Sara VanderWal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lapsus wrote:
Also, when you have lots of items in a trade, it's always nice if you can plan to arrive a little early (as in BEFORE the set time) so that you can check everything in before the rush. That's especially true if you have so much stuff that you need to "go back home to get a second shipment"...
I trust grinspy had full intentions of delivering his large collection of games himself until a funeral came up and he was forced to arrange alternate transportation. No one with a car offered so Mateen made 2 trips on foot, in the cold, to deliver someone else's games to the trade. Personally, I think that's great even if it meant some games were an hour late. If anyone really thinks that's not ok, they can offer to help out if something comes up next time instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Moore
Canada
East York
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job on the trade Sara. You'll never have everyone happy. It is just an unfortunate fact of life.

Everyone should look on two or three people who are willing to coordinate, sift through lists, and check-in and check-out games as a blessing. Having no one coordinate means you, yes YOU, personally have to find every single one of your trades (or wait for them to find you) and hand them a game. A far inferior system IMO. And the system that was used in the first math trade I participated in that was held in a common area at Yorkdale mall.

That being said, a fixed time for every game to be submitted to the trade would be a good adjustment to an already great system. I was one who had to leave early but I was fortunate enough to have a friend who was willing to pick up my remaining games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caitlyn Paget
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To add another voice to the chorus: excellent MT.

The organization system was very smooth, and the level of organization meant that I felt secure just leaving my games and then picking up the new ones once the crowd had dissipated. It was a nice and relaxing experience, which gave me lots of time to enjoy the cafe.

The best part was having a MT as an excuse for my sister and I to tackle some games we've been interested in a while. We managed to play 7 games, of which only two were ones that we'd played before.

Thanks everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Loblah
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Great job on the math trade! First time I've actually had a game trade in one. The only thing I would say echoes what others have already mentioned, and that is that there needs to be a specific drop-off time.

I sincerely hope that you put together another such well-run event in the future. Thanks!

Best,
Bobloblah
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to admit I was still of the mindset of "starts at 3pm, ends at 5pm". I came in around 3:30, since I had some friends from out of town that were amazed with Honest Ed's. Luckily I inconvenienced at most one person.

Keep in mind that 54 users traded a total of 213 items which, including bundles and sweeteners, means over 300 games for Sara and her small crew of volunteers to handle. To expect everything to be resolved "at 3pm" is a lofty goal.

The fact that S&L offered gaming space for everyone to use was very generous! And I loved looking at the minimalist game posters on the wall...the friends I was with had no clue what any of them meant, but I got all the subtle references! Also bravo to the storefront for having great prices on a wide selection of games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O R
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
“Bugger this. I want a better world.”
badge
"Do not offend the Chair Leg of Truth; it is wise and terrible."
mbmbmb
asm_zero wrote:
Great job on the trade Sara. You'll never have everyone happy. It is just an unfortunate fact of life.
My comments should not be made to be about Sara or S&L. They were not. As we all said, their organization was excellent and things were handled well.

I have been to dozen of these trades, some of which had an online-only organizer, and every time the brunt of the outcome lays on the participants. The organizer is not responsible for the individual traders and should not be blamed nor be apologizing for the participants. This is an especially important (almost legal) point because if games end up missing or other unpleasantness, the last thing a volunteer organizer needs is for people to think they are responsible: they are not.

On the plus side, let's note how the people who were actually responsible for the situation are the ones who are not being defensive, not making up excuses, agreeing that this wasn't ideal and straight up offering apologies (the game condition question was also sorted out, offline directly with Yuval).

Not all comments need to be outright sycophantic for the event to be a success. Participants pointing out stuff that other participants (not organizers) could have done to make it better do not make it any less of a success. Hopefully (and I think this is the case), this is a constructive process and only serve to make the following events even better.

Peace out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Loblah
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mb
tatoolo wrote:
Keep in mind that 54 users traded a total of 213 items which, including bundles and sweeteners, means over 300 games for Sara and her small crew of volunteers to handle. To expect everything to be resolved "at 3pm" is a lofty goal.
The few issues that I and others have mentioned were nothing to do with the volunteers or how they handled things. They were to do with when people arrived with their games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lapsus wrote:
My comments should not be made to be about Sara or S&L. They were not. As we all said, their organization was excellent and things were handled well.
I think there's a tendency for people who know that the volunteers put in a lot of work to jump to their defense - because we want them to be willing to run another one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobloblah wrote:
tatoolo wrote:
The few issues that I and others have mentioned were nothing to do with the volunteers or how they handled things. They were to do with when people arrived with their games.
Yes, you're right. I'm just saying that if EVERYONE showed up at 3pm on the dot, hoping to be in and out in five minutes, that's unrealistic. If you let people trickle in between 3-4pm, then the organizers are handling on average 300/60m = 5 games per minute, which is much more reasonable.

I think in future trades instead of saying "the trade happens at 3pm" or "the trade happens between 3pm and 5pm", to say "all games must be in by 3pm, at which point you can start to collect your games". I'm used to the TABScon trades where I'm usually there all day, so I (as well as perhaps other users) might not be aware of the rules and etiquette for "regular" trades.

I guess I'm not trying to defend someone who showed well past 3pm, but rather defending those of us who were unclear about the time frame and meant no inconvenience. When I saw that the trade was "at" 3pm, I took that to be a start time, not an "all games must be in" time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Frothingslosh
Canada
Caledon
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trades went very well for me. Managed to drop them off at a few minutes past 3:00pm and was out of the building by 3:45 or so.

I may have been able to leave even sooner, but got into a couple of games of Skull. I'm terrible at remembering names. I remember this guy:

Andrew Miller
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

But who were the other two gentlemen? Please stand up and be recognized! Now I need to find a copy of this game for myself whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Moore
Canada
East York
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lapsus wrote:
sycophantic
Complainers will be disintegrated. No exceptions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who are still subscribed to this thread, but may be unaware, there's a new Toronto-Area Math Trade, with the trade taking place at TABSCon on March 17:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/128744/toronto-area-no...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  |