Recommend
22 
 Thumb up
 Hide
57 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Trades

Subject: Clearing Christmas Crap Canadian Math Trade - Discussion Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vast Aire
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
X-Mas has come and gone and you probably didn't get the games you were looking for. No worries. Another math trade is here for you to try to trade away all the copies of Monopoly and Boggle you found under the X-Mas tree.

Please make sure to read through all the rules and pay attention to all posted dates/times.

For everyone new to Math Trades be sure to check out the following link for a video tutorial on math trades.

Math Trade Video Tutorials

Note: You MUST have a Canadian mailing address to participate in this Math Trade.

Trade Geeklist: Clearing Christmas Crap Canadian Math Trade

Request GeekList: Clearing Christmas Crap Canadian Math Trade - Request List


Submissions Dates/Times:

Posting Games: Wednesday January 4th (10:00 PM EST) to Monday January 9th (8:00 PM EST)

Want List Submissions: Monday January 9th (8:00 PM EST) to Wednesday January 11th (11:00 PM EDT)

Results posted shortly thereafter.


Rules (Please read carefully):

1. Board Games, RPG's, Video Games and items outside the scope of BGG are all permitted.

2. Gift Certificates and Geek Gold entries are permitted. Gift Certificate and GeekGold arbitrage are NOT allowed. Neither are cash offerings.

3. Non-game entries must be added using "Outside the Scope of BGG" (Game ID 23953). Make sure to use the +altname+ brief description -altname- format in the description of your item for it to properly show up in the OLWLG.

4. You must describe the condition of your games as accurately as possible. This includes both the box and it's contents.

5. You must clearly state the editions and languages of all games posted. Do not just state "edition as posted", as pictures do not show up in the OLWLG.

6. Shipping - You shall be required to cover full shipping to any location within Canada.

7. Do NOT delete any entries after they have been submitted. Just include a blank wantlist for that particular item instead.

8. Please do NOT include links to any other games (or items) in your entries, so that they are not misleadingly displayed as sweetners in the OLWLG.

9. Use of the On-Line Want List Generator (OLWLG) is required for submissions. Refer to the following document for help:
http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/OLWLG

10. If you have been reported as a bad trader, do NOT try to participate. Any entries made will be removed.

11. Any other questions or issues, just ask.



Software Used: TradeMaximizer 1.4 (with duplicate protection) SEED=1234567, ITERATIONS=100

%Options%
Deadline-Offers: Monday, January 9th, 2012, 8:00 PM EST
Deadline-Wants: Wednesday, January 11th, 2012, 11:00 PM EST
%End%

Good luck and happy trading!
5 
 Thumb up
16.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vast Aire
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Official Wants = http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/99364-officialwants.txt

Results (OLWLG) = http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/trades-summary.cgi?listid=...

Results (TXT) = http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/99364-results-official.txt
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vast Aire
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
# MISSING 5 WANTS (1%) FROM 2 USER(s) (2.7%):
# drmabuse00 (1)
# Mangler (4)


Num trades = 105 of 512 items (20.5%)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danni Durante
Canada
Etobicoke
ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow...never been a first thumb for anything...EVER! Hope it's a good trading omen.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregor Terrill
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm new to trading that requires shipping...can anyone who's participated in these trades before comment on what the typical range for shipping costs are within Canada (for a standard square FFG/DoW style game, let's say)? I'm hesitant to commit if there's the chance that the shipping is going to be half of what the game is worth...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vast Aire
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ensades wrote:
So I'm new to trading that requires shipping...can anyone who's participated in these trades before comment on what the typical range for shipping costs are within Canada (for a standard square FFG/DoW style game, let's say)? I'm hesitant to commit if there's the chance that the shipping is going to be half of what the game is worth...


Anywhere from $11-15 depending on how far it's going to it's destination.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Canada Post has a shipping calculator on their site. If I'm concerned about the price of shipping something, I use that to figure out how much it would cost to ship to both St. John's and Vancouver, and that should cover it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've added my requests to the list. I have a few things to put in the trade, but I'm going to wait and see what's offered to decide how to bundle them (i.e. am I looking for expansions or games... )

Also, if anyone needs extra practice with the OLWLG, and/or would like to help out Math Trade newcomers, I'm running a "Mock Math Trade" at http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/97829/the-return-of-learn-... - We run it like a trade, but not games get shipped, so it's a no-risk introduction to the fun!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
iklinck wrote:
Also, if anyone needs extra practice with the OLWLG, and/or would like to help out Math Trade newcomers, I'm running a "Mock Math Trade" at http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/97829/the-return-of-learn-... - We run it like a trade, but not games get shipped, so it's a no-risk introduction to the fun!

