Donald Acker
China
Suzhou
Jiangsu
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tired of the hapless Persians at Marathon, I decided to try another famous battle: Leuctra. Can Thebes break the mystique of Spartan invulnerability? Maybe . . .

Coins indicate spent units. The pieces are of my own design.

The setup:

Sparta advances all along the line. Notably, a final command point brings up one levy unit on the left. This unit will ultimately win the game for Sparta.

Between the two forces, the cavalry clash. The Spartan levy riders flee.

Sparta attacks on both wings, doing as much harm as good on the right, but beginning to crack the light troops on the left.

Thebes hits back, killing Cleombrotus and damaging most of the Spartans. Meanwhile, the Theban cavalry begin to encircle the demoralized Spartans.

Sparta breaks through on the left, but finds its position perilous on the right. However, the Theban attacks have little effect this round, and the surrounded Spartans hold.

At this point, everything goes wrong all at once for Thebes. First, the redeploying levies attack Thebes' cavalry, destroying both in a single blow. The Theban center holds against attacks from two sides. But not for long . . .

The Sacred Band leads a ferocious counterattack, pushing into the heart of the Spartan phalanx and destroying TWO already spent units. Unfortunately, the Band itself breaks up in the melee. Both sides check morale. And roll 1's. Intimidated by the advance of the Spartan line (note the lone levy holding the Theban right!), the Thebans break and run in both remaining sectors. All Spartan hoplites are spent and flee as well. Only the light troops and the levies far from any enemy hold steady.

With Thebes completely scattered, the armies tally score. Though the Spartans themselves fled en masse, no enemies held the field to tell of this humiliation. With a 37 point lead, Sparta wins a clear victory.

This battle, like my last attempt at Marathon, shows the psychological importance of dominating the field. The one levy on the Theban right gave Sparta its 2-zone margin to incur an army morale penalty, without which the fresh Theban hoplites would have stood their ground.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicely done!

I'm not sure how could both armies break at once... are you sure?
Spent units may not all-out attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Acker
China
Suzhou
Jiangsu
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gorgoneion wrote:
Spent units may not all-out attack.

Oh wow . . .

Well that makes the hoplite compulsion a little less deadly. I guess if I had played that right, the Band would have just made a normal hit, shattered the lead unit, and only Sparta would have panicked. Oops!

Thanks for letting me know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb
Noprob! A rule I always forget is that Hoplite Leaders are obliged to rally if a Hoplite unit gets a hit.

I like the units BTW... where did you get them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Acker
China
Suzhou
Jiangsu
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I made them in Inkscape. They are more abstract than typical top-down paper minis, but I think that's maybe more graphically effective when viewed at a distance. If you like, Geekmail me an email address, and I can send you a copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow... that would be nice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Acker
United States
Hartwell
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nicely done. Your account showed the drama of the battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.