, as they likely would have for a FFG release though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angeral Peng
Taiwan
Taipei City
flag msg tools
badge
To conceal one's fame and ability
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't wait, Thanks Martin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Vazquez
Brazil
Curitiba
PR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simply amazing! I knew something good would come. The fact is, Mr. Wallace is the man.

Some people were questioning the rank position of A few Acres, but the fact is - the game is incredible. And now it will be even more!

Sorry about the above. I was wrong. The new rules are terrible and Mr. Wallace doesn't seem to have grasped the problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mumford
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ceci n'est pas une pipe
mbmbmbmbmb
furtherbum wrote:
quartex wrote:
For those of us waiting on the sidelines, I'm curious when a second edition with the new rules (and fixed cards) might be printed.
Same here. I'll own the game at some point, I just haven't picked it up yet. At this point, it seems like I can wait a bit longer if formal fixes are coming.
This is the 'formal' fix. You can always wait, but you are just missing out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
willythesnitch wrote:
If this were a FFG title, there would be a thousand posts about lack of play-testing before release.

See the last sentence of Martin's post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
So the Halifax Hammer wasn't real afterall. It was all just a bad dream... just a bad dream.

Seriously, though, kudos to those individuals who had the game's best interests at heart and explored the subject with objectivity and persistence despite the usual BGG catcalls. You know who you are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Kotler
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
I Love Heavy Dry Soulless Euros!!!
badge
When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That's my religion.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Martin! Can somebody please PDF these new rules and post them in the files section?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Martin and all the Treefrog team.

This is the best new game of 2011 and a genre-establishing title.

Rating up to 10!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
Brazil
Interior de São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chrswlf wrote:
These seem like outstanding changes and I'm eager to test them out.

I have one question: do you think it would be possible to offer card blanks? I'd like to order a few for the sake of printing up 1) a fixed Venango card, 2) a lighter-blue bateaux, and 3) replacements for cards that have been damaged (as I'm sure my wife and I will be playing A Few Acres for a long while).

Thanks, and have a happy new year!

That would be great, but I would prefer than already printed (specially for the fix).

Fort Venango sleeved past N up is no fix once the card will be different from others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome. I understand all of the changes except this one.

Quote:

3. Raids - the raid distance is now two connections plus one connection for each additional card played (so playing two Native American cards would allow you to raid a location up to three connections away).

Could be that I'm forgetting something, but what's the reason for this? Martin? Tim? (lol)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It makes Raid's more dangerous which can cripple the British player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Looking forward to FAoS returning to its former glory.

A question to the more hardened HH players: With these official rules changes, is the British siege of Halifax still the optimal first order of business?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David H
Canada
flag msg tools
You can't fall when you've hit the bottom
mbmbmbmbmb
Don Smith wrote:
Thanks Martin and all the Treefrog team.

This is the best new game of 2011 and a genre-establishing title.

Rating up to 10!

A little presumptuous to rate this a 10 before trying the game with the new rules, no?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Superficially love the rules changes, especially as someone who prefers guerilla-style French play, but even more excited by this prospect:
Quote:
Changing the rules is effectively the same as the changing card combinations in Dominion. What I am planning on doing is publishing varients on the Treefrog website. It's probably best to think of them as scenarios. Some of these will take the form of'what-ifs', allowing the game to diverge from published history.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
garygarison wrote:

A question to the more hardened HH players: With these official rules changes, is the British siege of Halifax still the optimal first order of business?

Probably not the guy you want to answer, and I think you meant settle (not siege), but my gut says that it is a riskier proposition. Even if you win the inevitable French siege of Halifax, you give them an opportunity to thin and get some money flowing fast. Then, you give them some time to retool. Still not a bad way to go, just, well, riskier.

Probably be whole new sets of optimization, play and counter-play with these new rules!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
It makes Raid's more dangerous which can cripple the British player.

I enjoy raiding as a Brit too. I often try NOT to play the Hammer when I'm playing as Britain though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Ulman
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very exciting! Literally just finished a game (a crushing French defeat via HH, although admittedly it was as much due to poor French play as anything else) when I hopped online and saw these changes. Definitely playing again with the new rules changes very shortly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bestia immonda
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
garygarison wrote:

I'll say no.
Maybe an early siege of Port Royal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
nicktaruffi wrote:
garygarison wrote:

I'll say no.
Maybe an early siege of Port Royal?

I'd probably build up first. All I know is I might die of excitement to see a British player buy an early Governor. And, it is probably going to be way too much for my black heart to take, if the Brit player actually buys their Trader!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kwasny
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just to play devil's advocate, I wonder how long until players start to worry about unbeatable French strategies? From my limited plays, I have always felt the French had the advantage in this game (except perhaps for the Halifax strategy, which I never played nor faced and have never been so sure about). Increasing the range of raids, streamlining the French opening, and blunting the British ability to use Home Support, if this really does ease the pressure on Nova Scotia, it could turn loose an unstoppable French raiding and settling machine. The best answer to rapid French settlement and accumulation of Native Americans was to raise lots of money and turn the game into a military fight. If these changes weaken that ability too much, there is going to be bigger problems ahead.

I must also admit, I am disappointed. When Waterloo was found to have a serious problem, he took a year to respond then offered a suggestion based on his acknowledgement that he really didn't remember how to play the game! The fix failed badly. I guess we Waterloo players didn't whine and complain loud enough, or create long enough threads, to warrant attention.

Interestingly, the discussion of the Halifax issue re-kindled my interest in this game. The fact that Wallace has now admitted that he agrees the game as published didn't work has denuded me of all interest in the game. Thank goodness for the other new games I got for Christmas!

True, you can't please everyone. This all just goes to prove the old cliche - the squeaky wheel gets the oil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
mvkwasny wrote:
Interestingly, the discussion of the Halifax issue re-kindled my interest in this game. The fact that Wallace has now admitted that he agrees the game as published didn't work has denuded me of all interest in the game.
Little confused which games you're referring to here. Few Acres? Or Waterloo?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stein
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Martin! I've been holding off teaching this to 2 friends because the expected mods were in Limbo. Now it's Vive la Guerre!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
mvkwasny wrote:
Increasing the range of raids, streamlining the French opening, and blunting the British ability to use Home Support
Raids and Home Support are tools usable by both players. Removing the Bateau sure is sweet though; that card is such a dog in the French deck.

Quote:
This all just goes to prove the old cliche - the squeaky wheel gets the oil.
I don't think that's how that goes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [14] |