That's awesome. I just checked it out, but it ends well after this real math trade ends. Are you willing to bump up the dates so that the practice will run its course in time to participate in this trade?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
B Factor wrote:
iklinck wrote:
Also, if anyone needs extra practice with the OLWLG, and/or would like to help out Math Trade newcomers, I'm running a "Mock Math Trade" at http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/97829/the-return-of-learn-... - We run it like a trade, but not games get shipped, so it's a no-risk introduction to the fun!

That's awesome. I just checked it out, but it ends well after this real math trade ends. Are you willing to bump up the dates so that the practice will run its course in time to participate in this trade?


Unfortunately, we really don't want to rush a Mock Trade - we want newcomers to be able to ask questions, and really understand what they're doing.

You could participate in that one, to be prepared for the next Canada one. If you still want to participate in this one, I (and, I'm sure, others) will be happy to help you out as much as we can!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
New to math trades, here:

I see some DVDs on the list already, and I have a few box sets (series) that I don't watch anymore. However, I feel like it would be weird to put some Futurama seasons up and then walk away with a game.

Is this something I need to worry about, or will the math trade system make sure the person who gets them actually wants them?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Heffernan
Canada
Smiths Falls
ON
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
swheelock wrote:
New to math trades, here:

I see some DVDs on the list already, and I have a few box sets (series) that I don't watch anymore. However, I feel like it would be weird to put some Futurama seasons up and then walk away with a game.

Is this something I need to worry about, or will the math trade system make sure the person who gets them actually wants them?


You can list them and not worry. The DVDs would only go to someone who put them on their want list (ie: they stated in the OLWLG that they were willing to trade something they listed specifically for the DVDs).
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
christopher_the_fehn wrote:
You can list them and not worry. The DVDs would only go to someone who put them on their want list (ie: they stated in the OLWLG that they were willing to trade something they listed specifically for the DVDs).


Awesome. So, the worst that can happen is that nobody puts my items on their want list, and I end up not trading. Right?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Heffernan
Canada
Smiths Falls
ON
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
swheelock wrote:
christopher_the_fehn wrote:
You can list them and not worry. The DVDs would only go to someone who put them on their want list (ie: they stated in the OLWLG that they were willing to trade something they listed specifically for the DVDs).


Awesome. So, the worst that can happen is that nobody puts my items on their want list, and I end up not trading. Right?



Yep.
3 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks very much!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
iklinck wrote:
...
Also, if anyone needs extra practice with the OLWLG, and/or would like to help out Math Trade newcomers, I'm running a "Mock Math Trade" at http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/97829/the-return-of-learn-... - We run it like a trade, but not games get shipped, so it's a no-risk introduction to the fun!


This is an awesome idea. Well done, sir!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vast Aire
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Only 2 more days left to get your items in for trade.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vast Aire
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Final 24 hours remaining to get your trade items in.

If you know anyone who'd be interested in the trade but doesn't know about it (or hasn't gotten their items in yet), get on their ass!!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cannibal Ox wrote:
For everyone new to Math Trades be sure to check out the following link for a video tutorial on math trades.

Math Trade Video Tutorials

Quote:
9. Use of the On-Line Want List Generator (OLWLG) is required for submissions. Refer to the following document for help:
http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/OLWLG

Okay, I've (re-)viewed the above tutorial and (re-)read the above wiki doc (having viewed and read them previously for another trade I lurked on).

1) I just want to make sure that I'm clear on something regarding duplicate protection:

Quote:
Software Used: TradeMaximizer 1.4 (with duplicate protection) SEED=1234567, ITERATIONS=100

When TradeMaximizer uses duplicate protection, this merely means that it's enabled for users who actually choose to advantage of this for themselves via the OLWLG, correct?


2) A hopefully unrelated question, this one on how best to get one's preferred trades:

I also slogged through the TradeMaximizer wiki page trying to get myself a clue. It seems that, while TM can use priorities, those haven't been enabled for this trade, based on the options I read above.

Assuming that's correct, then how should a participant maximize his chances of getting a more preferred (to him) item? I think I gleaned from the TM wiki that, because it tries to maximize the number of trades, someone who is hypothetically crazy enough to check off every single box on his OLWL is going to get stuck with an item that's pretty much less desired by everyone else, since he effectively indicated the most flexibility with respect to what he trades for.

Conversely, someone who puts one single item on his OLWL is either going to get it or won't, but he'll be more likely to get that one item than someone else who, say, included that item amongst a few others on his or her OLWL, simply because TM has been given fewer choices to work with. Am I understanding this correctly?

I hope my questions are clear. Thanks in advance for any reply. And kindly—onegai shimasu—make sure to quote my questions appropriately so that there's no confusion as to which question is receiving which response.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vast Aire
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
B Factor wrote:
1) I just want to make sure that I'm clear on something regarding duplicate protection:

Quote:
Software Used: TradeMaximizer 1.4 (with duplicate protection) SEED=1234567, ITERATIONS=100

When TradeMaximizer uses duplicate protection, this merely means that it's enabled for users who actually choose to advantage of this for themselves via the OLWLG, correct?


That is correct. The OLWLG will not automatically take care of duplicate protection for you. All that is saying is that duplicate protection has been enabled for this trade, but it is up to the individual to take care of it themselves.

B Factor wrote:
2) A hopefully unrelated question, this one on how best to get one's preferred trades:

I also slogged through the TradeMaximizer wiki page trying to get myself a clue. It seems that, while TM can use priorities, those haven't been enabled for this trade, based on the options I read above.

Assuming that's correct, then how should a participant maximize his chances of getting a more preferred (to him) item? I think I gleaned from the TM wiki that, because it tries to maximize the number of trades, someone who is hypothetically crazy enough to check off every single box on his OLWL is going to get stuck with an item that's pretty much less desired by everyone else, since he effectively indicated the most flexibility with respect to what he trades for.

Conversely, someone who puts one single item on his OLWL is either going to get it or won't, but he'll be more likely to get that one item than someone else who, say, included that item amongst a few others on his or her OLWL, simply because TM has been given fewer choices to work with. Am I understanding this correctly?

I hope my questions are clear. Thanks in advance for any reply. And kindly—onegai shimasu—make sure to quote my questions appropriately so that there's no confusion as to which question is receiving which response.


Again you are correct in that priorities are not enabled for this trade and that the TradeMaximizer will do whatever it takes to maximize the greatest number of trades. Generally speaking you are most apt to receive the least wanted item on your tradelist as it will more than likely lead to the greatest number of items changing hands. Which then goes back to the statement "Don't put something on your wantlist that you wouldn't be happy trading for".

Hope this helped.
6 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vast Aire
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So many games were being added right at the deadline that I let the submission deadline slide by 1/2 hour.

We are now OPEN for wantlist submissions. The deadline is this Wednesday night at 11:00 PM EST.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Newell
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Cannibal Ox wrote:
So many games were being added right at the deadline that I let the submission deadline slide by 1/2 hour.

We are now OPEN for wantlist submissions. The deadline is this Wednesday night at 11:00 PM EST.


Heh. I still had two more games I wanted to add once I saw all that good stuff on pages 18-20. Oh, well. I snoozed, I... losed.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Powell
Canada
Gaspé
Québec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cannibal Ox wrote:
So many games were being added right at the deadline that I let the submission deadline slide by 1/2 hour.



Good thing! There was some really excellent stuff added at the last minute there.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vast Aire
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DrSwordopolis wrote:
Cannibal Ox wrote:
So many games were being added right at the deadline that I let the submission deadline slide by 1/2 hour.



Good thing! There was some really excellent stuff added at the last minute there.


Hopefully the extra 40-50 items that were added lead to a higher trade percentage.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Arnold
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cannibal Ox wrote:
So many games were being added right at the deadline that I let the submission deadline slide by 1/2 hour.

We are now OPEN for wantlist submissions. The deadline is this Wednesday night at 11:00 PM EST.


I had a couple more things to be added as well, but I'm glad I got a couple things in there under the wire. It totally slipped my mind and my daughter's bedtime had to be delayed while I took care of business. Ran back up to check my collection and when I came back it was closed.

Like you said, with a slew of new items at the end, a slightly delayed close time is probably a good thing.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.